• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Current state of the Smiler station. Brought to you by the UK’s most visited theme park, owned and operated by the world’s second largest visitor attraction business.

From: https://twitter.com/eyecoaster/status/1643971657168719873?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

I'm a Merlin fanboy and not even I can justify that, a bit of bleach and some scrubbing is all that takes to fix, Black mould especially for people working indoors by it is not good for the health and can be fatal for people with autoimmune issues, not really acceptable that.

Oh dear! What happened there, if you don't mind me asking?
I was queuing to get my bag back from the hold and the door swung open violently and hit me right in the spine. Thankfully it hit me rather than a child in the head who was close as it’s got a door handle that’s metal that sticks out a fair way. No idea why it opens outwards. But I didn’t even realise it was a door.

In the parka defence, maybe they plan on a full refurb imminently, so why bother patching things up?
When though? 2024 and 2025 will be two years of back to back large scale projects, that leaves 2026 at the earliest for an X Sector refurb. Judging by the standards of the last low budget area refurb at the park, would this be enough?

Let’s say a refurb is taking place in 2026, that means there’s still three whole seasons of an area that’s brand damagingly poor in its current state. And even then would a low budget light touch refurb be enough to save it?

It’s really such a shame, X-Sector could be a fantastic area, both Smiler and Oblivion could be great themed experiences.

Refurbishment and up keep aren’t the same though. A bit of elbow grease wouldn’t hurt here and there. Sadly I imagine those on the ground are stretched as it is.
This is the same park that don’t even bother to regular jet wash coaster track anymore. Could any other major park in Europe get away with this lack of care?

Last edited:
This is the same park that don’t even bother to jet wash ride track anymore. Could any other major park in Europe get away with this lack of care?

You know when you get a new pair of trainers and do your best to keep them looking fresh, then someone stands on your foot, and you get some more scuffs, eventually they aren’t as precious. You can’t afford brand new ones so you live with your tired looking shoes continuously wearing them before eventually getting a brand new pair. Tossing your old ones to the back of the cupboard under the stairs. Used now for dog walks and painting your hallway.

That’s how it feels with Merlin investments.

Last edited:
You know when you get a new pair of trainers and do your best to keep them looking fresh, then someone stands on your foot, and you get some more scuffs, eventually they aren’t as precious. You can’t afford brand new ones so you live with your tired looking shoes continuously wearing them before eventually getting a brand new pair. Tossing your old ones to the back of the cupboard under the stairs. Used now for dog walks and painting your hallway.

That’s how it feels with Merlin investments.
I do wonder if the park being under some sort of mid length leasehold influences how much they really put into the park. Because it really feels like it's being run as a rental with minimum investment. I don't really know the ins and outs how how it works mind.

I do wonder if the park being under some sort of mid length leasehold influences how much they really put into the park. Because it really feels like it's being run as a rental with minimum investment. I don't really know the ins and outs how how it works mind.
The park just hasn't been the same since the Tussaud days. I first visited in 2003, and the place really buzzed with magic. Merlin just don't care enough to be able to replicate that.
That being said, the Nemesis refurb contradicts my previous statement. Maybe this is sign of things to come 🤞

The difference between Tussauds and Merlin is that, even in Tussauds worst days in the 2000s, they still cared and did their best in the parks in every aspect passionately, and you could tell. Sure, their attractions weren't the best during that era in terms of Thrills, but they damm sure did their best to try and retain the parks magic and charm.

Merlin on the other hand as we currently know it don't have that passionate will. Its either 'Look at our shiny new ride guys!' While also letting the rest of the park rot until they can replace that rotten attraction for another 'shiny new ride'. Not even Disney treat their parks like this, and that's saying something, even their worst and oldest attractions are always maintained in tip top condition in terms of upkeep. Merlin are just way too corporate to run the parks properly.

If I were in their situation, I'd give each park a proper HQ base, with independently ran projects, this can be through TLC groups, Creative teams that can be permanently set there. Money is still the main priority, but also is giving guests the best experience, to bring that magical feel back to them as long as they're profitable or brings in more positive reviews.

We should not be going to their parks having our fingers crossed every time we visit wishing that a specific ride is open or in tip top shape, either through Effects, or ascetic wise.

All in all, Merlin... give the parks more freedom and a little extra budget. That's all... don't focus on only attractions you want to, focus on the ones you NEED to, or let the parks management and staff do so, either through refurbishments, or TLC projects. you'll still gain a great amount of money, but you'll also get better reviews, which is always a good thing, especially for a business. Most businesses want a to leave a good and positive impression on its cleints or guests to make sure they'll come back.

Last edited:
It is an odd one, the Wickerman, Curse of Alton Manor, Gangsta Granny and - no doubt - the Nemesis rebuild show what Merlin can do. It just seems that money is tight, so it only really goes on new stuff. Or is only allocated to certain projects, so the other ones have to keep going until it's their turn.

Also has anyone else ever exited smiler out of the single rider queue when you head to it first thing in the morning on a very quiet day.

Only mentioning it now but happened to me once last season, I usually don't start in x sector but I realized it was very quiet (1% according to crowd calendar) so I went straight for smiler for a couple laps.

Apparently the shop wasn't ready and the ride was ready to go so went for a ride and they just guided us to the single rider queue to exit and then batched the train when it was clear.

Just asking out of curiosity in case I experienced a one off kinda thing.

anyone else noticed the second dive loop laughing effect not being on this season? has it been turned back on yet or do you reckon it's a broken speaker sort of deal??! i remember the corkscrew? (loop before the vertical lift) laughing effect being off at the start of another recent season but was eventually turned on