• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Throughput Calculator

Hi, I wrote the app. If someone had an Apple App Store account and was feeling enthusiastic it should be easily portable to iOS, with some minimal changes (because it's done in Phonegap). I don't have an iPhone however so I would be a little concerned about getting it to look right!

UPDATE: The arbitrarily named Version 0.9 is out! Improved look, removed a weird bug when you pressed the menu key, and time is now presented in minutes and seconds (instead of "295 seconds").

I'd still be interested in porting it to Windows Phone, but since i'm the only WP user here it doesn't seem worthy of my time :p

Joelio said:
I'd still be interested in porting it to Windows Phone, but since i'm the only WP user here it doesn't seem worthy of my time :p
I'm not sure you are - Cheese certainly uses WP, and there must be others :p

It'd be great to have versions on Android iOS and Windows Phone! Contact Furby I guess for the stuff you need to port it over. :)

The latest version of the app should be on Google Play soon! I'm SO excited! :D

Keep your testimonials coming in about using the app on-park. How was it? What throughputs did you calculate? I'd love to know! :D

Joelio said:
Windows phone should be simple enough (again because it's made in Phonegap), unlike iOS where you have to get registered with Apple and pay a hefty sum... I can try and get you a version in the near future.

Fantastic work. As Mark said, I do indeed have a Windows Phone 7 device and I'd definitely be interested in a version of this for it!

One idea I've had is that we've all seen rides that dispatch trains at a snail's pace and with empty seats. How about a version that allows you to put in the number of empty seats just after dispatch (giving you time to count them) and then works out the average throughput the ride team are getting compared to the maximum they could get at that dispatch speed?

Name suggestion: "Throughput Calculator: Vampire Edition".

Joelio said:

I am also a Windows user, but mine is windows mobile 5.1.3, yes i know very old HTC.

Sam said:
The latest version of the app should be on Google Play soon!
Let us know when it is. I'm far too lazy to bother plugging my phone in to a PC. :p

I'd love the idea to expand this to allow you to select the ride, and then when you are finished calculating, you could submit the throughput report - hence over time you could crowdsource some interesting stats on whether the rides are getting better or worse at throughput.

I'd also like to see if throughput is worse on the days directly after staff nights out, but I think that might be a harder set of data to collect ;)

Jordan said:
I'd love the idea to expand this to allow you to select the ride, and then when you are finished calculating, you could submit the throughput report - hence over time you could crowdsource some interesting stats on whether the rides are getting better or worse at throughput.

I'd also like to see if throughput is worse on the days directly after staff nights out, but I think that might be a harder set of data to collect ;)

This is a great idea, compiling all of the data to find an average throughput over a season - and even being able to see how it differs as the season progresses. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard either - it would just involve including a feature to upload a certain value to a set database on the web. The database could then be managed by someone else, as having it automated would probably be too complex.

Cheese said:
Fantastic work. As Mark said, I do indeed have a Windows Phone 7 device and I'd definitely be interested in a version of this for it!

One idea I've had is that we've all seen rides that dispatch trains at a snail's pace and with empty seats. How about a version that allows you to put in the number of empty seats just after dispatch (giving you time to count them) and then works out the average throughput the ride team are getting compared to the maximum they could get at that dispatch speed?

Name suggestion: "Throughput Calculator: Vampire Edition".

Cool idea! I'll definitely get on with looking at a Windows Phone version and I'll have a think about empty seats (we're going for a list type thing eventually).

This sounds fun...

I love how much love this is generating! :D

I'm afraid there's been a slight delay in the Google Play début, due to me not having any internet at home for the next few days. As soon as I do, it'll be online. :)

Awesome! I've updated the original post. :)

Please if you have the original version of the app, delete it and re-download it through Google Play. It's a more recent version with better buttons, and it means you'll automatically be notified about app updates. :)

I got a mention on Screamscape today! :D

Screamscape said:
Internet Fun - (10/15/12) The next time your standing in a long attraction line and wondering just what kind of throughput it has, you can now figure it out if you’ve got an Android phone. Check out the free and very simple Throughput Calculator app at the Google Play store. All you have to do is punch in how many riders fit in each vehicle, and press a button each time the ride is dispatched to get an up to date calculation of the ride’s current throughput rate.

I tried this out at EP over the weekend. It seemed to work pretty well, though my maths skills are not good enough to say whether or not it was accurate :p

One thought that occured, it would be nice if you could store the results, so you could see the best and worst throughputs for a ride over the course of a day.

Building the iOS version now! Will post progress with apples review and will post link when I can!

[EDIT] - Update 1 - IT LIVES xD (Just ironing out the creases.)

Update 2 - Passed initial verification, uploading to apple for approval.