• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Queen dies, aged 96. The future of the monarchy

It’s flashing up on the signs in Cheltenham Spa train station that the lying in state queue has been temporarily paused… has something happened?

When I saw Mogg randomly last night I thought he either looks incredibly jaded after waiting all that time or he was scared s-less of being seen on camera having queue jumped. Turns out it was the latter, i.e. upper class privilege and entitlement.

I see they have gone from allowing one person each side to stop and have a moment, bow, etc., so having two rows each side and people being ushered on after taking a few more seconds.

In reality, unless you're going to screen out tourists/foreign nationals somehow, they should have added airport style conveyer belts and/or a series of ramps to allow multiple lines of people through. It's a massive industrial operation and loads of people are going to be left disappointed for not getting access.

But you only get a wristband to keep your place when you enter the queue, so if your in the queue for the queue or the queue for the queue for the queue what happens if you need the loo?

But you only get a wristband to keep your place when you enter the queue, so if your in the queue for the queue or the queue for the queue for the queue what happens if you need the loo?
The wristband is to keep your place if you need to leave the queue for food or a loo break.

Who has the time (and money) to go to London and stand in a queue for an entire day for the privilege of being able to stroll past a coffin containing a corpse of someone you don't know? Someone even told the news the other day that it felt like their "mother had died all over again".

Meanwhile, a 9 year old murdered little girl was buried yesterday in Liverpool before she even had a chance to live and it's just a footnote in the news headlines. I make no apologies for saying that I find all this quite sick now.

Government: "The queue to walk past the queen is almost at capacity and is at least 24 hours long. Please do not travel".

British public: "Sounds like a challenge. Let's get there ASAP!".

Who has the time (and money) to go to London and stand in a queue for an entire day for the privilege of being able to stroll past a coffin containing a corpse of someone you don't know? Someone even told the news the other day that it felt like their "mother had died all over again".
People who’ve been have said that it’s surprisingly moving, and that the gravity of the situation doesn’t really hit you until you’re in there. News reporters have said that everyone exiting has looked visibly emotional, even people who didn’t necessarily expect to be.

Also, I know that some people have been affected by it because it reminds them of their own grief. For instance, I know my dad (who doesn’t even particularly like the royals) said he’d been more affected by it than he’d expected because it reminded him of his mum/my nan, who died of cancer in July.

Everyone’s process is different when it comes to death. If some people are comforted by queueing 24 hours to see the coffin, then that’s fine, in my eyes. I don’t really feel any sense of personal loss or severe grief over the Queen’s death, but I know some people have been really quite shaken by it. So much so that I often feel like I’m overly emotionless and don’t respect our monarch enough…