• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Some fascinating speculations on this ride.

Derren Brown, Victorian, Automatons, "Minds" etc.

That bloke knows how to create a set up and mess with your head, problem is, it doesn't affect everyone - and it would be something that's hard potentially to maintain an interest past the first experience.

That being said, as unlikely as it is, that's quite a unique idea & one I'd certainly look forward to experiencing!

Right up my street that!

It's not going to be anything more exciting than a three minute film split in to 30 second clips on different screens (with at least one randomised projector out of order each time you ride), that you trundle past in a glorified ghost train car. I highly doubt Mr Brown could work his mental voodoo on anyone -even the average Thorpe guest - under those circumstances.

From the shape of one of the structures I've seen I think it's just going to be a simulator similar to Sea Odyssey at PortAventura with a few gimicks attached.

It's not going to be anything more exciting than a three minute film split in to 30 second clips on different screens (with at least one randomised projector out of order each time you ride), that you trundle past in a glorified ghost train car. I highly doubt Mr Brown could work his mental voodoo on anyone -even the average Thorpe guest - under those circumstances.
If it was him it would most likely be one video introducing the ride and maybe a voiceover. That's not to say that on opening day they wouldn't have a special event of him actually messing with their minds.

From the shape of one of the structures I've seen I think it's just going to be a simulator similar to Sea Odyssey at PortAventura with a few gimicks attached.
£30million though? :/ even Merlin couldn't waste that much money on a simulator.

This will be a multi experience... experience.

(As a side note - I wish people would be a bit more respectful to the industry that you claims to love. You have no right to say some of these snide comments; no one knows what it is going to be. We should be happy that Merlin are investing their biggest ever sum on a dark ride and experience at Thorpe. Yes things go wrong sometimes and they're not as amazing as we had conceived in our own heads but I just wish the "fans" of this industry showed a bit more positivity at times - or at least wait until they've experienced something before complaining about it.)

This will be a multi experience... experience.

(As a side note - I wish people would be a bit more respectful to the industry that you claims to love. You have no right to say some of these snide comments; no one knows what it is going to be. We should be happy that Merlin are investing their biggest ever sum on a dark ride and experience at Thorpe. Yes things go wrong sometimes and they're not as amazing as we had conceived in our own heads but I just wish the "fans" of this industry showed a bit more positivity at times - or at least wait until they've experienced something before complaining about it.)

I agree. It's not that I feel any great debt to Merlin, and their dark ride history is chequered, but the 'satire' on here is pretty weak. and repetitive.

Incidentally, according to an anonymous source on TPM, the park have been conducting surveys about the ride and it's marketing potential. Said source, who could of course be talking poppycock, reckons the theme and IP is poorly chosen and could even be seen as 'offensive'. I hope Thorpe aren't going for another 'edgy' angle at this stage in the park's history.

Wonder what could be seen as offensive! Very intriguing.

£30 million, how can it possibly be bad?! Come on!

Early on in this thread, didn't we expect a war based game.

Gears of War and Call of Duty have both been bandied around at different stages, yes. Here's the report by the way - http://airgates.co.uk/2015/08/12/wc16-disappointing-and-offensive-says-thorpe-park-guinea-pig/

"He compared the level of offensiveness of the adverts with animal cruelty or Hitler, but stressed that he was not shown any adverts featuring either of these two examples." This is such a useless statement on every level.

I'm going to go for Derren on this one. It won't necessarily be called 'Derren Brown: Adventures In Your Mind', but he'll... host it? But I'm happy to be surprised, and hopefully not disappointed.

Last edited:
Could it be the smiler theme? The website fits and people could see it as offensive after the accident. And Thorpe have a history of stealing good Alton themes *cough nemesis inferno *cough