• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Queen dies, aged 96. The future of the monarchy

One thing I did think is; now that Queen Elizabeth II has died, do we feel that support for the monarchy might decline in the long term?
It depends if Charles is going to be the king we saw on Friday, hugging and kissing the public and speaking movingly about his family, or the king we saw yesterday, twice disparagingly gesturing to lowly aides to move an inkpot for him.

The rail and postal strikes have been cancelled. 🙂

I have a suspicion that she might not care at this point tbh.
To clarify, wasn't actually suggesting that were the queen to make her final journey by rail she might end up marooned in a dreadful pumpkin cafe waiting hours for a connection!

Clearly my dry-as-dust sense of humour isn't for everyone!

To clarify, wasn't actually suggesting that were the queen to make her final journey by rail she might end up marooned in a dreadful pumpkin cafe waiting hours for a connection!

Clearly my dry-as-dust sense of humour isn't for everyone!
Don't worry, I know you were just playing. Sensible me just wanted to clarify the point 😛

Taken from FB, worth sharing here.

The British monarchy is worth roughly £73 billion ( one billion is a thousand million) Imagine if this obscene wealth was shared between the 19.3 million famies in the UK? The irony is people will mourn the death of Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as they prepare to face huge financial worries.

But that’s not true, most of the assets belong to the crown which is effectively held in trust for the British people and can’t be sold.
If we abolished the monarchy tomorrow the government is hardly going to sell off the Crown Jewels and Buckingham Palace!

Cash wise I’d be surprised if they had 100 million added together.

But that’s not true, most of the assets belong to the crown which is effectively held in trust for the British people and can’t be sold.
If we abolished the monarchy tomorrow the government is hardly going to sell off the Crown Jewels and Buckingham Palace!

Let me ask you. How does having these assets in a trust for the British people benefit us? It doesnt. At all. It is not like we can use them, like the Royals can and do.

Strictly off limits for us the British people infact, more than likely be arrested for entering these places that are on paper "owned" by us. So I absolutely stand by what I said.

Cash wise, who cares!
Total wealth around twenty billion quid.
The royal art collection alone is conservatively estimated at around ten billion quidsworth.
So your estimate is just a little out.
I would be happy to keep the royal family, and Buck House, but flog off most of the Cornwall and Lancaster estates, all the Crown estate, and all of the crown jewels.
All to the government coffers, to benefit the nation.
That would help to bring a little equality and fairness to our divided isle.

Because countless governments have been really good with money.... The monarchy us politically neutral.

Have people learnt nothing from the mess of BREXIT? Abolishing the monarchy would lead to Decades of trying to rewrite every law.

What about the swans?

Thatcher sold off loads of national assets. Brown sold our gold. Cameron sold our forests. I'm sure Truss could auction off the crown jewels on eBay or something.

Being serious though, if the fairy tale of having a monarchy brings joy to people for some bizarre reason unbeknownst to me then fine. Whatever. But I guess we'll never know if Charles will erode support for the monarchy or not because no one will ever ask us. And even if they did, it wouldn't be a fair fight. Almost every news outlet in this country whitewashes away most opposing views on this subject and always has.

With centuries of brainwashing behind it, I do actually think there is overwhelming support for the monarchy in this country. But we all know the views on it out in the real world are not the same as is often portrayed.

Let me ask you. How does having these assets in a trust for the British people benefit us? It doesnt. At all. It is not like we can use them, like the Royals can and do.

Strictly off limits for us the British people infact, more than likely be arrested for entering these places that are on paper "owned" by us. So I absolutely stand by what I said.
It’s not off limits, you can go and see the Crown Jewels most days, you can also go inside Buckingham Palace. (Although I think it’s closed for refurbishment ATM)
These are museums same as the national gallery, science museum etc etc.
They benefit you and me get is tourists coming to view these things, helping to generate around £100 Billion of income each year which is what tourism brings in.

I don't buy into the idea that tourists wouldn't continuing to visit if the monarchy was abolished and the buildings placed into the hands of the government.

Buckingham Palace would still be a huge draw without having to fund the lifestyle and security of the rich family living within. It would still have historic significance.

£100 billion is absolutely not the boost to tourism given by having somebody sitting on the throne.

The abolishing the monarchy idea has the same amount of supposed benefits as BREXIT.

Where is the convincing argument that isn't well it's not the current situation?

I don't buy into the idea that tourists wouldn't continuing to visit if the monarchy was abolished and the buildings placed into the hands of the government.

Buckingham Palace would still be a huge draw without having to fund the lifestyle and security of the rich family living within. It would still have historic significance.

£100 billion is absolutely not the boost to tourism given by having somebody sitting on the throne.
Nobody suggested the royals on there own bring in all of that and it’s true tourists would still come without the royals, but it was suggested we could just sell these items which is obviously preposterous..

Cash wise, who cares!
Total wealth around twenty billion quid.
The royal art collection alone is conservatively estimated at around ten billion quidsworth.
So your estimate is just a little out.
I would be happy to keep the royal family, and Buck House, but flog off most of the Cornwall and Lancaster estates, all the Crown estate, and all of the crown jewels.
All to the government coffers, to benefit the nation.
That would help to bring a little equality and fairness to our divided isle.
This has to be corrected.

“The Royal Collection is not owned personally by The Queen, but is held in trust by her as Sovereign for her successors and the nation.”

Also the duchies are commercial enterprises set up to support the royal family so they cost us less money.
The Crown estate also goes to the government….. a small part of it is used to fund the sovereign grant to support the monarch.

Last edited:
Nope, fancy words to disguise ownership and legal possession.
Nothing more than dodging inheritance taxes.
The royal art collection is worth ten billion pounds!
The vast majority of it never sees the light of day as far as us commoners are concerned, who benefits?
Get the king to flog it off for the benefit of his successors and the nation, he can keep hold of his Duchy Originals.
The duchies are commercial organisations creaming off the profits from land stolen from the people hundreds of years ago...for the benefit of the already rich monarchy.
The Crown estates are the last shoddy remnants of our feudal past, scrap 'em and come forward a few centuries.
Flog it all off.

Oh dear, reports of people being arrested for voicing republicanism in the street.
Bet Charlie will be cross at the arrests.
Will they actually be charged with anything I wonder.