• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Queen dies, aged 96. The future of the monarchy

When someone asks me for a throughput reading, who would I be not to do one?

But now we’re onto throughput readings of mourners rather than rides… that’s certainly a departure from my normal ride readings! That’s one reading I certainly didn’t expect to be doing any time soon…

On a more serious note, I am surprised that so many people are going to walk around the Queen’s coffin. I get why people want to, but queueing for 12+ hours is very dedicated indeed.

Last edited:
But what would happen if they added in a FastTrack/SpeedyPass queue and also a disabled queue with up to 4 carers per person ?

That would play havoc with the main queue line!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On a serious note, lying in state is very different to what I thought it was… I had pictures in my head of her being in an open casket with people being able to stand and pay their respects for as long as they wanted, take pictures and such.

The reality of it is very different, and a lot less personal than I’d pictured…

It was hard to get an overly accurate reading because:
A) BBC News kept changing the camera angle every few seconds or so, therefore I couldn’t maintain a fixed point for very long.
B) People moving in a free flow fashion are a lot more variable than theme park rides.

But I had a good crack!

I managed 6 readings, and across those 6 readings, the throughput averaged 1,524mph (mourners per hour), or a person roughly every 2.4 seconds on average.

If 20,000 people are in the queue, then the queue will be approximately 787 minutes long, or approximately 13h 7m long.

That is one long queue! They reckon it could hit 30 hours when she’s in London…
This, for me anyway, has to be post of the year so far!

I think it’s good that cameras have been banned to be honest. It’s quite depressing watching a lot of this coverage with the masses looking through their phones. Live in the moment.

The lack of an open casket is simply a British thing, can’t say I’m surprised it’s a closed casket.

I’d love to go to London personally but I don’t fancy a 30 hour queue.

Shame she isn't coming south on the royal train as it would have allowed more people to pay their respects
Pomp and ceremony aside, I think in the days of George VI there was a necessity to do this as TV was relatively scarce. In the days of 24/7 TV coverage and social media though, the benefits of doing it vs the absolute security nightmare it'd cause means travel by air is the far more sensible option.

Shame she isn't coming south on the royal train as it would have allowed more people to pay their respects

I had been thinking this as well that it was a bit of a missed opportunity to allow people in different areas (such as the North East and Yorkshire) to pay their respects. But then I realised that it would have probably been a logistical problem and as mentioned above it would have been very challenging in terms of security. But I think it also highlights how much things have changed since the last time the country dealt with the death of a monarch, 70 years is a very long period of time and of course the arrangements will somewhat reflect the era that we are living in. It just so happens that I’ll be in London on the day of the funeral and I’m wondering if there will be some big screens set up somewhere in a large park for example broadcasting the funeral. Maybe we might even see that around the country with screens being put up in public squares across the nation.

For London these are the viewing areas along the ceremonial route:

087ec8f99298e6c3d8dab17280a4e330.jpg

I was thinking something slightly morbid. Surely the casket (vault) has to be sealed. Not for 2000 years but for the time that she is lying in wait. It is a relatively warm climate and I guess they will want to offset decomposition for as long as possible for obvious reasons. Having a sealed casket where no oxygen can get to the body should help this, alongside stopping any potential unwanted smells.

I'm in Blackpool next week, it'll be interesting to see what is open and not on the Monday.

I gather the illuminations will not be lit that evening. Sounds like the Velvet Coaster will be open so might be a nice evening for a stroll down the beach and a few beverages.

I was thinking something slightly morbid. Surely the casket (vault) has to be sealed. Not for 2000 years but for the time that she is lying in wait. It is a relatively warm climate and I guess they will want to offset decomposition for as long as possible for obvious reasons. Having a sealed casket where no oxygen can get to the body should help this, alongside stopping any potential unwanted smells.
If they had a bit more time to prepare then they could have embalmed her like Vladimir Lenin who is still on display after 98 years. If you're interested in how that would work then have a look (and a laugh) at this:
Horrible Histories, Series 7: 9. Revolting Russian Revolutions: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0954tv5 /
Skip to 17:45
For the sake of a few days it's probably not worth it though (although it would probably help the police and crowd control if the lying in state could last longer).

I'm sure there will have been a partial embalming process.
For bodies that are going to be around for a while, it is a pretty routine process.
Favourite scent often gets chucked around a bit.
The body often gets surrounded by aromatic herbs as well...for the posh funerals.
And I imagine this one will be a bit posh.
Probably.

This is an interesting move from Vue Cinemas, instead of closing on the 19th selected sites are showing the funeral free of charge, with complementary bottled water.