• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Pretty sure they are old laurel that was repruned hard for the smiler opening.
Don't think any of it is new, and all the surrounding green is why the pit looks so grotty.

All they need is to remove 1 piece of fence and put a chain across before it goes upstairs. If they're bothered they will do it.
They also boarded up the single rider door up in to the indoor queue section when they removed it. So that would need removing as well as the fence inside. I do think the current queue works better, as at times you would be stuck downstairs for ages and they would often forget about the single rider queue, and you’ll then end up going straight upstairs and straight on the ride. only issue now is baggage.

Where you come in now would be fine with a fence piece removed as it would then act like the other one did.

If you removed the fence then, most people would just go in single rider queue and then go straight up the stairs, especially if the host is not paying attention. Again you could go drop your bag off and then just merge with the main queue.

Had a terrifying experience on the smiler. Was on the back row and when the ride finished I was seeing loads of stars/flashes. I panicked for a second but they went pretty much straight away. Does anyone know what causes this. I've ridden every other row today and only experienced that the once on the back

The actual medical term for seeing stars is Photopsia. I don’t know what causes it per say or if this is even what you’ve experienced. But the forces of riding a coaster can definitely change vision temporarily. Loads of people report experiencing black/grey outs, so I wouldn’t be worried in the slightest.

You can get vision changes due to a drop in blood pressure in your head caused by high g-force.

If it passes quickly then probably all is well, if you get prolonged flashing or floaters in your vision see an optician or doctor urgently
It's alright I'm fine now. Thanks for the advice though

I did touch on it in the general discussion but I had 10 amazing rides on the smiler on Tuesday and 2 great rides on Monday, I am biased because 9 of those were on the front row and the other 3 were on the second row and every ride was on a inner seat.

But I had been put off after having an awful ride on it last year which resulted in me having battered and bruised shoulders but honestly after all my rides this week I can comfortably put it as my number 1 above Nemesis.

There are 2-3 jolts on the ride that I can feel in the same spots most of the time however they don't hurt or take away from the ride if I have a comfortable posture and loose restraints the rest of the ride I'd say feels pretty smooth especially for a gerstlauer.

On my last ride of the day I actually had my arms up for the entirety for the second half of the ride which I've never done before but I honestly think we are very lucky to have this ride in the UK definitely the one that gets a lot of talk overseas.

Also those 2 air time hills are really awesome usually I overlook them but I guess because the staff were being really careful with my restraints and taking their time because I put in a word and it wasn't busy it made a big difference with me not being wedged into my seat.

I've never done too many airtime crazy coasters but definitely feels like the smiler has the best airtime moments in the park by far, which makes me rate the ride even more highly now.

In my opinion the first half is really smooth and enjoyable and the second half it really picks up some speed and gets quite intense but I definitely came off with a big smile everytime, the smiler has definitely got me hooked again, can't wait to be back.