• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Merlin VIP Annual Pass

I think you would still see the increase in dominance over the other tiers as "I have this perk, you don't". However, I think some people act extra irrational with the VIP status so it may decrease slightly.
I try not to be like that but it's not that easy sometimes!

I wonder if it would still sell as much without the nice label? I think people who would otherwise depend on rap will still buy but I can imagine others may seriously consider.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I once literally overheard someone complaining to his friends that the staff (I assume He means SLH bar staff (i was in a SLH room with door open)) completely ignored his VIP status and :eek: made him wait for the 3 (probably non VIP) customers in front of him!

Naturally, he said he was going to have the staff fired!

As far as I'm concerned, the VIP name attached to the pass seems to be what is causing the majority of issues.

@matthewgcole When I say VIP's will re-ride because of comments on TowersStreet I am going based on what I have been told by some other VIP's themselves.
I admit it was a bit of a smug way of saying VIP will get fastrack on wickerman, but that's just because of how often it had been said that we won't.

Personally, I'm not even going to use FT day 1 of Wickerman (in a group with non-VIP's).
You don't have to apologise for using your pass if you wish to. You've bought it, paid for it and so should enjoy it. It's the other alleged spite related stuff being perpetuated that I take issue with.

I think many people on this forum have ironically been vindicated for the views expressed in relation to this pass by the things you have insinuated. Case in point would be that you are normally a perfectly decent contributor to this forum but every time a VIP pass is mentioned the tones of your posts appear to change somewhat.

There are a variety of reasons for people wanting to buy one of these passes and I think, judging by the behaviour of some "VIP" pass holders, may of them seem to buy it as sone sort of bling accessory. This kind of thing is purposely encouraged by Merlin and the way they market this product from that whole hype manufacturing false scarcity "waiting list" nonsense to the vulgar "VIP" name.

I have read through all of the thread about the VIP annual pass and thought that I'd contribute as we've held these passes since their inception.

We're a family of three, my daughter now being 11 years old and just recently hitting the magical 1.4m in height.

We have always loved the theme parks and many years ago became Merlin passholders. Living very close by to Chessington, this gave us the chance to visit three of the Merlin parks frequently.

I have quite a stressful job and have always loved theme parks as I find I can leave my worries at the gate and immerse myself in the theming and atmosphere. It has quite a therapeutic value, being amongst large groups of people mostly having the time of their lives. Our visits increased in number, and at the time of the release of the VIP pass, we were considering whether to renew the incumbent passes - since we were spending more and more time queueing and less time enjoying our favourite rides and attractions.

After some thought we decided to try the new pass and immediately saw the excellent benefits. We have never exploited the ability to hammer the fast-track to death, but instead use it to make a more leisurely day – maybe just doing a couple of rides – or making more use of a day when we only have enough time for a shorter visit. I have never demanded, or even politely asked to be honest, to sit in a particular seat on a ride.

We found that the VIP passholder demographic was quite interesting. It was (and in the main still is) made up of families with younger children, and in many cases where the parents are self-employed. The other section is real rollercoaster enthusiasts, many of whom are single (i.e. without partner or family).

The fact that the community is relatively small meant that people got to know each other quite quickly through meetings and events organised by Merlin. The social side of things has, for many, become as important as the actual day out at a theme park. Many people have found their friendship groups expand enormously, acquainting themselves with others from all different walks of life but connected by a mutual interest.

For the passholders who are on their own, it has been very nice for them to link up with others and families who happen to be in a park on a given day and share the fun with them. Plus, for the children, it has given them a brand new set of friends outside of their schools and neighbourhoods.

A couple of Facebook groups were set up, where members could exchange information, useful tips, answer questions and arrange events.

I have read a great deal about the negative side of some VIP passholders’ behaviour. I do agree with a previous post that you do find awkward and/or rude people in all categories of Merlin customer – VIP or other type of pass holder, RAP user, general admission customer, and so on.

Within the VIP passholder community, we are aware most of the time when there has been poor behaviour and I can say that these people are in the minority. The vast majority of the group are really great people (or least the ones I have met, including some real characters). There are some, however, who have not behaved well and in the main, the wider community takes a very dim view of them. That is for two reasons – firstly, most folk are decent human beings and disagree with bad behaviour; and secondly, we do not want Merlin to get fed up with the group and assume we are all the same.

It really pains me to read stories of bad behaviour towards staff and acts of self-entitlement. In my view, VIP passholders who witness this should report it to staff and I would like to see those responsible lose their passes for good, leaving only the genuinely friendly individuals.

Also, you have ordinary MAPs who can be quite rude to those without any MAPs, for that reason.
Case in point a premium passholder berating a lovely drinks vendor because the passholder didn't seem to understand what don't remove your card meant.

Although you always get a mix of types in any group the fact staff who work at the attractions see the VIP Pass as one they hate dealing with I think the antisocial, self righteous side of the group is a strong one.

Anyway they all have the opportunity to prove us wrong on Saturday when they all enter the main queue for wicker man in the spirit of enjoying the opening atmosphere and leave Fast track rides until after midday.....

Although you always get a mix of types in any group the fact staff who work at the attractions see the VIP Pass as one they hate dealing with I think the antisocial, self righteous side of the group is a strong one.

Anyway they all have the opportunity to prove us wrong on Saturday when they all enter the main queue for wicker man in the spirit of enjoying the opening atmosphere and leave Fast track rides until after midday.....
But why should we?

But why should we?

Wouldn't it be a great gesture though with regards to the theme park community? You could start the movement that for one day all visitors will be happy to queue together for the sake of considering that we all appreciate the rides to the same degree?

Wouldn't it be a great gesture though with regards to the theme park community? You could start the movement that for one day all visitors will be happy to queue together for the sake of considering that we all appreciate the rides to the same degree?
You convince the RAP users as well and I’ll not use my platinum fastrack for Wickerman, deal?

True but if they don’t announce they are RAP and keep their wrists covered they can join us all in the same queue
I tired going FT with a rap band on and ended up being detrained from Rita. I assume main queue would be the same.

With the way it's going, pretty much no more single rider queues, more and more people possibly buying fast track, more RAP users (I'm not in the know, but I bet this has increased exponentially during the past 10 years, compared to the previous 10 years), more people will start getting themselves out to their GP's or whoever and getting entitlement to RAP. It'll be a case of 'Can't beat 'em join 'em'. Only then will they really crack down on who really needs disabled entrance.

With the way it's going, pretty much no more single rider queues, more and more people possibly buying fast track, more RAP users (I'm not in the know, but I bet this has increased exponentially during the past 10 years, compared to the previous 10 years), more people will start getting themselves out to their GP's or whoever and getting entitlement to RAP. It'll be a case of 'Can't beat 'em join 'em'. Only then will they really crack down on who really needs disabled entrance.
You know GPs won't issue a letter without reason, however merlin have no system in place to verify a letter came from a GP other then it being in headed paper.