• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Guys do we think there be any upgrades/stage 2 works taking place this season? Surely the driving school can be easily integrated at the bare minimum! Also optimistic the facades have more theming added or theming around the bland area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly over closed season for next year, but who knows at the moment. The area needs upgrading from the half-baked status it is in regardless of when the work is done.

Yeah it feels like more emphasis on CBeebies Land, with Walliams land seemingly already forgotten about. I was reminiscing earlier and wouldn’t it be great, if we could get anywhere near this level of theming back for a new land. Like even the flooring, they just don’t bother anymore!

f45647844e2df07f306e78599f003f33.jpg

f0187be5ee26fe38e4bedeb6bf7f4c7a.jpg

f09efda7d8d1287c0c8b8ff36e31779a.jpg

A mix of 2D & 3D would work well for the walliams facades to compliment the books!

Have Merlin/Tussauds ever made improvements to an area's theming without a new attraction? (Not just fixing stuff, actually making better.)

The only example I can think of is Ug Land which didn't feature any new attractions but was marketed in and of itself as new for 1999.

I don't see anything improving unless and until the 'second wave' happens (if indeed it does) or the IP is dropped altogether.

Have Merlin/Tussauds ever made improvements to an area's theming without a new attraction? (Not just fixing stuff, actually making better.)

The only example I can think of is Ug Land which didn't feature any new attractions but was marketed in and of itself as new for 1999.

I don't see anything improving unless and until the 'second wave' happens (if indeed it does) or the IP is dropped altogether.
I think Mutiny bay was a similar situation, where I don't think they added anything major but rethemed the rides that were there.

Isn't Granny (Spoiler Alert) dead though?
@Matt.GC I share your confusion. I love Gangsta Granny it’s funny,enjoyable and David William’s first book. I won’t bother to buy the sequel. I don’t get how Granny can be resuscitated after dying of Cancer and her body presumably being disposed of. I feel the squeal has been written to bring David Williams back to the forefront. I love David William,but I wish he wo write stories evolving around new characters with the exception of Raj of course. Speaking of Raj I think David Williams should write a book based around him.

The more I think about it, it’s actually quite shocking that Merlin rip this level of theming out referencing to Beanoland at Chessighton (apart from the wicker man structure and maybe Thirteen station, if we ignore the scaffold) they haven’t progressed at all in 10 years. Ug land theming and things to visually look at was far more impressive. Dark forest has always had potential! But the minimal theming they do is defiantly of a good quality standard, there’s just never enough of it. No large centre pieces or eye catching store fronts or any immersive wow factor. I mean even if they created some fake trees in the centre, would of at least warrant the lands title. But yet again it always come down to budgets again, just like walliams world. Merlin is clearly capable and it’s such a shame. Hopefully things will change in the future.

UG land was awesome. It's not with rose tinted specs that I say that area theming under Merlin is awful. I can't think of a single area since Mutiny Bay they've done that actually improved the area.

Things like Wickerman don't count. They prove than Merlin still can churn out a good theme, but centered around attractions rather than areas.

It's sad really. GG is a decent enough attraction on its own but the disastrous area it sits in will probably detract people from venturing up there to ride it long term. If you didn't know it what it was, you'd probably just venture up there and think it's a forgotten back street of an area that's not worth the time to explore. How can they put the keys in the shutter next month knowing that Walliams World looks like it does? It's an embarrassment.

The problem the area had since late 90’s is so many building left unused.
Like currently you got the Theatre/shop next door unused, The cafe/exit from the Nickelodeon attraction next to that with the Nick attraction next to it.
I know she died at the end of the 1st book but Ben Said he wanted to steal the jewels with the help of his gran’s friends which the 2nd book must be about.

Last edited:
Exactly so many empty facades, even worse they plonk an ice cream van in front of them (use the buildings that are literally built behind) it’s crazy the logic sometimes! So are we on the same idea that there will be no improvements before the park opens soon? As that would be a real shame, but maybe we’re get some more bunting?

Last edited:
Yeah I was wrong about Mutiny Bay as @evilcod said.
I don't really think Merlin see value in theming area's for some reason, they seem to prefer the theming of individual attractions and particularly coasters. This can work however when the park still has themed area's in name it does get confusing.

No just the talking parrot came from Thorpe a few years after Mutiny Bay opened.
It's a small point, but Feathers McClaw was moved over from Thorpe Park when Mutiny Bay first opened.

Yeah I was wrong about Mutiny Bay as @evilcod said.
I don't really think Merlin see value in theming area's for some reason, they seem to prefer the theming of individual attractions and particularly coasters. This can work however when the park still has themed area's in name it does get confusing.
I think it's charitable to call most of Merlin's individual attractions and coasters from the past decade themed, probably safer to say they have 'elements of theming'. You really have to dig deep to buy into the concrete/metal box with occasional decals and an insta-friend entrance portal as 'themed'.

I think it's charitable to call most of Merlin's individual attractions and coasters from the past decade themed, probably safer to say they have 'elements of theming'. You really have to dig deep to buy into the concrete/metal box with occasional decals and an insta-friend entrance portal as 'themed'.
I think you are correct in that regard but Merlin can still do theming when they want to: Wicker Man being a prime example. They just haven't done any major theming of area's for a long time. I think Walliams World definitely needs both more attractions and a better atmosphere which can likely be achieved by better area theming.

I think of anything was happening to the area we would have heard by now, and with CBeebies getting three rethemes I don’t think they’ll want to distract from that this season. Hopefully next year we can get the driving school sorted, a 4D film and something more permanent than Flávio’s in the corner. A proper food place would be nice as well.