• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Space Topic

< Seemingly this is fake >

Incredible !

That video is definitely a fake, I think you been had there. Check it out against these genuine pics

Anh4V6U.jpg

ERRpTd0.jpg

On Thursday, SpaceX managed to blow up one of their rockets on the launch pad, destroying a $200 million satellite in the process. The video is pretty spectacular (skip to 1:10):

Disappointing to see this happen just 8 months after returning to flight after their last accident, and when their first stage landings have been going so well.

Its amazing how far SpaceX have come since this. It may look fake, but this video below is very real. Its the landings of the two booster rockets at the same time that is really impressive which is about seven minutes in to the mission. 151 successful booster landings now.

Space X have made rocket launches a routine business, with them being so often these days, it does not feel like a special event it used to, but seeing the boosters landing is still really cool, and the Dragon Capsule is making getting astronauts to and from the IIS a lot cheaper.

Earlier this morning, the new Nasa Artemis program launched its new SLS rocket, to get the new Orion (Which the ESA designed and developed the Service Module for, think of it like the train engine) spacecraft in to orbit, and on its way to the moon. This is the first test flight, and is unmanned, but so far everything looks like it is going to plan. Artemis II is the first manned launch, with the Astronauts orbiting the moon, with Artemis III being the mission that will see humans return to the moon, hopefully by 2025.

Below is a video of the launch from 60 second countdown.

Nasa News Article: Link
ESA news Article: Link

Is anyone else watching the Starship launch today?

Starship Launch

Should be really interesting to see what happens, it is a test flight so things could go wrong, but hopefully it all goes to plan, and they gather as much information as possible, as this could be the ship that takes humans to Mars one day.

Is anyone else watching the Starship launch today?

Starship Launch

Should be really interesting to see what happens, it is a test flight so things could go wrong, but hopefully it all goes to plan, and they gather as much information as possible, as this could be the ship that takes humans to Mars one day.
It's been cancelled due to a frozen valve.

A bit gutted since it's my last day off work today, so was hoping to avoid waking up from nightshift to watch it later in the week 😂.

Insane to think of the size of this thing. Seeing Saturn 5 at Kennedy is a hell of a sight, and this thing is 8 metres longer. Roll on hopefully Wednesday or Thursday where we'll hopefully see either a spectacular explosion or a successful flight!

Two hour notice for next attempt to launch Starship

Still feels weird how often the Falcon 9 Launches are(there was a successful one yesterday), they are so common now, they do not feel special. I think manned launches, and missions to the Moon and further I will continue to watch live.

It’s almost like international travel would have been in its early years. Seemed like a far off possibility and people were in awe. But years later it’s a normal part of life! I feel space travel will go the same way in time.

I was taught in science at school that we will all be taking holidays on the moon by the year 2000.
Pan Am started sending reservation cards out in 1968.
Space travel is still a million miles away for the common man.
It is just a massive ego trip for billionaires.
The cost of building, then fuelling, space rockets, with a very limited payload, means easy public flights to the moon will simply never happen, unless you are very, very rich.
Rockets are for launching satellites, and, sadly, bombs...not humans.
Limited precious natural resources, all those carbon miles, for no real material benefit...those numbers will never change.

Space exploration has benefited human kind, it has brought about collaboration which would never of been possible.

infographicsuploadsinfographicsfull11358.jpg

I am sure there is more, but this was one of the first links I could find which I thought was quite cool.

Mentioned it last year in the trip report but getting to visit Houston Space Centre last year and go inside a space shuttle, touch a piece of the moon, and see all number of bits of space history. And visit the Apollo era mission control building was just amazing.

Think there's still just something amazing about space exploration and the upcoming Artemis II and III missions.

All for the science and research, it is the rich boys toys and dreams of space leisure flights that I was commenting on.
I got half a day off school after the first moon landing!

I'd be a lot more excited about these launches if Musk wasn't involved.
Agreed, he's an absolute plank. But I guess if we want this kind of realtime development (with spectacular explosions to boot), as opposed to NASA being overly cautious and delaying things by 6+ years a la SLS then I guess we've got to let the idiots with money have their fun.

Actually quite impressed at how far they got with the launch today, further than I thought they'd get. It seemed to take an age to get off the pad, and seems to have done a fair whack of damage as a result:

From: https://twitter.com/mooroobee/status/1649075280630226945

Those concrete chunks did a number NasaSpaceFlight's van too - RIP 😂

From: https://twitter.com/SemrauDylan/status/1649050806577164293

I would imagine we'll see a pad rebuild now with the flame diverters/water deluge systems being installed now, so despite the next boosters and starships being already lined up, it's probably a good while before we see another attempt now. Still, was a fun watch and looking forward to all the footage in the next few days.

I was taught in science at school that we will all be taking holidays on the moon by the year 2000.
Pan Am started sending reservation cards out in 1968.
Space travel is still a million miles away for the common man.
It is just a massive ego trip for billionaires.
The cost of building, then fuelling, space rockets, with a very limited payload, means easy public flights to the moon will simply never happen, unless you are very, very rich.
Limited precious natural resources, all those carbon miles, for no real material benefit...those numbers will never change.

I kind of view space travel similarly to early air travel, limited to the rich and elite. Only difference being space travel has higher costs, higher complexity and will take a far longer time to reach us ‘normal folk’.

I think space tourism will become reality in future, just not for a few generations.

Never happen with our current technology. But there is nothing to say something perhaps beyond our lifetime that could be used to do this more efficiently.

They were exploring possibilities of using forward time travel as some potential way to aide in technology for space travel. Time travel, or time dilation as it is known technically is, is a tried, tested and proven to work going forwards (sort of). To the point our GPS satellites have to compensate for this by knocking milli seconds off every day 24 hours to put them back in sync with earth. As even the smallest amount of error in the time on the GPS satellite can put your location widely out

Scale this exact, proven science of time dilation up from the relatively slow speed of satellites, to say, speeds much higher than we can go currently, whist in a spaceship. Then as an example, you could have travelled for 2 hours on the space ship at these super high speeds for an hour from the earth, turn around and an hour back to the earth. To you on the spaceship, 2 hours of time would have passed. Watching from the earth however, many more hours or even days would have passed. The faster the object travels relative to the other, in this case, the space ship and the earth, the larger the dilation, aka the bigger time difference.

Get your head around that one. This is not theory, it a proven science and as I said actually has to be applied and designed for in real world applications.

Going back to my original point though, they are looking at this to try and develop one of many new population systems or ways of moving around the Universe, this technology for that application though, very unlikely we will see it in our lifetime.

We may not even need rockets in the future, we have already successfully teleported single atoms and photons, who knows where that could go in a long, long time. Lunch on proxima centauri? Back in time for the England game.

Not in our lifetimes, and not in our civilisations existence.
You still have to get up to incredibly fast speeds, under incredible acceleration...which we simply cannot attain with our current systems.
We simply don't have the stuff to make it happen...so time travel for us is still extremely unlikely outside science fiction, sorry.

Not in our lifetimes, and not in our civilisations existence.
You still have to get up to incredibly fast speeds, under incredible acceleration...which we simply cannot attain with our current systems.
We simply don't have the stuff to make it happen...so time travel for us is still extremely unlikely outside science fiction, sorry.

With the exponentially growing rates of progress I wouldn't call it outside the reach of our civilisations. Our lifetimes? Almost certainly. But our civilisation, perhaps not.

Besides you've effectively time travelled if you go on an aircraft or even in a car. Thanks to the time dilation mentioned above. But yeah, to do it to any meaningful amount. You need to go VERY fast. So in that pedantic sense, we are already time travelling. But just to a extremely small amount.

Maybe we do time travel already, we just have to harness it. That is very different from creating the technology. I mean, time dilatation is the concept of time distorting between two objects in different states of motion relative to each other right? Is that not the same as every single atom of matter in the observable universe. Nothing that we can see is in a true state of stillness when compared to each other. Everything on the earth rotates with the earth, which orbits the sun, which orbits the galaxy, which in turn is moving through space, different to other galaxy's, nothing is actually 'still'. So maybe the answer is already there, we just have to figure a way to harness it. Very different to developing the technology to do it from scratch. Nothing, no atom, molecule, electron or whatever that we can see, see the affects of, or the object those particles make up, exist in a state of stillness relative to a hypothetical wall of the universe, they are all in motion. Could they exist if they were absolute still? Pretty sure this has a lot of the answers to things including what the original topic was about. Not much scientific research exists in this field just yet, growing but it is still early days. But very difficult to research this online as trails are still being blazed so to speak in this specific but extremely important scientific area. But seeing as the Milky way for example, is moving differently relatively to any other galaxy, what are the time dilations between those and how does that effect travel? How can understanding that, from these bigger than supermassive objects, push us forward within this field. So many very interesting questions on this, prizes will be won from those who discover the many things that are undoubtedly to be discovered in this field, in our lifetime too.

I will admit, this is some big box, blue sky thinking, but with very valid points grounded in very real science, so these things warrant it.

Last edited:
We aren't time travelling!
Relativity does not mean time travel, it is time distortion, a massive difference.
The Apollo travellers did not "time travel" anywhere, time was distorted through the velocity and distance travelled, there was no "travel jump" or "time jump", there was simply time distortion, caused by relativity.
That is not, and never will be, time travel.
I would like my moon ticket reservation with Pan Am cancelling, as we seem to be much further from scheduled services to the moon than we were fifty years ago.
Valid points, grounded in science, but still... regular interplanetary travel will not happen for humans in our lifetimes, and probably within human civilisation on the planet.