• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Was in the station today and observed the smiler dispatching its 500,000th train! Sadly was on the next train but was brilliant to see it. The operator made a great announcement prior, then a big cheer on dispatch.

Was in the station today and observed the smiler dispatching its 500,000th train! Sadly was on the next train but was brilliant to see it. The operator made a great announcement prior, then a big cheer on dispatch.
I was in the queue too and managed to record the announcement. In my tweet I said it was the 1,000,000th as I misheard it. Lots of cheering and clapping from the queue though

Any number greater than zero is a problem.
Well yes but we are talking about a ride that was less reliable than my cat using a litter tray in its first few years. It's got much better since though (the ride reliability and my cat!)

It does seem to be up there as one of the most reliable coasters on the park lately,

I didn’t visit on Smilers opening year but it can’t be as bad as Air in 2002 surely? That was painful.

It broke down an awful lot from day two then!
Lots and lots of early down time...I have a "million apologies" laminate from my second (or third?) attempt at riding, pride of place in my outside bog...allowed to take it at the end of the day by the gate staff to make up for the continuing disappointment.
Lots of sensor issues due to the train running too fast into the second lift hill if I recall correctly.

It broke down an awful lot from day two then!
Lots and lots of early down time...I have a "million apologies" laminate from my second (or third?) attempt at riding, pride of place in my outside bog...allowed to take it at the end of the day by the gate staff to make up for the continuing disappointment.
Lots of sensor issues due to the train running too fast into the second lift hill if I recall correctly.
Yes, that’s right; the train was over speeding into the second lift hill, which is what caused the trim brakes to be fitted onto the first drop. This did cause a lot of issues in the ride’s initial months. Incidentally, this is also the cause of the ride being unable to hold more than about 30-40% of its usual capacity at present.

In terms of the throughput; Thirteen was apparently designed to attain 1,100 riders per hour (both Intamin and RCDB cite this number), but according to John Wardley’s autobiography, the ride attained 1,260 riders per hour in its first hour of operation, and I’ve heard from other sources that it got as high as 1,400 riders per hour at points in 2010 (is this true, for anyone who remembers 2010?)!

In terms of the comment on The Smiler's reliability, it does actually seem to be the most reliable at the minute! It only ever seems to be closed due to capacity, from what I observed during opening week it was the only coaster not to go down!