• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Is it just me, but do others feel that by having a VR ride, it means they can scrimp on actually putting any effort into the ride, such as the experience, the themeing etc. To be honest, they could sit you in a chair in the middle of a bland room and make you feel like your on a rollercoaster or other ride.

Personally, give me a "real" ride any day over a simulated one.

This is my main concern about VR on rides. It just gives me a horrible gut feeling that Merlin have an excuse not to create a proper real ride experience when they can just do it with VR headsets.

I'd argue the same re: VR. However in the teaser videos released today the theming looks like it could be top quality.

If it was to be an exhaustive VR experience why spend all that money suspending the train carriage in mid-air? Why bother even having a themed carriage?

The releases have said it will feature VR elements but they will only be a small part of the full 13 minute experience...

I think we need to give them a break. The stuff that will be VR will be VR because, it may not be possible to do practical. Let's see how it pans out. I was the first to think it was a cop out, especially on air... But nobody has experienced either ride yet so can't really cast judgement.

I'd be happy with the suspended carriage simply as a fab theming piece above the station

In its current artistic impression form, I am struggling to see how it could be anything else, other than theming. At most it could be an elaborate stage piece.

However, if guests do indeed go into the carriage as part of the ride, then I wonder if the image above is to illustrate how it should appear from inside (with the help of SFX and VR), rather than from outside/below.

I'd be happy with the suspended carriage simply as a fab theming piece above the station

In its current artistic impression form, I am struggling to see how it could be anything else, other than theming. At most it could be an elaborate stage piece.

However, if guests do indeed go into the carriage as part of the ride, then I wonder if the image above is to illustrate how it should appear from inside (with the help of SFX and VR), rather than from outside/below.

This is why I asked if riders actually get on this... logistically from an engineering point of view would be practically impossible to do.

Wonder if the carriage will move at all - as in side to side up and down, which may be possible if suspended by ropes if they are attached to some sort of movement mechanism.

It does actually mention that in one of the press releases, just saw it claimed myself on a website...

Seems to be a lot of expectation in the vr side now... If that's the future of rides then count me out...

From the press release:

"Derren Brown’s Ghost Train will be housed within an extraordinary purpose built warehouse that encompasses 2306 square metres and is tall enough to house nearly three double decker buses. The centrepiece of the attraction will consist of a 20 metre long, four and a half metre high, seven tonne Victorian train carriage that is suspended in mid air over three metres above ground by iron chains. A carriage which passengers enter via a metal bridge, and where the mind-bending journey begins in earnest in what appears to be a large disused Victorian warehouse."

Its possible as well they could use the most basic magic trick, mirrors, and its actually only half a carrage with a bridge/entrance on the back

As much as I think vr shouldn't be used on a dark ride, I get the feeling that the way this will be used will work. Having looked at the promotional videos, in can say I'm a little exited about this (and well done thorpe for releasing the information at 9am :rolleyes:). This has the potential to be a really good edition, especially for a park with very few dark rides. From what I've seen, it appears that DB will have little to do with the ride, just the introdution of the ride and probably a lot of marketing promotions. Also, lets hope they don't rely to heavily on "live action", I don't give it long before they give up on it and I don't want another sub terra.

I would really be happy if anybody could help me complete the final clue. I have done the rest and still can't find out the 7th clue from the video. Many thanks

Its possible as well they could use the most basic magic trick, mirrors, and its actually only half a carrage with a bridge/entrance on the back

Or maybe the VR headsets make us think we are entering the suspended carriage but we are actually entering the ride vehicle.

I still think the carriage will be the 'ride' section. It's unfathomable that a ride in the typical sense of the word could last for 13 minutes in a building of that size. They keep playing on how long it is and how it will be an experience of multiple different types of things (VR, illusion, live action...)

I'm sure I read somewhere that there's going to be a physical transit system, is that right or is just the train 'segment'?

:)

They are saying 13 minutes because the number 13 plays on people's minds!