• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Out of interest, how do we think this could stack up to other hypers around the world based on the layout we have?

I've already heard some people declaring it "one of the best coasters in Europe", "one of the best coasters in the world", "unquestionably the UK's best coaster" and "better than any B&M Hyper apart from Fury"; praise indeed!
Well it's an interesting coaster and I don't think we'll be able to say for sure until we've ridden it. However to me it looks like Steel Curtain done properly. I liked the concept of Steel Curtain (although it was strange) and I think this could be a decently stacked hyper. Of course with it being so short I'm not sure it'll go that high in the rankings as it doesn't have the ability to be well rounded. I think it'll be a decent coaster and certainly one of the UK's best and most unique however not sure it'll be a world's top coaster.

I don't think we can compare it to traditional hypers, based on this concept art; it's 200ft but it's not a hyper in the sense of long, drawn out, floater airtime. If we don't consider it as such, we can judge the ride as it is, and not what we were predicting.

Out of interest, how do we think this could stack up to other hypers around the world based on the layout we have?

I've already heard some people declaring it "one of the best coasters in Europe", "one of the best coasters in the world", "unquestionably the UK's best coaster" and "better than any B&M Hyper apart from Fury"; praise indeed!

Erm, it's not built yet. Call me old fashioned but I like to ride things before deciding if they're any good.
I'm agreeing with you in reserving full judgement until I ride, but I was just intrigued to know what anyone's first thoughts were looking at the layout, as I was already hearing comparisons like those you quoted flying around on other sites.

I'd certainly be wary of judging this too rapidly; as much as I think it looks excellent, I remember that everyone instantaneously declared Icon "unquestionably the UK's best coaster and one of the best in Europe" when that was being built, and that one ended up disappointing a fair few people. I wouldn't want Exodus to face the same outcome.

On the flip side, many declared Wicker Man total rubbish at this stage and it ended up exceeding expectations for many, so I guess you really don't know until you ride!

I'd certainly be wary of judging this too rapidly; as much as I think it looks excellent, I remember that everyone instantaneously declared Icon "unquestionably the UK's best coaster and one of the best in Europe" when that was being built, and that one ended up disappointing a fair few people. I wouldn't want Exodus to face the same outcome.
!

I think what you need to remember is that a U.K. record breaking coaster has been announced and there’s going to be between 18 and 27 months between now and that coaster behind built with loads of people who are incredibly passionate about the industry discussing it. If it doesn’t get blown out of all proportion I’d be stunned.

I’d rather they landscaped the area to a high quality rather than an over the top theme. Please no more bare areas covered in wood chip.

It doesn’t have to be over the top to be good though. What I think we’re probably all agreed on is that nobody wants another horror theme, it doesn’t need (nor would it probably suit) a Wickerman style central structure, what it almost certainly does need in order to fit in with everything else in the park is an excellent theme which suits the ride which is actually something that Merlin, to their credit, have gotten gradually better at over the years.

To be honest, I'm not sure there will be too much theming here. Anything substantial (e.g. a big structure) would likely have been revealed in the consultation, and hypers don't usually tend to have too much theming beyond a basic style anyway.

Even if it is a darker theme, I don't think it'll be too on the nose or overtly dark.

My personal suspicion is that this might not have a dark theme. The colour scheme is apparently planned to be similar to Stealth, and I don't think white lends itself to a dark theme, personally.

I wouldn't like to be too conclusive, but I'm personally guessing some kind of space theme based on the project name of Project Exodus.

It doesn’t have to be over the top to be good though

This is very true. I feel like with Thorpe yes they have very well themed attractions like The Swarm, but the transitions in the park feels very tacky. This is why I would put more money and effort into landscaping over a heavy theme, personally.

I've got to admit, the more I see of this coaster, the more it grows on me; some of those elements look like they could ride excellently, and I think we could be in for something special here, even if it might not be an airtime machine per se!

This is very true. I feel like with Thorpe yes they have very well themed attractions like The Swarm, but the transitions in the park feels very tacky. This is why I would put more money and effort into landscaping over a heavy theme, personally.

Agree with this but for it to really have the desired effect they’d need to be doing it for the whole park (which they should be doing anyway).

For me, what they should be doing, is giving this coaster the theme it probably deserves whilst using it as an opportunity to give the rest of the park a spruce up (and in many areas it really does only need a spruce up) and open the park with a fresh look to welcome the U.K.’s highest coaster in what I assume will be 2024.

People have mentioned flat rides to accompany Exodus, I’m not convinced Thorpe really needs new flats, it just needs a bit of love and a serious plan to make it a more rounded park, sadly whilst Merlin do seem to be showing their pedigree in adding world class (or at least reasonable close to world class) coasters, they’ve simultaneously shown their lack of willing to making their parks a holistically brilliant experience which is what separates them from the likes of Europa.

So the long and the short of it is that this is pretty short. Alhough longer than Oblivion and Stealth. And to be fair, Wicker Man was criticised when people first saw the planning application, but it's now seen as one of the UK's better coasters.

Thorpe Park has quite a few coasters that fall into the category of 'fairly good, but not world class'. I think this will probably be another one of them.

Last edited:
The guy who originally predicted B&M hyper at Thorpe is now suggesting it might be the first RMC T-rex.
I think not for the reasons he mentioned in his own video but it's an interesting suggestion because the supports look quite odd and the drawings seem to have an odd rail design. Maybe this is done to cover up that it might be an RMC T-rex. I still think not but it's an interesting suggestion. Personally, I still think it's a Mack but I suppose it's something worth considering.

The guy who originally predicted B&M hyper at Thorpe is now suggesting it might be the first RMC T-rex.
I think not for the reasons he mentioned in his own video but it's an interesting suggestion because the supports look quite odd and the drawings seem to have an odd rail design. Maybe this is done to cover up that it might be an RMC T-rex. I still think not but it's an interesting suggestion. Personally, I still think it's a Mack but I suppose it's something worth considering.

That's a great video, but I wouldn't trust him. He predicts that it will open in 2023, but given the timeline states that construction should start in late 2022, a 2024 opening is more realistic. :p:)