• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Queen dies, aged 96. The future of the monarchy

Anyone got any memories of meeting the queen ?

Here's mine....

The year 1977 (silver jubilee). I was at junior school and the whole junior school walked to stand at the side of the Sheffield Parkway (road connecting M1 with Sheffield town centre).

After what seemed like hours stood there with my union jack on a stick, a big black car drove past at 70 miles an hour. Allegedly the Queen was inside !!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Anyone got any memories of meeting the queen ?

Here's mine....

The year 1977 (silver jubilee). I was at junior school and the whole junior school walked to stand at the side of the Sheffield Parkway (road connecting M1 with Sheffield town centre).

After what seemed like hours stood there with my union jack on a stick, a big black car drove past at 70 miles an hour. Allegedly the Queen was inside !!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I grew up near RAF Northolt and her car drove past me when I was crossing the road once.

Riveting stuff.

A sad day, I was quite surprised to become a little emotional about it but the queen has always been part of my life like nearly everyone else.
It’s going to be a little strange for a while, even the silly little things like the national anthem at sports events will just seem weird.
Queen Elizabeth II served this country with honour for her whole life as she promised, rest in peace ma’am.

I’m not a staunch royalist by any means, but I think it’s very hard not to respect the Queen as an individual.

Whatever you think of the monarchy in general, it is hard to deny that the Queen dedicated her life to serving her country in a very admirable way. She was forced into the public eye from a very young age and rose to that challenge impeccably, in my view. As much as you can argue that she was privileged from a young age, I think being in the public eye in the way that she was comes with its own challenges, and I think she dealt with those challenges very well, personally. For that, I think she was quite an admirable figure.

The Royal Mint has since clarified that all notes remain legal tender for now. Decisions will be made after the 10-day mourning period ends.
All coinage and notes will remain legal tender for years!!!
Currency will not change until it is needed, then new stuff will have Charlies head on it.
They will not pull currency because of a change of monarch.
We used currency for literally decades after the last one!
I remember blokes on old pennies and shillings, they still spent!

OK, so for the great majority of us who now just want to get on with our lives, could I have real world news please, and not repeated statements about a dead monarch.
There are other things happening at the moment, we are not all royalists, there are many other issues that really matter, yet the news has become a single issue programme. There is no other news.
You can't watch a comedy programme on C4, that would be disrespectful at this time, so please watch this programme about buying houses abroad.
That shows respect?
Why???

OK, so for the great majority of us who now just want to get on with our lives, could I have real world news please, and not repeated statements about a dead monarch.
There are other things happening at the moment, we are not all royalists, there are many other issues that really matter, yet the news has become a single issue programme. There is no other news.
You can't watch a comedy programme on C4, that would be disrespectful at this time, so please watch this programme about buying houses abroad.
That shows respect?
Why???
Actually I think we found a taskmaster on something like E4 extra last night...

Cheeky young pup.
I need a new hip if you have one spare.
And another one...programmes but no adverts on the lesser channels.
Downright weird.

I am just blown away people still watch live TV 😜

Feeling quite young and hip for a change!
The main reason is laziness. Too many button presses to get stuff on catch-up!

Anyway we're at risk of going off topic here.

That shows respect?
Why???
I think a lot of people have been hit very hard by the Queen dying. Given that I’ve seen shots of people quite literally sobbing on the news and in the media, I think some people need the constant coverage to process their grief.

I must admit, this whole saga is making me feel like a bit of an emotionless monster… because I don’t really feel an awful lot, if I’m being honest. Yes, what’s happened is sad, and it is a touch weird listening to people saying “God save the King”, but I’ll admit I don’t feel any personal sense of loss or grief; I haven’t really been hit by the Queen’s death, if you get what I mean. I don’t feel anywhere near as sad about the Queen dying as I did about my Nan dying in July, yet the news and the media are suggesting I should be as sad as that if not more so.

Does that make me a bad person?

No Matt, it makes you a normal person. There's no logical reason why the Queen dying should have hit you hard. You didn't know her and she's never done anything of any substance for you. Why would you be particularly upset? I can't think of any logical reason.

Personally I did feel a little tinge of sadness yesterday (that I didn't expect), but I expect that was just that she'd always been there in the background for 40 years of my life. I then got on with my evening and will have a normal day today.

I think a lot of people have been hit very hard by the Queen dying. Given that I’ve seen shots of people quite literally sobbing on the news and in the media, I think some people need the constant coverage to process their grief.

I must admit, this whole saga is making me feel like a bit of an emotionless monster… because I don’t really feel an awful lot, if I’m being honest. Yes, what’s happened is sad, and it is a touch weird listening to people saying “God save the King”, but I’ll admit I don’t feel any personal sense of loss or grief; I haven’t really been hit by the Queen’s death, if you get what I mean. I don’t feel anywhere near as sad about the Queen dying as I did about my Nan dying in July, yet the news and the media are suggesting I should be as sad as that if not more so.

Does that make me a bad person?

If you “don’t really feel an awful lot” then that’s absolutely fine, it doesn’t make you a bad person at all, it’s perfectly normal to not really feel any emotion about this.

Obviously the Queen has been the monarch our entire lives but you’ve probably never met her or had any real connection to her. It can be different when it’s the passing of say a musician or actor or other figure that we have a connection with in some way, whether it’s just through enjoying their work or someone we admire or relate to, we may feel much more emotionally attached even though it’s someone we’ve never met. And we can also feel more emotional or devastated if someone dies in tragic or shocking circumstances, perhaps even more so at a younger age (ie Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse, or Chadwick Boseman for example)

The Queen passed away at the grand old age of 96 and it suppose it was something that we all knew would be coming along sooner or later given her age. So if you don’t really feel anything much then don’t worry about it, you didn’t know her personally and it’s absolutely normal, definitely not anything to judge yourself over.

No Matt, it makes you a normal person. There's no logical reason why the Queen dying should have hit you hard. You didn't know her and she's never done anything of any substance for you. Why would you be particularly upset? I can't think of any logical reason.

Personally I did feel a little tinge of sadness yesterday (that I didn't expect), but I expect that was just that she'd always been there in the background for 40 years of my life. I then got on with my evening and will have a normal day today.
If you “don’t really feel an awful lot” then that’s absolutely fine, it doesn’t make you a bad person at all, it’s perfectly normal to not really feel any emotion about this.

Obviously the Queen has been the monarch our entire lives but you’ve probably never met her or had any real connection to her. It can be different when it’s the passing of say a musician or actor or other figure that we have a connection with in some way, whether it’s just through enjoying their work or someone we admire or relate to, we may feel much more emotionally attached even though it’s someone we’ve never met. And we can also feel more emotional or devastated if someone dies in tragic or shocking circumstances, perhaps even more so at a younger age (ie Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse, or Chadwick Boseman for example)

The Queen passed away at the grand old age of 96 and it suppose it was something that we all knew would be coming along sooner or later given her age. So if you don’t really feel anything much then don’t worry about it, you didn’t know her personally and it’s absolutely normal, definitely not anything to judge yourself over.
Watching the news reporters look like they’re struggling to hold back tears, seeing people sobbing and getting consoled outside the palaces, hearing people on social media saying they “bawled” watching the announcement, and hearing news reporters say that the cost of living crisis is now an “irrelevance” suggested otherwise, so I wasn’t really sure… it’s reassuring to know that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Watching the news reporters look like they’re struggling to hold back tears, seeing people sobbing and getting consoled outside the palaces, hearing people on social media saying they “bawled” watching the announcement, and hearing news reporters say that the cost of living crisis is now an “irrelevance” suggested otherwise, so I wasn’t really sure… it’s reassuring to know that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Different people react differently to death. Took me a while to cry when my gran died and I was very close to her. There are no rules.

As for the Queen, we didn’t know her personally, I haven’t cried at all though I do feel a sense of the gravity of the situation and the change. It’s definitely sad.

Don’t forget though that with the news reporters they also have that element of gravitas with the solemnity and weight of the importance of this historical event they are covering live. I would imagine that it could be a very emotional thing, knowing that you are broadcasting probably the biggest story of your career.

Last edited: