Theme park guilty pleasures

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Matt N, 21st Dec 2020.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Hi guys. So often in theme park enthusiasm, there’s a consensus opinion on certain things; certain rides, attractions and parks are loved, while others are hated. But have you got any attractions or parks that you feel as though you really shouldn’t like, but you just do? Any theme park-related guilty pleasures, if you like?

I must admit, I have quite a few! Some of mine include:

• The Simpsons Ride/Springfield at Universal Studios Florida - How much of this is down to the ride and area themselves and how much of this is down to the fact I’m a big Simpsons fan, I’m not entirely sure of, but I’m rather ashamed to admit that Springfield, including The Simpsons Ride itself, is actually one of my personal favourite bits of Universal Orlando. Even though the ride itself doesn’t really compare to some of Universal’s bigger e-ticket dark rides like the Potter rides, Spider-Man, Transformers and Mummy in terms of technical complexity, I must admit that I have a huge soft spot for it, and it makes me smile every time I ride! I’ve ridden it quite a few times now over various trips to Universal, and there are still certain bits in the ride and queue that really make me chuckle every time! I’m also a huge fan of the Springfield area; I think the attention to detail is absolutely astounding, and it really feels like you’re in a Simpsons episode at times! However, I’m always afraid to admit my love for The Simpsons’ attraction at Universal Orlando, because I feel like it’s almost universally panned by most!
    • Runaway Mine Train at Alton Towers - The fact that I have a powered family roller coaster in my top 30 (for reference, my coaster count is 74) probably looks laughable to most of you, but I must admit that even though I’ve been riding RMT for years now (it was one of my first ever coasters), it consistently delivers a fun ride every single time for me! It’s not the most intense of coasters by any means, but it’s just such an effortlessly fun ride that anyone of any age can just sit back and enjoy. And it packs a surprising punch in places; that ending helix is really quite intense for a coaster of only 22mph! It may be a powered roller coaster aimed at families and young children, but there are far worse places you could be than on the back seat of Runaway Mine Train, in my opinion!
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at Alton Towers - Even though it was almost universally slated by most Alton Towers fans, I must admit that I really miss CATCF; it’s one of the defunct rides that I wish I could bring back, for sure! I have many very fond memories of riding it; I always found it a nice, relaxing ride with some really nice theming, and the elevator ending added a really unique layer to the overall experience, in my opinion! On the whole, I just have many fond memories of this ride, and I always really enjoyed it; certainly one I never personally got the hate for!
    • DinoRama at Disney’s Animal Kingdom - While I admit that DinoRama is far from my favourite area in Animal Kingdom, and it is quite a stark contrast to the park’s other areas, I’m ashamed to say that I do still kind of like it! I found the area quite cute and charming in its own sort of way; it’s a very vibrant area, in my opinion, and there’s a surprising amount of theming with all of the dinosaur cutouts and the lights around! Overall, I always kind of liked DinoRama, in an odd kind of way; even though I admit that it’s not Disney’s finest work, I still think it’s a nice little area in its own special way.
    • Oakwood - Even though everyone seems to hate Oakwood, I must admit that I have a real soft spot for it! In spite of the fact that it was tipping down with rain, I still managed to have a great day at Oakwood when I last went in May 2019! And I actually think the park has a lot going for it; Megafobia, even though it doesn’t quite compare to newer rides like Wicker Man for me, is a really solid, fun coaster, in my opinion, and I love Oakwood’s very quaint, wooded setting! I also think that the park has a certain charm to it throughout that really makes me like it; things like Neverland and the train ride to the park, amongst other sections, dare I say almost feel kind of magical!
    But what are some of your theme park guilty pleasures?

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  2. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Despite it's falling, Drayton Manor will always have a special place despite me having bad experiences with particular things when I last went, I actually really enjoy in terms of rides Runaway Mine Train as well And like @Matt N I rank it quite high so yh!

Skyscraper and Matt N like this.
    Posted 21st Dec 2020
  3. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Monster Attack at Energylandia in Poland.

What an absolute gem. Genuinely a highlight of our trip, it is hilarious.

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  4. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    The London Dungeons, when we are not in tier 4 I will just take the train to London and do two laps of the Dungeons. (If you go at the start of the day then there will always be free slots).

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  5. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Wild Arctic at SeaWorld Orlando.

It's just hilarously bad.

I rode the version at SeaWorld San Diego in 2019, and it was nowhere near as rough... and therefore nowhere near as hilarious!

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  6. Charlie Newbold

Charlie Newbold TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Droomvlucht
    Euromir. An incredibly dull lift hill followed by some pointless turns and then a rough coaster section. It shouldn’t work - but it does.

And I absolutely adore it. If I could only ride one roller coaster for the rest of my life I’m pretty sure it would be Euromir (or De Vliegende Hollander).

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  7. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I unashamedly love Mir, it was in my top 10 for many years until the weight of genuinely great rides on my list got too much to justify it still being up there.

Sticking with EP, I unironically liked Universe of Energy. MFC is objectively much better but I don't particularly want to ride it more often than its predecessor.

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  8. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    There is nothing pointless to the turns atop Euro-Mir when you are looking over the best overall park in Europe. in winter season, in the dark, it becomes something even more beautiful.

*spots all the nice things before being hurtled downhill at ridiculous G force*

Ian, MattyH, Dan and 3 others like this.
    Posted 21st Dec 2020
  9. Thameslink Rail

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    The lift hill of Euromir is not dull, you just need to sing along!
    "A big green track that's made by Mack"

Posted 21st Dec 2020
  10. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    - Crazy Bats at Phantasialand is admirable on how awful it is compared to what is the rest of the park I couldn't help but smile when riding it.

- Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris is something I unironically like. Then again most people say it's bad by Disney standards.

- Fun Spot Orlando left a positive impact on me. Maybe because I found the staff to be quite friendly when I went.

- Walibi Holland has a whole is fun because of how bizarrely presented it is.

11. AstroDan

Favourite Ride:
    We have our own chants for that ride that are not postable here.

Mattmash, MattyH, djtruefitt and 6 others like this.
  12. Thameslink Rail

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I will also add to my guilty pleasures, Paultons, a really good park with far superior rides to Chessington and actually good animatronics. Hoping that I can go ride Storm Chaser next year!

13. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    I will add their 4D cinema onto that list, so bad you had to love it. And whoever made that clip we watched in there must of been on some strong stuff.

14. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Nothing guilty about a Paultons Pleasure, it's the best park in the country by a mile.

Mine would have to be Great Yarmouth's Joyland. I know the snails and tubs aren't meant for 40 year olds, but I ride them with glee. It's my happy place.

Last edited: 21st Dec 2020
  15. Thameslink Rail

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I don't know how old you are so I don't know how far off 40 you are (please don't take offence).

16. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

I'm the wrong side of 40 to be riding toddlers rides for the pure joy if it!!

17. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Enterprise at Towers for me. Rare for a spinning ride to not make me nauseous, and I love the feeling of the G’s, even more fun after a couple of drinks in the Welcome Inn.

18. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion, Valhalla, Apocalypse, RIP... Black Hole, Wild Mouse, The Flume
    I been riding the snails and barrels for around 50 years, so yes I still have a soft spot for Joyland and the snails have got to be my guilty pleasure (and not just the ones at Joyland, but also the ones at the pleasure beach) . Dark rides have got to be my guilty pleasures including Blackpools Alice in wonderland, River caves, Wallace and Gromit ride etc...

John_P and Matt N like this.
  19. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

The sweet smell of Alice on the Beach on a warm summers day...

MattyH and Matt N like this.
  20. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    +1 vote for Euro Mir. I absolutely adore that ride.

Also at EP I’d throw Abenteuer Atlantis.

Beyond Europa:
    • Any monorail system which isn’t in a state of total disrepair (looking at you, Towers)
    • The late Slammer at Thorpe (RIP)
    • Journey Into Imagination at EPCOT

Matt N likes this.