• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

TheMan said:
Look at how Oblivion was designed, you can stand right by the drop and get that gust of breeze and mist as the ride rollocks past you! There is nothing for people who don't want to ride to do like Nemesis, Oblivion, Air to a lesser degree and even Rita!

Really? You've stood by The Smiler with me, and had to literally drag me away because I was completely absorbed with watching everything about the ride, from outside of the queue line area! It's incredible to watch!

Amy said:
TheMan said:
Look at how Oblivion was designed, you can stand right by the drop and get that gust of breeze and mist as the ride rollocks past you! There is nothing for people who don't want to ride to do like Nemesis, Oblivion, Air to a lesser degree and even Rita!

Really? You've stood by The Smiler with me, and had to literally drag me away because I was completely absorbed with watching everything about the ride, from outside of the queue line area! It's incredible to watch!

Doesn't mean the overall design isn't abhorrent.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Amy said:
TheMan said:

Doesn't mean the overall design isn't abhorrent.

You don't count Amy hahahaha!! You wouldn't give what I would call, an objective opinion ;D ;D ;D

What I mean though being serious, is the ride doesn't interact with people outside of it like you do with air, Oblivion and Nemesis, all of which you can get very close and personal with the riders and track.

It's a step up from Th13teen for off-ride interaction (ignoring those in the queue), that's for sure, but it's still a far cry from what is offered by the three B&M coasters.

The shop is the only place you can get close to the ride, while the other three are designed to work with their surroundings, not fence people off from them.

A plaza could and should have been incorporated, but little thought was put into the queue. You can tell that those behind it's design only see queues as funcional. Stuffing it wherever they can is not a clever idea, regardless of the fact that it is under the ride.

It's one criticism I have with Blue Fire - it's not very accommodating with those off-ride, regardless of how it looks by the side of it, and the ride experience itself.

The Smiler just about gets away with it due to the hill providing some good views of the ride and most of the track being open out.

I agree that its a lazy design though. Nemesis was probably just as complex (if not more) as The Smiler, and that has open areas in all sorts of places for non-riders, the ride itself becomes an experience for the non-rider. I think that's just as important as providing something for the rider!

Th Smiler was the golden opportunity to bring that element back. Sure coming out the shop and looking down at the tangle of track is amazing - and you're underneath the track in the queueline, but the design of said queue is diabolical and the lack of areas for a main rider to get underneath the ride in the middle of the action is a big missed opportunity.

Easiest way to improve it is when the popularity fades a bit, the external queue can be removed and re-routed and a plaza made for guests and the concrete can be dug up and drainage installed :)

The theming and the ergonomics of The Smiler are definitely what holds it back from being a great SW. The ride is really good (MH poll 2nd best in the UK) and if they control the roughness that seems to be creeping in then there is no reason to think it wont keep entertaining guests. But my god they got the theme (the idea is great but just executed poorly) and queue wrong.

Poison Tom 96 said:
Easiest way to improve it is when the popularity fades a bit, the external queue can be removed and re-routed and a plaza made for guests and the concrete can be dug up and drainage installed :)

Don't think that would ever really be possible. The concrete it not only for the queue, it forms the rides foundations. Parts of it could possibly be dug up for improved drainage but I'd imagine they'd have to be quite careful considering the ride isn't exactly the most strucually sound coaster in the world as it is. The plaza will never happen now, it's pretty much impossible.

In terms of viewing The Smiler when you're not riding, of course you can see it and it is good to watch but it isn't to the same extent as other coasters in the park. You have to watch from behind a fence which immediately puts a barrier between the guest and the ride. With the likes of Nemesis, Air and even Rita everything is much more open and you can stand right underneath the ride as if you are in the ride area. The Smiler is obviously great at this when you are in the queue but those that cannot or choose not to ride do not get to experience this.

:)

To those talking about non-rider interaction, I agree totally with the sentiment but I think it is executed brilliantly in The Smiler!? You queue underneath the great mass of track, watching it whizz around from above. You stand and watch the huge contraption from the toilet block exit. You crane your neck up outside the shop and see huge steel structures with whizzing trains roaring by. Nobody can dispute that when walking into X Sector, The Marmaliser is so pleasing to the eye with its huge smoking legs and flashing screens that you could watch it for an hour.

Harvey. said:
To those talking about non-rider interaction, I agree totally with the sentiment but I think it is executed brilliantly in The Smiler!? You queue underneath the great mass of track, watching it whizz around from above. You stand and watch the huge contraption from the toilet block exit. You crane your neck up outside the shop and see huge steel structures with whizzing trains roaring by. Nobody can dispute that when walking into X Sector, The Marmaliser is so pleasing to the eye with its huge smoking legs and flashing screens that you could watch it for an hour.

Or 3 hours, on an on-peak day. ;)

Harvey. said:
To those talking about non-rider interaction, I agree totally with the sentiment but I think it is executed brilliantly in The Smiler!?

I do see your point in some regards Harvey to be fair, but think about Nemesis and Oblivion, and even air and Rita. All these rides allow people who want to watch the opportunity to experience the ride as you do queuing for The Smiler.

I mean on oblivion you almost feel like you can touch the riders and you get the blast of air and mist (when on!). Basically they have areas, the ride has a big area mass that provides the viewing and interaction spots for the public. The Smiler could have really benefited from this and now the way it's fenced off makes it worse. Just lacks the creativity and imagination of the others, and it's a real shame.

@TheMan

No, I would agree that Nemesis and Oblivion pull it off better, but I don't think Air (even despite the queue and plaza) or Rita (unless you're in the Th13teen queue, in which case it feels miles above) does it quite as well. But yes, the fencing maybe does ruin it a little but unlike Oblivion, which essentially has only two parts to fence around, The Smiler is just so big I don't see any other logical way to fence it than right around the perimeter.

Rode it yesterday for the first time since Fireworks - forgot what a beast of a ride it is. Definitely cemented itself behind Nemesis in my favourites at Towers, but just can't claim that top spot because of how damn uncomfortable it is.

It's relentless and fun but my god did my shoulders and crotch ache by the end - think we had the rattly train though.

It appears that they have either fixed or taken off the train that was making the very unusal rattling sounds as it went around the track.

Anyway, I had some more thoughts on The Smiler on Saturday. When riding a coaster I like to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. You can do this on most coasters whether it be Blue Fire, Nemesis, El Toro and so on. I do not like having to hold onto the restraints when riding coasters, I prefer either arms up or just sitting with my arms in a relaxed position. However on The Smiler I always have to hold on to the restraints. I'm constantly bracing and therefore tensing my body. This isn't at all relaxing and not overly enjoyable. I have to do it though as the ride throws me around so much; this is partly due to the rattly, jolty nature of the ride and partly down to Gerstlauer's over the shoulder restraints which I have never liked. My shoulders always know when I have ridden The Smiler.

I really do think that lap bars would make it better. Ok your body may get thrown around a bit but my body and shoulders wouldn't be bashing into the restraints. I'd be able to relax a lot more on it and just enjoy what is a good thrilling layout.

It is just a shame for me that the poor build quality and poor restraints ruin what could have been a brilliant ride.

I have to disagree, I've never had to hold on the restraints on any of my near 30 rides and have never been left battered by The Smiler.

I'm sure that I've ridden each of the different trains many times; so I'm either:
1 - Oblivious to pain;
2 - Have got temporary amnesia from multiple rides;
3 - Just got very lucky!

Either way, I enjoy riding The Smiler, and look forward to being reacquainted again in August!

p.s. I would love to try it with lap bars! :)

I don't bother holding onto the restrains either. I do agree with Rob can't just lean back into the seat and relax like you can on the B&Ms (You have to try and stay leaning forward to keep your head clear, and tense yourself for some of the bigger jolts). Personally though I find Gerst's OTSRs very comfortable. The only change I would perhaps make are the thigh braces on the bottom, and maybe a little spongey padding on the tops of the shoulders, but all in all I'd say they're pretty comfy for my build. I'd probably say that they're my second favorite OTSRs after B&M's :)

Rob said:
It appears that they have either fixed or taken off the train that was making the very unusal rattling sounds as it went around the track.

Anyway, I had some more thoughts on The Smiler on Saturday. When riding a coaster I like to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. You can do this on most coasters whether it be Blue Fire, Nemesis, El Toro and so on. I do not like having to hold onto the restraints when riding coasters, I prefer either arms up or just sitting with my arms in a relaxed position. However on The Smiler I always have to hold on to the restraints. I'm constantly bracing and therefore tensing my body. This isn't at all relaxing and not overly enjoyable. I have to do it though as the ride throws me around so much; this is partly due to the rattly, jolty nature of the ride and partly down to Gerstlauer's over the shoulder restraints which I have never liked. My shoulders always know when I have ridden The Smiler.

I really do think that lap bars would make it better. Ok your body may get thrown around a bit but my body and shoulders wouldn't be bashing into the restraints. I'd be able to relax a lot more on it and just enjoy what is a good thrilling layout.

It is just a shame for me that the poor build quality and poor restraints ruin what could have been a brilliant ride.

See I don't find I really have to brace for much of the ride, it's intense and relentless so it's not a relaxing ride but generally that's the sort of coaster I enjoy. I can name a few B&M's I find more uncomfortable to ride.

Another train seems to gave had some work done to it this week as they where again running one train constantly with dummies... It's curious the ride hadn't run with all five trains for a few months, hopefully it has been to address the roughness issue that has plagued the ride this season.

Certainly on my last visit the ride we got was perfectly fine.

Slightly off topic here, but I've been watching 'The Dare Devil' in the mornings on CBBC, and one of the dares today was to ride the smiler, and put on makeup so you looked like a clown. They failed the dare btw. So did any of you see it?

The prize if they win the show is that they get to go to "one of the UK's LARGEST THEME PARKS!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!@±!!!!!!", which is clearly AT as they show you a 1 second clip of Rita, Air and Nemesis each. My point being that they have to go on The Smiler as a dare, but their prize is a day out at AT... I don't see the logic.

[/offtopic]