• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

2a5ezygy.jpg

Oh dear

Apparently a bolt pinged off. All I can think is the track must be under an awful lot of stress from all the bashing the track pieces together to make them fit.

jmc said:
Oh dear

Apparently a bolt pinged off. All I can think is the track must be under an awful lot of stress from all the bashing the track pieces together to make them fit.

Just wondering - is this the same section of track which they put in last and really struggled to make fit? :)

In any case, not good news! Probably a few days worth of downtime there :(

jmc said:
2a5ezygy.jpg

Oh dear

Is that definitely the problem? I thought that one join had been left like that because it wouldn't go together, however the two running rails did go together so it didn't make a difference??

^ That is the running rail though.

Looking at various pictures it appears that this has occurred on a join situated on the entry to the first dive loop which I find very strange as this is one of the less stressed areas of the ride. Also even stranger is that this has happened at this point and not at the area of the first inverting drop where all of the troublesome joints are.

There is some suggestion that it shed a bolt, though the Twittersphere isn't always as accurate as you would want.

We will have to wait and see.

JAMMYD778 said:
^ That is the running rail though.

Looking at various pictures it appears that this has occurred on a join situated on the entry to the first dive loop which I find very strange as this is one of the less stressed areas of the ride. Also even stranger is that this has happened at this point and not at the area of the first inverting drop where all of the troublesome joints are.

Yeah, that angle is just poor I think. This one's better:

BPsJCPYCUAAvY7K.jpg:large

Pretty horrific that this occurred whilst the ride was in operation. Gerstlauer are not having a good week that's for sure!

Alton Towers Guide have posted this image showing engineers on the scene:

1003490_594396483924867_1322157114_n.jpg

That may not be the exact section of track that was forced into place but it's not far from it on the layout. Stressing a track section like that will put stress on many of the adjacent sections as well so I wouldn't be surprised if this is related.

Whatever the cause, Alton really didn't need this.

sy4ymyju.jpg

Yeah the smiler doesn't look in good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I hope this is treated seriously and time is taken to ensure the track is 100% sound and ALL connecting pieces are safe. I appreciate bolts work loose, but after less than 2 months of operation and the track is already under coming apart? That's not right, and means there is every chance of other weak points under too much stress on the track.

Tom said:
Predictions for how long before it reopens?
Tomorrow the engineers are all over it, can of WD40 an adjustable spanner job done, in all seriousness how did the smiler ride team know this happened unless the bolt was seen to flirt off or there was a massive noise at the point of track ? :-[ that reminds where is my copy of final destination >:D

Benzin said:
Typical shoddy Gerst work, who ever heard of a bolt shearing off a B&M eh?

Me

Nemesis also constantly needs its footers re-enforcing. Probably best not to jump to conclusions at the moment

DiogoJ42 said:
You have to laugh, eh? :p

The irony is there are gaps like that all over Saw, I get the feeling it's the falling bolt that's the bigger concern if reports are true.

Dave said:
DiogoJ42 said:
You have to laugh, eh? :p

The irony is there are gaps like that all over Saw, I get the feeling it's the falling bolt that's the bigger concern if reports are true.

Never seen anything like that on Saw... Where are these gaps I'm quite intreaugued!