• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler: What does the future hold?

Personally I don't want a re-theme & more importantly I don't think a re-theme/re-brand/watering down is necessary.

Like many on here have already said... Regardless of what it's called, it will forever be know as 'The Smiler/That ride that crashed & people lost their legs'.
Taglines are a hit & miss. Yes some people will think they're inappropriate, others will complain & the media will have a field day but most people just won't care. Plus in my opinion if they do lower the volume of the music & remove some taglines then the ride would lose most, if not all of it's charisma.
Enthusiasts & the GP don't go on it to read the signs & listen to the music, they go on it because the whole atmosphere & character of the ride is sinister & thrilling, which entices them in. Yes it's loud & in your face which does lead to it being intimidating (I've seen & heard grown men come up with every excuse not to go on it) but isn't that why it's one of the best coasters in the park?
Not forgetting to add that the ride dominates that area, if not all of the park & the queue line times proved that.

Wasn't the paint on the track making it more prone to stalling though? I'm sure I read that somewhere. So if that is true (not saying it is) wouldn't a fresh coat of paint bring back the stalling? Which would then have the media all over it again.

I have never seen anything about the paint used making it prone to stalling before so I do not think that is true at all. It is prone to stalling because of some poor profiling around the batwing. I remember watching the ride test the morning that it officially opened, it was creeping through!

I can't see The Smiler getting a sponsor. Even if Towers wanted to go down that route they'd struggled to find a company willing to sponsor such a ride. Heck some companies probably don't even want to be associated with Alton Towers following the incident.

:)

I visited a few days ago and it wasnt just the sign that was removed but signage on the marmaliser, in the queue from the top of the rehydrator bar and parts of the effects on the ride itself had been removed

I went yesterday and they have also put a board up where the had taken down the signage (ride name) covering all the little holes! Whether this was to cover up the nasty tape that they put up?

Anyone recently took pictures of the area without the signs etc

I took a photo yesterday but don't think you can see anything.

047cc8d1ec49cf4955d331edf6caa5e8.jpg

Also GOOGLE say the smiler is permentaly shut but it is closed till further notice they will be in trouble if they dont change it