• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

That makes no sense. The coach park is 2km away from where the attraction is being built.

Unless this is just a temporary attraction with the view to making it a permenant extra if successful like extraordinary golf?

One major lesson that I've learn't over the years is....

..."don't listen or believe in rumours, regardless if they came from a reputable source or not" o_O

0C81lhc.jpg

I can actually see truth in it. It's clear the attraction is temporary in its current guise and location, plus the new 10 year plan makes sense to see the dungeons relocated there and form the base layer of the further additions to come.

I can actually see truth in it. It's clear the attraction is temporary in its current guise and location, plus the new 10 year plan makes sense to see the dungeons relocated there and form the base layer of the further additions to come.

In what way is it clearly temporary though? Half-arsed maybe, temporary I fear not.

I also heard rumours a couple of years back, that they were planning to move the Sealife too, I'm still waiting ...

....from what I've been told, both the Sealife and the dungeons will be moved once the DFS sales finishes o_O

In what way is it clearly temporary though? Half-arsed maybe, temporary I fear not.

The bigger plans for the future of the area are the giveaway. This is clearly a stop gap given they had an idea which unfortunately fell through. Dungeons at the resort, yes I can see being permanent. In the current location when it opens in 2019 however, not so permanent.

I’d be inclined to agree, but with Merlin the lines between what makes a temporary attraction and what makes a permanent attraction are a little blurred. I do see this as being something that they’ve quickly shoved into the area whilst they work on an alternative solution for the area as a whole. And if the Dungeons aren’t successful, then I can see things going that way and a new themed area eventually being developed. But if they are successful (and that’s a big if)... would they really spend the money needed to move them to a new location when they know they’d only be losing money themselves. Something that’s meant to be short term permanent could become long term permanent very quickly if there is money to be made out of it.

Bigger plans for the area? Like what? Any evidence to support these claims?

If they had any idea that fell through. This isn’t the stop gap until they work up plan b. This will be plan b.

If the dungeons work. Then i can see the whole area becoming something similar. Horrible histories is a brand they already have a licence for and would sit next to dungeons nicely.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

What new 10 year plan

The only way the Alton Dungeon would have a long term future at the park if it is at a good price. Like even at £5 each would a family of 4 pay a extra £20 after paying £110+ with 2 for 1 vouchers to get in.
Like my daughter will be 7 next year so to old to enjoy CBeebies land but to young to go into a scare attraction.
Ever since 1993 I been going to Alton Towers they really haven’t really sorted out this side of the park. The land of make believe was a good theme but needed more attractions to get the guests to go into that area.

The only way alton dungeons would have a long term future at the park. Would be for it to become a attraction within the gate price.

The current development plan does expire this year (2019) so it is likely a new one will make an appearance at some point this year or next.

I think people have to be cautious when criticising how Alton Towers delivered on the existing plan. Firstly, it was never a concrete outline of what was to come, only an indication of the planned scale of investment and development across the resort with some suggestions given to help visual that only. Also, anyone who still expected it be realised fully after the Smiler accident has no understanding or appreciation for how much that impacted the park, both financially and in terms of reputation. Since the accident the focus has been on rebuilding that reputation through investments but also and more importantly for the longer term success, balancing operating costs with a significantly reduced income stream.

The only way alton dungeons would have a long term future at the park. Would be for it to become a attraction within the gate price.

I would say the opposite. If its included in the regular price, its quite likely the number of guests trying to experience will be more than the attraction can handle, resulting in huge queues. They could do free timed tickets, but a £5 timed ticket makes a lot of sense, same as the Warwick Castle Dungeon.
Also generally the Dungeons are very staff heavy attractions, the income helps justify it staying. Yes its not the right attraction in the right place (the old CATCF/Toyland building should remain as a family dark ride), but otherwise it will go the same way as Sub-Terra, where the extra cost of staff to give the right experience, doesn't seem worth it long-term to the park.

I also heard rumours a couple of years back, that they were planning to move the Sealife too, I'm still waiting ...

....from what I've been told, both the Sealife and the dungeons will be moved once the DFS sales finishes o_O

Never heard any rumour they where planning to move Sealife, there was a point when they were exploring closing sealife for a year in 2017 as they where worried the vibration from SW8 construction would adversely affect the animals but they decided it was fine.

Never heard any rumour they where planning to move Sealife, there was a point when they were exploring closing sealife for a year in 2017 as they where worried the vibration from SW8 construction would adversely affect the animals but they decided it was fine.

You obviously don't have the same contacts as me ;)

My above post that you quoted was more tongue in cheek to highlight that people should treat any hearsay with a pinch of salt until it happens. Possible locations included cloud cuckoo land or up by the resort Hotels.

At the end of the day, the Sealife still remains where it is and is now very unlikely to move. I also say the same about the Dungeons.