• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2015 Coaster?

Type of coaster?

• Mack

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Intamin Mega-Lite

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Intamin Mega

• Hybrid

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • GCI Woodie

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • B&M Dive Machine

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • B&M Flyer

• B&M Hyper

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
I don't think Merlin have ever built a proper flat, have they? All Thorpe's date from the Tussauds era.

B&M 4D will be the next AT coaster. I think a hypercoaster with plenty of airtime is probably on the cards - wouldn't be anything like Stealth yet would draw in the crowds as it would be comparable in height to the PMBO. Perhaps a B&M hyper? Or a Bizarro style Intamin?

While Merlin are in charge, we will never see a proper flat ride installed again.

I don't think they see them as viable investments.

Not to mention the maintenance, a word you will never find in the Merlin ethos.

The development manager at Thorpe, providing he's not left, fell in love with Maverick and iSpeed when he rode them, so I would assume something along those lines from Intamin.

He was also known to like the Air Race from Zamperla, which, could make a good filler year and be tied in with The Swarm quite easily.

It's a shame about merlin not installing flats, I love rush, slammer, detonator, poccy, ents & ripsaw. More please.

Thing is Thorpe have reached a real saturation point with flats they could build that would compliment the current lot, rather than just replicate existing ones in a slightly different manner...

Flats are more required at Towers and Chessie really...

Jared said:
The development manager at Thorpe, providing he's not left, fell in love with Maverick and iSpeed when he rode them, so I would assume something along those lines from Intamin.

2 Intamin launches? They do seem very highly regarded, but again, the debate about would a wing rider and 4D look similar pales away when you put a Blitz and Stealth alongside each other.

It's quite a tough choice to get this right I think.

I was thinking that a water coaster could go in? It will most likely be a coaster, I just hope they take advantage of the lakeside views with this next one!

TheMan said:
Jared said:

2 Intamin launches? They do seem very highly regarded, but again, the debate about would a wing rider and 4D look similar pales away when you put a Blitz and Stealth alongside each other.

It's quite a tough choice to get this right I think.

Regarding ispeed, you have a point as both stealth and ispeed have a launch and top hat. That pretty much rules out a launched blitz coaster, maverick on the other hand has a lsm lift hill which would differentiate stealth and a blitz...

Maverick also has a 'traditional' launch section...

In addition to that LSM launches are superior to Hydraulic ones...

Back to my egf comment.

Egf is only 170 ft, so I'd say within the Thorpe height bracket, and is regarded one of the best coasters in the world.

The park also doesn't have much budget and the operations terrible and its still phenomenal. so I'm sure it will take a lot for Merlin to cock it up

Egf clone or similar would be amazing.

I can't believe no one got my more than subtle hint...

ThorpePark2010-2015.jpg

Re: Re: Thorpe Park 2015 Coaster?

Dave said:
There was some rumor (and this is pure rumor) that the next Thorpe coaster had been moved back a little due to the poor performance of parks over the last 2 years.

Please remember this is just the whispers on the grapevine.

I really hope that remains rumour, as it would be completely counter productive and awful business sense. No one visiting park, so we wont pay into capital expenditure to give something for people to visit for...

That plan above doesn't make any sense - I can't work out a reference for it

In the planning documents for the Crash Pad it stated that the next coaster had been pushed back a year. So I guess that means it would be 2016.

djtruefitt said:
In the planning documents for the Crash Pad it stated that the next coaster had been pushed back a year. So I guess that means it would be 2016.

Except it didn't say that. It said that if the Crash Pad site was to be used for a Coaster in the future, as has been planned, then the earliest it could be built was 2016.

Infact ignore me, I think it could well have been the plans for the billboard! Stating that the Swarm hadn't been a massive success which is why they were adding the billboard, and that the next coaster was delayed.

I'm pretty sure I have read it on some Thorpe planning documents.

There's a fair bit of ambiguity about whether or not the next coaster will open in 2015 or 2016 in the plans..

2015.png

This is a screen cap from the Snoozebox applications.

The generally referred to (in the MTDP) "2015" coaster can go up to 50m, and would either go on Island A (next to Swarm / behing Stealth) or Island E (where the Snoozeboxes are). It does however say that the "2015" coaster on Area E may not be built until 2016.

The thing is, the Snoozeboxes are going to be there until February 2016. If a coaster was to be built for the 2016 season on Island E, it would of course be constructed during 2015 - would Snoozebox guests want to sleep on the same plot of land as a construction site? No. So, really, a coaster wouldn't open there until 2017 at the earliest.

The fact that it says the Snoozeboxes won't affect the coaster development would surely mean then that they'd want to use the island next to Swarm for the next coaster (which also makes more sense considering how obvious it is to everyone from Swarm)? There's nothing to suggest that the coaster on Island A is to be delayed per se, but it doesn't seem exactly convincing that the next coaster will be in 2015. I do remember reading somewhere else on the Snoozebox application that the park do want to focus of their accomodation strategy though, which could be a reason for delaying the coaster for a year.

The application for Swarm's billboard stated that there had been a poor response to marketing (despite actual ride reaction being positive), and so the "thrill factor" of the ride had to be increased, as so to bring more people to the park. Whilst the park aren't doing as well as they'd want to be doing, they're more pinpointing that to a poor response to marketing, as opposed to actual failures of the park itself.

As for what the next coaster will be, there's absolutely no indications whatsoever what it could be. The MTDP only shows mock layouts to give an indication of size to the council and there's no rumours really about deals with manufacturers or anything like that.