• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thirteen: General Discussion

Very cold and damp up in Staffordshire today and Thirteen is closed…do we think the issues identified last year with the drive tyres have been fixed or not?

I’d heard they had but it makes you think not because it’s been closed all day. It may actually be because the temperature is 4 degrees rather than being wet - Thirteen doesn’t operate under either 7 or 5 degrees, can’t remember which it is.
We’ll know about the drive tyres on a day that’s above those temperatures and is raining.

Somebody on park said that Thirteen was operating during the rain today (and is also back on 3 trains) so the issue must've been sorted over winter.

Went on Thirteen in the rain yesterday, there is a noticeable difference on how well it traverses the lift hill when it’s wet… seemed to be a lot slower…. but made it up and over so guess it’s been fixed!

If that is the case, I am guessing they have slowed the lift down for wet weather, to improve traction. As appose to it being slower because it is slipping, you would hear that, it would be quite audible.

Random observation. The acceleration from the brakes into the station is probably better than Icon.

I am sure I have heard JW talking about this online somewhere. Saying he was hammering Intamin during testing to make the kicker wheels, switchbacks and the drop sequence all run as fast as possible to make sure the ride gets the throughput it needs. This is why the ride goes so quickly in the bit you mention. The drop is capable of going up and down like a yo yo all day long. Immediately raising once a car has left, ready to immediately take another car and drop again with no delay, all day long, every day.

For all of it's faults, when you look at it from this perspective, it is one VERY impressive piece of engineering to be fair. So much mechanical and electrical equipment working in harmony.

For anyone interested, here is the video where John Wardley discusses and explains exactly what I have I have just mentioned. Including the speed of the kicker wheels into the station. Interesting for sure. Fascinating how he goes on to mention the very large and heavy switch track of Expedition Everest.

I have specifically linked it to the relevant part of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the cars slow down a lot more as they enter the crypt now, which means the audio starts to trigger before you have stopped now, as they haven’t reprogrammed it since they slowed the cars down.