• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Yes I spotted that particular oversight yesterday - people who are guaranteed to be sat on the left of the train have to cross all the way to the far side and back again to drop off bags. They need to reinstate the original SRQ entrance

Yes I spotted that particular oversight yesterday - people who are guaranteed to be sat on the left of the train have to cross all the way to the far side and back again to drop off bags. They need to reinstate the original SRQ entrance
Where was the original SRQ entrance?

Yeah I remember going down a different SRQ in the early days of The Smiler - you'd assume the staff would grab your bag for you so you didn't have to walk over the train past the other people.

Didn’t they formerly merge single riders in with the regular queue at the baggage hold and then split them off again to go up the stairs into the station, with one side being marked “Single Riders” and another side being marked “All Other Riders”?

It certainly seems like a flaw that the people who will get sat furthest away from the baggage cages are now the only ones who need to use them.

I hope they don’t use this as an excuse to close SRQ, as technically if they are having to cross the train and come back again they will likely be slowing down the dispatch of trains and having a negative impact on throughputs instead of a positive one.

This might be me thinking overly simplistically here, but; couldn’t they just return to the former SRQ system from when the ride first opened, and remove the fence splitting it off from the regular queue at the baggage hold area?

All they need is to remove 1 piece of fence and put a chain across before it goes upstairs. If they're bothered they will do it.

Naughty single riders often used to use the single rider queue, drop their bags, then join the speedier main queue up the stairs instead of rejoining the single rider queue up the stairs.
Then they put "matron" on duty between chain, bagdrop and stairs...she was very good indeed at stopping the naughty people.
Speaking as an innocent observer of course.

Yes, used to get clever naughty groups of people that would queue up using the single rider queue and then drop bags and go to the main queue.

The smiler probably gave me my best "on the day" first ride experience.
First two attempts we got spited, then we turned up within a few weeks of actual opening on a forecast wet weekday in termtime.
Two early walk on rides from the single rider queue in about twenty minutes, and after mentioning the two failed previous visits, I was held back a car so I could get a front seat ride.
I managed to get two rides in before my good lady made it round the gift shop.