• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler vs Saw The Ride; which Merlin Gerstlauer do you prefer?

The Smiler or Saw The Ride; which Merlin Gerstlauer do you prefer?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Merlin Entertainments currently operates two Gerstlauer thrill coasters across its portfolio of theme parks; The Smiler at Alton Towers and Saw The Ride at Thorpe Park. These are two very different coasters; The Smiler is an Infinity Coaster with a record-breaking 14 inversions as its key hook, while Saw The Ride is a Euro-Fighter that hones in on its 101 degree drop and Saw theme. But I'd be keen to know; which Merlin Gerstlauer do you prefer?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either, but I'd perhaps controversially give Saw The Ride the edge. For me, it's been no rougher than Smiler as of late, and I much prefer the layout; I love Saw's pops of ejector airtime and great speed in places, while I find Smiler's repeated inversions a bit nauseating for my personal liking. I'll admit the first drop and the ending are pretty brutal even on a good run, but I'd argue that Smiler's ending is no better... I've had some pretty terrible Saw rides in the past, but all my recent rides haven't been as rough on the grand scheme of Saw rides, so as I'd probably say that Saw and Smiler are about equal roughness wise (from my recent experiences, anyway), and I prefer Saw's layout, I'd currently give Saw the slight edge. One thing I'll say about Saw is that its airtime is surprisingly phenomenal; it's probably one of the stronger UK coasters for airtime, in my view!

But which ride do you prefer?

Not even close for me, The Smiler hands down. It is my favourite ride in the country though, so you could pretty much put any other ride in Saw’s place and it would lose for me. Saw is too rough for me, and that’s just not something I get on The Smiler. I know people are saying it’s rough and uncomfortable, but it is hard to comprehend when it doesn’t ride even slightly rough for me. I’m really not sure why, as I can get a smooth ride on all 4 rows. Having been on 5 times last Friday, there’s a decent chance I’d have been on all 3 trains that were running. Like I say, I’m really not sure why I never get a rough ride, so it’s 100% the more preferable ride for me

Saw for me. Has more of a diverse layout, and a much better indoor section too. Might be a bit jolty In sections but nothing major in me eyes. I’d say it’s aged much better than The Smiler despite being a few years older too.

Are some people on the wind up in this thread? The Smiler wins this all day long.

Granted I haven't ridden Saw the Ride for a good few years but last time I did it was ruddy awful. The Smiler on the other hand always delivers for me except that great big jolt near the end.

I think I’d pick Saw. The indoor section is fantastic and it’s not a bad coaster. There’s too many things that are annoying or unpleasant about the Smiler and the whole experience from entering to queue all the way through to riding and exiting. And on the occasions the Smiler is running rough it’s absolutely horrible to endure. At least with Saw you know what are going to get.

Saw has much better theming and its actually quite frightening in the entire indoor experience Including the queue, station, and all the way up to the ore lift hill section.

Gotta love that water effect that shoots out of the bloody figure on the floor XD.

Both are rough, but I prefer Saws indoor section over the entire of the smiler after my latest rides on it back on May...

Saw is just a better executed ride as a whole really.

I’m not a huge fan of either, and I don’t deny that Saw is still a bit rough for me, but on my recent rides, it’s been no rougher than Smiler, and I personally prefer the layout to Smiler’s.

I won’t deny that I’ve had some far worse ones on Saw in the past, but I’d agree with what @Rick said; my rides as of late (which is what I’m basing this on) haven’t been as bad, so at the minute, it just edges over Smiler, for me.

Smiler the winner for me, I've ridden lots of Coasters and it's one of my favourites. It does what it says on the tin, i come off it grinning like a loon! And i don't find it especially rough.

I like Saw as well, but it's really just a Eurofighter with great theming. The Smiler is totally unique really.

Interesting that the saw riders are more vocal but the smiler has more votes! I vote saw. It's older but the theme and presentation is far superior. The smiler just looks cheap. Although saw is yet another run down theme it's done well. It does not turn into a lake and it's features tend to work alot more than the smiler. I hate dead screen pixels and broken screens. And that soundtrack on the smiler is both loud and annoying. The indoor section is also far superior. Both are rough but then again I think colossus is better for it's age.

You should be fine, it’s my favourite ride in the country. Then again, lots of people think it’s garbage so who knows. Hopefully you’re one of the people that doesn’t find it rough!

I think the best way of putting it is hopefully you’ll get a good ride on it rather than a rough one.

There’s a bit of luck as to what you’ll get, which could well be down to what particular car and seat you get and conditions on the day.