• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Thorpe have posted a series of photos on Facebook showing how construction of the building has progressed from August through to January. Here is the January photo:

9571_10153755317260867_6221888745041396950_n.png

Got to admit, that looks rather good!

:)
Doesn't seem to work for me? Have they deleted them since?

Loads of updates today on the Thorpe Instagram of Derren Brown filming against a green screen. Not giving anything away mind, just showing that recordings are taking place :)

Loads of updates today on the Thorpe Instagram of Derren Brown filming against a green screen. Not giving anything away mind, just showing that recordings are taking place :)
They're filming the TV advert.

Also, does this confirm Dynamic Attractions' involvement?
FiEHWDD.png

Last edited:
Considering that we've found that the attraction will use the HTC Vive for the VR segments, is it safe to assume that Figment Productions (The company who has produced the VR visuals and setup for Galactica) will be doing this project also. They state that they are releasing in 2016 "world's first visitor attraction projects" and considering that they show the vive in this banner i'd assume so.

5e7959e7e554241386ae39ee71b698e5.jpg

Lets just hope it's up to scratch if we've got two VR additions from this company.

Ive REALLY tried to keep an open mind on this but the more I discover the more I am uninterested.

So in usual Merlin tightness we've got 2 rides at different parks essentially based on 1 set of hardware (or the development company, same thing).
We're getting a generic Merlin dilapidated theme.
Its got an IP that isn't especially needed, was possibly a cheaper option and won't have a mass appeal.
Its a gimmick to be a 'worlds first'.
Its short-term plan appears actor (and equipment) heavy.
There will be no long-term plan for when budgets are cut.

--
I'll admit Im not a fan of magicians, its not my thing - but I have no ill opinion of Derren Brown (from what I have seen, he seems a charming man, but his act interests me none). But I do like a decent dark ride, especially a story - I think Sub Terra was close to being a good ride after all the tweaks - close, it certainly became parable and something that had more potential. But its message got massively lost between marketing, operations, H&S and eventually finance.
I fear we're on the same track here. Thorpe had an IP attraction before with staff - the Saw on a boat thing, that didn't last long either due to cost.

Im sick of Merlin pushing bloody Worlds Firsts. No. Think of something creative. You've been hammering this crap for about 6 years. Its lost all impact. Worst marketing team ever. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the gormless wonders at Merlin Marketing tried to re-launch the Smiler as the World First limb losing coaster.
I doubt/hope they aren't actually that insincere but they have 0% of scope beyond anything being a worlds first.

Its VR. Im VERY cautious of Air due to the associated motion-sickness on a ride which can have slightly variable speeds - this is giving the speed and movement down to the individual. Vom bags at the ready please.

And Im still confused where the budget has gone.
HTC hedsets, a music score, a (probably recycled scare maze), a building and a train prop. Where the frig has the money gone? This needs to have some MAJOR expensive surprise or Im saying it was a finance swindle.

And Im still confused where the budget has gone.
HTC hedsets, a music score, a (probably recycled scare maze), a building and a train prop. Where the frig has the money gone? This needs to have some MAJOR expensive surprise or Im saying it was a finance swindle.

Um.. building fees? staff costs? Derren's fee? producing 12 different VR films? Set construction? lighting and audio installation? Show control software? Show control hardware? Marketing? Overheads? Insurance? costume design and/or purchase? Planning costs? H&S/Risk Assessment costs? Staff fees?

Like Derren's stuff - there's much more to an attraction than meets the eye.

Let's just hope having Derren's name on it is like insurance for it being decent.

It will be good for the first season. Second season though I can see the budget being taken away for actors and upkeeping the vr systems. Eventually, if they do rely on actors and vr, I can see it being expensive to run and being another sub terra. This would really have potential under different management, but with merlin it will probably be SBNO soon

Not with Derren attached. I don't think people here understand what a stickler for detail is - and if the attraction he's attached to and promoted isn't working to his standards, he will either pull his name from it or demand it's fixed.

Think of it as Rowling and Potter...

Great to see optimism guys. It's not even finished being built and already talking about its demise!
I'm sure everyone would be more optimistic if merlin started to deliver high quality flats/dark rides that are maintained for years and don't rely on gimicks.

From what I've seen of derrens work, I know that we will get an excellent ride with an enormous amount of detail. My only worry is that Thorpe will let it slip in a few years