• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I believe the trims are still in place on both air time bits. But they react to the speed of the train, there are some sensors around the track, when the train passes over them, the fins go up, or stay down. On opening day they stayed down for an empty train, a couple lifted up for a half train, and 4 or 5 went up for a full train.

I'm unsure if the dummies were full of water today, but they were yesterday as I saw the staff emptying them all before the ride opened. However they do seem to be only putting 8 dummies in the car, maybe they either need to fill the whole train with dummies or do something more dramatic with the track. Do we know if it is the same train that has stalled before? Yesterday they were running four trains including the new train, but the 5th train was not on the track at all, so maybe that was added last night and that was the one that stalled this morning? If that is the case then it could be an issue with that particular train. As its only a matter of time that the ride will stall with guests on it!

-----------

Stalling aside, I was on park yesterday and the Smiler was running very well. It opened at 10am with four trains, including train number 3 (which was wrapped up earlier in the week), but the 5th train was still off the track and maintenance bay. The trains are also much quieter than a few days ago, and sound pretty much like they did on opening day. Even on four trains the ride was hardly stacking, the staff were very quick at dispatching them. At some points in the day the queue wasn't even in the temp queue line extensions!

There was no smoke inside what so ever, but the strobes did work, from what we heard it seems to be some technical issue (and not that they have ran out of smoke liquid). Two or three of the speakers were still broken/turned off near the queue line building, which makes the audio fairly quiet in that area of the queue line.

Also people say they have been onside with the house lights on, yesterday it seemed very bright in there, but all the light inside comes from the glass floor in the shop (which I find very pointless and the inside section would look so much nicer without it) and not from any house lights.

So overall my views on today are:

Impressed and Disappointed. The ride looks amazing and fits into the area well. Did not expect it to be so big in person! Disappointed that it was broken AGAIN! Looking at it in person, the rear wheels were missing the polyurethane from them which the other wheels had. Possible cause?

At around 4pm the ride ops told us it would be opening briefly. So us and lots of others queued. Then 30 minutes later after testing they told us it WOULD NOT be opening. During testing at around 4:30, the ride barely made it around the track at all, very almost stalling.

Alton Towers are saying on Twitter than it opened between 5pm and 6pm. Park closed at 5pm (Air closed the gates in our faces and we got on Nemesis just before 5pm) Pretty sure they're lying on twitter. Anywhere here's a brief summary of today's Smiler experience!

And a video of the front car being rescued for those that are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iJKhpHF9s#ws

Considering they currently only have 4 trains able to run, and one of those 4 stalled yesterday and has since been removed from the track, I would imagine it was running on 3 today! Much as it was last week for two days after it stalled! :)

Sammy said:
Considering they currently only have 4 trains able to run, and one of those 4 stalled yesterday and has since been removed from the track, I would imagine it was running on 3 today! Much as it was last week for two days after it stalled! :)
And the day before too ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.