• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2015 Coaster?

Type of coaster?

• Mack

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Intamin Mega-Lite

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Intamin Mega

• Hybrid

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • GCI Woodie

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • B&M Dive Machine

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • B&M Flyer

• B&M Hyper

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
There's very little information to talk about, and according to riderater we're not even 100% sure whether it'll be built in 2015.

Well, urh m...

In my opinion I don't think there is going to be any need for any of the steel coasters in that poll unless it was a Hybrid, which would be quite nice compared to a B&M Hyper. ::)

This is a great topic. Times like this I wish I was a mod as I'd express my distaste at the level of rudeness.

I am not though, so I wont ;D

I was thinking about this, a flyer would be nice (even though I am not a fan), a spinner is a waste of a proper investment year imo.

You know what though, I think given how successful The Smiler is likely to be, I can see Merlin throwing the rumoured SW7 into THORPE PARK.

My money is on a B&M 4D. Is that too many B&Ms? They wont want a standard to overshadow Colossache, you really only need one Gerst per park, they have 2 successful Intamins, - they may go once more to B&M like Towers were believed to be.

That gives B&M time to further develop the concept, and fits the "Thrill" dynamic that arguably The Swarm doesn't fit (though I personally love it).

So for me, it is SW7 that will land at THORPE in the shape of the rumoured air car park B&M 4D.

TheMan said:
This is a great topic. Times like this I wish I was a mod as I'd express my distaste at the level of rudeness.

I am not though, so I wont ;D

I was thinking about this, a flyer would be nice (even though I am not a fan), a spinner is a waste of a proper investment year imo.

You know what though, I think given how successful The Smiler is likely to be, I can see Merlin throwing the rumoured SW7 into THORPE PARK.

My money is on a B&M 4D. Is that too many B&Ms? They wont want a standard to overshadow Colossache, you really only need one Gerst per park, they have 2 successful Intamins, - they may go once more to B&M like Towers were believed to be.

That gives B&M time to further develop the concept, and fits the "Thrill" dynamic that arguably The Swarm doesn't fit (though I personally love it).

So for me, it is SW7 that will land at THORPE in the shape of the rumoured air car park B&M 4D.
Not sure if serious...

I think they'll throw us a curveball and go for Vekoma [/troll face]

Jonathan said:
Not sure if serious...

Every bit serious mate. As I wrote it I chuckled, however this time? I think that is what will happen. I don't mean the literal coaster obviously, I just mean in terms of B&M will not wait 4 years to put this out if it is near to being ready.

With the relationship to Wardley, and the very strong rumours (sensible this time) that SW7 was changed from this, to The Smiler, I think we will see this at THORPE PARK I really do.

Bearing in mind that Thorpe already have a Wing Rider, then assuming that a potential B&M 4D would have trains similar to The Swarm, I doubt that they'd open a 4D coaster at Thorpe.

Jonathan said:
Bearing in mind that Thorpe already have a Wing Rider, then assuming that a potential B&M 4D would have trains similar to The Swarm, I doubt that they'd open a 4D coaster at Thorpe.

That is a good point, although I must say I cannot imagine a swoopy wing rider and a 4D would feel anything like the same.

I mean X2 looks naff all like it does it?

I disagree. Merlin will want such an innovation in roller coaster technology to be built in their most popular park - and Alton Towers is the biggest and best theme park in the UK. Such a ride would prove to be more of a hit at Alton Towers than Thorpe.

I can see the original SW7 being just like Air. Air was postponed due to problems with the technology and instead Oblivion was built in it's place. Then a few years later when the flyer had been perfected, Air was finally built at Alton Towers. I can see the B&M 4D (or whatever their secret weapon is) following just like that.

As for Thorpe in 2015? A woodie is out the question (Merlin have made that quite clear) and it's impossible to discuss what could be built.

What I want is a GCI woodie. What we'll get won't be. If Thorpe's management apparently like the look of Maverick, my money will be on an Intamin.

They'll need to do something different as they've already got loopers, so I'll go with the mega for airtime. But this is Merlin and they'll want something a little more unique to market it to the GP, so I'll take a chance with something like Skyrush at Hershey.

Something like Skyrush would be unique in Europe, unique in the UK and it offers the same intense twists, turns and hills as Maverick, just without the inversions and with much more speed and ejector airtime hills.

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it's more inspiring and immersive than Swarm.

The topic is a bit pointless if no one's even linked the plans yet, which I would have thought would have been the source of the debate. Instead of asking "what type of coaster will it be", it would be a bit less speculative to debate on whether the plans are feasible, and possibly deducing what coaster type could be used to fit this.

Really, just this random name calling of coasters, that are very unlikely to occur- like a B&M 4D coaster- is just rather uninformed.

I don't get this sometimes you know.

If the debate does not interest you, don't contribute? A few of us here are enjoying having a casual discussion on what it could be, it isn't like we were starved of information, the development plans prior to The Swarm showed how much space, we pretty much know the height restrictions, Merlin tend to have an investment pattern and certain things they like to do with a park.

Sometimes the only point of a discussion, is to just enjoy the discussion! Now there's a concept.

There was some rumor (and this is pure rumor) that the next Thorpe coaster had been moved back a little due to the poor performance of parks over the last 2 years.

Please remember this is just the whispers on the grapevine.

If they do push the next coaster back at Thorpe they need some form of good medium or small investment between now and then. The non-coaster investments at Thorpe have been nothing short of awful. You'd like to think Thorpe have relatively major plans for 2014 considering there was nothing at all new this year. I'm not talking something on the same scale as a coaster, but a large flat or something.

Delaying investments due to poor performance may cause a horrible circle of decline as it were, where people performance stays low as people have no reason to go so things get being put back more and people continue to not go. I personally think Thorpe needs massive changes in a number of ways.

:)

Pardon the slight off topic question here, but can someone name the last proper flat ride that Merlin installed?

I am not counting N:ST either. 4D Cinema. Safari ride. You can't really count Storm Surge as a "flat" either.