• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

To be honest, I'm glad the theme was altered from these concepts. Even though The Smiler's actual theming leaves much to be desired, I was glad to see Merlin do something different to their go to dilapidated and broken theme. The Marmaliser legs look far better in these concepts though.

I like the current theme but this original one does seem of a higher quality (I know it's only concepts). The Marmaliser legs in these concepts looks far better and more intimidating, shame they never materialised in that manner.

:)

Its kinda funny. Thats exactly how I'd envisaged the ride looking before any of the real marketing began. To be honest, I'm glad it didn't turn out like the concepts, it just looks too Merlin. A ride that relies on a dark theme that won't require much maintenance. The whole thing looks like something Thorpe would go for.

Only thing I prefer about those concepts, it that they would've suited the area more. They look like they belong in Area 51, whereas The Smiler and the Ministry of Joy doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm. It's a tricky one.

Those concepts really do look incredible. There's such a high amount of detail in them, which would really have conveyed a story and created an atmosphere. It all looks very Bioshock-esque, particularly the pipes and syringes on the Marmaliser with it's glowing green and purple colours.

However, I'm not sure this is the sort of ride I'd like to see at Towers. Don't get me wrong, I love the concepts, but I'm looking at those images and I'm not seeing an Alton Towers ride. I'm seeing something for a Thorpe Park style attraction.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Alton's rides have always had that rather camp, over-the-top nature about them. It's what makes their rides and attractions so unique. For me, The Smiler in the form we have achieves that a lot better than the vibe I'm getting from those concepts.

I'm not saying the The Smiler we have is perfect. No, there is a lot of work and changes which could be made, and it could have been far better than it is. However, I wouldn't really change the direction and basis of the theme which already exists. Not for the above anyway.

That would've been SO much better! The current theme looks far too modern, clean and not run down.

That would've been SO much better! The current theme looks far too modern, clean and not run down.
But in terms of The Smiler's narrative (Well, what narrative there actually is) The Smiler IS modern, it's meant to be a new facility, if The Smiler's theming looked like this, the already flimsy story line would make no sense at all.

Indeed, the story would have changed along with the theme. It would no donut have been similar but slightly more evil sinister than crazy and slightly humorous sinister.

:)

Although that concept art is great, its not all that MOJ that the maze originally portrayed. Its like we have got a mixture of both,

I love some of the buildings, almost Saw style in their apperance

For the first time ever I think I've seen concept art and thought "thank god that's not what we ended up with!"

When we first saw the building plans this was exactly what I feared, another run down abandoned Merlin theme trying to be dark and gritty just because it's less expensive to maintain. What we got is far closer to the slick character driven feel of the original Oblivion. The only part of those plans I prefer is the solid legs on the Marmaliser.

Of course those who have talked to me recently about the Smiler will know I have a love hate relationship with what we ended up with. Love the ride but it's so poorly botched together I can't really enjoy it. Love the theme but it's terribly executed. Had the whole thing matched the slick style they eventually went with and we hadn't ended up with concrete everywhere (which probably would have matched the old design, not that it makes it any more excusable) I would be far happier with the finished concept.

I'll echo what I've always said, they should have waited until 2014 to give this project the planning and construction time it deserved.

If that theme actually happened, the truth is that all we would have ended up with is the Marmaliser and half of that concept inside the building. The whole ground issues would have brought those concepts down to nothing. I bet the concepts for The Smiler as it is now look far better than the real thing.

Nonetheless, I think that concept would have been suited more for a brand new area, like something on the Air car park. In X-Sector it would have been a big job to have that in an area that is meant to be 'modern'. They did well at keeping The Smiler going down that route while also introducing a new kind of them that doesn't totally ruin the area. If this theme happened it would have ruined X-Sector.

Nice to see these concepts surface though. Thanks to Rob and BigAl for posting them here!

First thing I thought of when I saw the first few pictures?........ Thorpe Park. In particular, Saw.

Second thing I thought when I saw them, in particular with all the bits sticking out on the elements, queue line pieces etc..... they wouldnt last two minutes due to vandalism.

I'm actually glad the concept was changed from the pictures. These pictures paint a sinister, dark, scary kinda ride, the current concept now gives a fun, mesmerising, happy kinda ride, one which will make you "Smile. In addition, I dont see how that dark, scary theme would have fitted in with the current bright yellow ride cars and marmiliser elements.

This idea would have been best suited if the ride was built in forbidden Valley. Since it wasn't I think they did the right thing. Although the station itself could have been less basic and more like the concepts.

Fourth picture from the bottom shows a front row queue! Now THAT would have been an improvement!

Does anyone know the name of the company that did the final concept art for The Smiler? And slightly off topic, does anyone know any companies Merlin have used for concept art before?