• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

After watching that video above... When we went on it there was no staff member in the corridor between the pre show and the main warehouse, we just waited until the door was opened and we walked through.
We had an actor on our ride. She was trying to do safety/story announcements (like those on the video), but she was atempting to do it over a tannoy device, only problem was that it wasn't working (or she didn't know how to use it). That room really doesn't add anything, not sure why it's there really.

The stations look very good, but the service tunnel area in between is not very immersive or scary really. The mock trains in the tunnel were terrible. It would have been better just cutting off the front cabs off some old tube trains. Get special effects to batter them, repaint them and wire them up and that would have looked much more convincing. Also, if a train derails right in front of me, I want to feel it! Just having it stop with loud noises didn't really make me jump.

Honestly the ride is great for what it is, don't think i'm being negative. I'm only making these suggestions because I know it can be and want it to be better!

Watching that video just reminded me of why this ride made me so angry! It just starts SO well, that build up from Derren is awesome, even that video you could sense the tension from people as they headed out.

Then you board a tube train with loads of Thorpe ride ops and all suspense dies.

It's the subtlety of the first VR section that really scares me. A rough looking shadowy man boarding the train and slumping his bag on the floor. It goes pitch black, you don't know where he is, what's he going to do? The lights come on and he's directly opposite me. The way he looks at you and directly talks to you, "You know there's gas down here?" As he waves a lighter in one hand.
That is what I want more of. The whole city scene was too OTT.

Last edited:
Is there any positivity of them doing another sub terra and making improvement to it in the future, replacing the unrealistic second vr section with something much more like the first. It would be much better if it did less, you just can't take it all in, there's no tension like there is in the first.

Like a Sub Terra Train overhaul for Thorpe Park? I'd rather they just improve the Ghost train with upgraded VR graphics and a more believable immersive* and scarier storyline.

*I do want a bit of fantasy, but I want to feel like it's really happening.

Like a Sub Terra Train overhaul for Thorpe Park? I'd rather they just improve the Ghost train with upgraded VR graphics and a more believable immersive* and scarier storyline.

*I do want a bit of fantasy, but I want to feel like it's really happening.

I think Leah means will they listen to the reviews and change it like they did with sub terr.

I meant that "due to guest feedback", improvements were made to the ride after it opwned. Idealy, if the second vr section had a completely new story that at least fitted in with, and improved upon the first section (we start in the first section with the gas "affecting" people, and the rides story goes along a zombie/infection route. We then go into the second section, and it's full blown monsters and more like creatures have been relese by the fracking, making the first section completely obsolete).

It would also be nice if the vr was upgraded to have better graphics, though I don't think that's too urgent, galactica needs it more. If they could sort out the glitchiness of it, that would be a good im promenade, but I don't think the graphics are too bad (about as good as current technology will allow). I hope thorpe have considered this in the future though. It may be some of the best graphics we can have now, but new technology will date the ride quickly.

I would like to see a new ending for the ride, much like sub terra had its lifts added, I think ghost train needs something just to finish the ride properly. Even if it's just an actor chasing you off with one of the monster puppets, something needs to happen. Even a voice over from derren brown on the exit corridor explaining how the ride controlled your emotions or something, the ride just ends, leaving you thinking "is that it?"

I'm back from Thorpe Park.

I'm so pleased that I didn't read any of the spoilers and kept away from this thread until I rode the ride and experience it first hand without knowing anything about it. I must say that the VR didn't do anything for me, nor did I find it scary.

The movement of the train was really realistic. What blew me away was the fact that you got on an Victorian carriage that was suspended in the middle of the warehouse by chains But when you got off, you were in a different station and the train you got off was a modern tube train. I had to go queue up for it again to figure it out. The second time around I did suss it out and it is very cleaver. I also loved the use of the pepper ghost illusion for the pre-show at the start with Derren Brown.

Yes the train dose move, it lowers down at the start while you are getting the focusing sorted on the VR. A mirror just underneath the Victorian carriage hides the hydraulic system. I'm on the understanding that there are up to three trains in total running at once (Staff member clarified that 3 trains are in use with me today), I presume the VR section where you end up with smoke and seem to be waiting a while with the monster occasionally appears, is on a loop. This part seems very drawn out, but I presume this part is kept ruining until the Victorian carriage (which is a shell) is empty before the tain your in can then proceed.

Ok it's not the best ride in the world, but for a non Rollercoaster ride, my verdict is wow, one of the best around.

Well done to Derren and Thorpe Park :)

The most consistent issue everyone seems to agree on is how jarring the quality of the second section is compared to the first.

As for what happens if you take your VR off, the answer is nothing. My girlfriend took hers off as she really doesn't like horror/scares and nobody said anything. I'm guessing they don't want to be seen to be forcing people to sit through the VR if they are freaking out. This may differ with different staff members though.

I do love the quality of theming from start to finish with the ride but the VR definitely needs improving or completely revamping in the second half. I would also be in favour of dropping the knee grabbing for something a bit more subtle like blasts of air [when the glass breaks], different smells [gas build up] and small amount of smoke [in the middle section].

I still enjoyed it and think this is a solid effort from Merlin. I think it's a better dark ride than N:ST and with a better second half it would be better than Hex.

really? I think the knee grabbing works the first time you ride, Comes as a shock. Would be in favour of other effects though, such as air blasts or scent machines. Thought there was plenty of smoke in the fracking section though when I did it, maybe it's been turned off now.

really? I think the knee grabbing works the first time you ride, Comes as a shock. Would be in favour of other effects though, such as air blasts or scent machines. Thought there was plenty of smoke in the fracking section though when I did it, maybe it's been turned off now.

As you say it's fine the first time but once you know what happens it's more awkward than scary. I am waiting for someone with a knee injury to be grabbed or one of the staff members to trip and be sprawled across the laps of a few riders. I'm surprised the mirror hasn't run an article on people being touched up by staff at Thorpe Park :eek:

Can't find the spoiler tag on the mobile version so if you haven't been on don't read what's below.

How many train are there, I think there is 4 because as I'm on the first half I can hear screams from the train coming back, also when w are waiting for people to come off I can hear more screaming.

Can't find the spoiler tag on the mobile version so if you haven't been on don't read what's below.

How many train are there, I think there is 4 because as I'm on the first half I can hear screams from the train coming back, also when w are waiting for people to come off I can hear more screaming.
I don't know how many there are in total, but I know it normally runs three.

It doesn't feel that difficult to comprehend.
You board the train, it travels in a straight line to the second platform. You get off the train.
You return to the train after the faux crash. It returns down the same line to a mid point.
You then transfer onto a second track. The trains pass each other after this.
You return down the second track until it is in line with the Victorian carriage facade.
You slide back into the Victorian carriage facade on a second transfer track.