• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

GaryH said:
Give me the Rita queue line anyday over The Smiler.

Really?

Horrid cattlepen with absolutely nothing to look at and no shade that barely moves

Compared with Horrid cattlepen under a bloody good coaster, TV screens and no shade (but interesting indoor queue) that does move.

I wont queue in Rita's queue if it reaches the cattlepen bit, its just soul destroying! Smilers queue is not amazing but its got stuff to look at and is no more restrictive than Rita's.

I actually really like The Smiler queue. Because it's made of metal it feels permanent. I like winding under the ride and the claustrophobia feels intentional.

However, on a hot day, it doesn't take a genius to tell you that standing in a pit of concrete surrounded by black metal on all sides is not going to be fun. They need to add coolers.

I agree that the Rita queue is a cattlepen but its not in a pit, it still gets a breeze, it feels more airy as your not caged in, you have Rita to watch hurtling around you and generally speaking you do have an idea of how far you have to go until you get on the ride. Plus, it is easier to exit the queue if you need to.

GaryH said:
generally speaking you do have an idea of how far you have to go until you get on the ride.

What?

The queue always looks small from the outside, then you realise there is a cattlepen fully being used in the middle and it's actually a massive wait!

Jon said:
I actually really like The Smiler queue. Because it's made of metal it feels permanent. I like winding under the ride and the claustrophobia feels intentional.

However, on a hot day, it doesn't take a genius to tell you that standing in a pit of concrete surrounded by black metal on all sides is not going to be fun. They need to add coolers.

You're not the only one! I like The Smiler queue too. A friend actually recently commented that he 'looses me' in that queue because I'm so distracted by the ride that conversation becomes impossible. There's just so much to look at! I agree they should provide water, coolers or shade though. But standing there watching the ride roar around is just amazing for me!

I know I'm in the minority though.

DiogoJ42 said:
I gather they don't even provide water for the staff. They surely won't be giving it to the public.

The staff on the Smiler were certainly given free bottles of water on Tuesday when I got to baggage, as a staff member had a big pack of water and was giving them to each staff member.

But I do think the station and indoor queue is way too hot. It wouldn't cost much to install some air con units, or even the units that can be used as heaters in winter and coolers in summer.

The indoor queue is horrible to be in when it's moderately warm. I hate to think what it's like on days where the temperatures are nearing 30C. There is a complete lack of airflow as well due to the double flaps on all the entrances. They should look at installing some air conditioning units.

:)

Rita's queue is surrounded by 8 foot high pointy wooden spikes, i don;t get how it's any easier to get out of it?

Smiler queue needs some shade points installing but its a much more entertaining queue than PA ones or Rita, if only because of the ride and the TV's. It also generally moves in a segmented way. essentially in a convoluted U. Unlike Th13teen which takes you right up to the station then back away again.

Don't get me wrong as far as queue lines go its pretty poor, but speaking as the geek who wont queue beyond the extension steps for Nemesis and if Air is on any extension i'm a no, i don't actually find it that bad.

Big Thunder Mountain queue is only bad on one side of it, mainly due to being next to the 'window's on the other...

I think in the current climate, any queue is going to be awful... I'd also like to put Samurai or Saw's queues forward as potential worse queues than Smiler...

I was expecting to melt whilst queuing in the projection mapping room yesterday, but that didn't appear to be the case. None of the projectors were overheating thankfully and the dispatch mist was working also. The only flaw I could pick out is the current state of the queue line shop:

598409_10151609161394387_1488857722_n.jpg

** Points at above picture**

For god sake Merlin Studios learn that stickers don't darn last you silly silly people!

Sorry

The quality of some of this 'theming' is very poor and disappointing. You don't expect to see things like that on a brand new ride.

You get what you pay for.

If Merlin want to use cheap materials this is what your result will be.

I can see why they use plastic rather than paint. It keeps its clean, shiney look for longer. That said, stickers peel and you should be coming up with ways to protect it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

djtruefitt said:
DiogoJ42 said:
I gather they don't even provide water for the staff. They surely won't be giving it to the public.

The staff on the Smiler were certainly given free bottles of water on Tuesday when I got to baggage, as a staff member had a big pack of water and was giving them to each staff member.

That's good to hear then (I had heard differently last week). Management have a duty to provide drinking water to staff unable to leave their posts in hot weather, after all.

As for the stickers peeling, what did they expect?

DiogoJ42 said:
djtruefitt said:
DiogoJ42 said:

That's good to hear then (I had heard differently last week). Management have a duty to provide drinking water to staff unable to leave their posts in hot weather, after all.
I think this may be hit and miss. When I took ill, and asked for some water in the baggage hold, I was informed that the staff themselves have to go to the shop to get some rather than being provided it whilst working. Perhaps the weather has changed this, but it doesn't appear to be a permanent thing.

Smiler isn't happy today. Has had full set of loaded trains stuck on the brake run for a very long time now. Queue has been emptied and on ride effects turned off. =\

Novas said:
Smiler isn't happy today. Has had full set of loaded trains stuck on the brake run for a very long time now. Queue has been emptied and on ride effects turned off. =\

That would be my worst nightmare. I found that by the end of the ride the restraints are more painful than Submission. Sitting on the brake run waiting to go into the station on a normal day is not a pleasant experience.