• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Titan Submersible Incident

I feel sorry for the wife/mother...
Risking your life in adventure is one thing...but wiping out son and heir in the process is another.
Poor buggers all of them, not a nice way to go.

I was reading something earlier that suggests the liklihood is as power drains the subs systems will be starting up and shutting down repeatedly. Each time it does it plays the intro to my heart will go on.

What a way to go!

Last edited:
Another theory is that they could have already ascended and are bobbing about waiting to be rescued. Probably even worse considering it can only be opened from the outside with drills.

I'm completely absorbed by this story. The ocean is fascinating. Good video below to show just how far down they are...

Whilst I must admit to enjoying the memes doing the rounds, I find it a bit weird that people seem to be celebrating the fact a billionaire is slowly suffocating to death just because he dared to do something adventurous.

I’d argue that adventurous is the wrong word, I’d use that word more for scuba diving, mountaineering or skydiving but this is an absolute death wish. No certification on the vessel and only limited amount of previous use. It’s obviously very sad what’s happened but was bound to happen one day. Murphy’s law springs to mind.

My number one rule in the unlikely event that I get rich is to avoid using helicopters and doing dodgy things like the above. Off the top of my head Kobe Bryant, the owner of Leicester FC and Colin McRae have died whilst travelling in helicopters in recent times. Give me a big chunky Volvo SUV and a nice safe driver instead.

I’d argue that adventurous is the wrong word, I’d use that word more for scuba diving, mountaineering or skydiving but this is an absolute death wish. No certification on the vessel and only limited amount of previous use. It’s obviously very sad what’s happened but was bound to happen one day. Murphy’s law springs to mind.
But if you have unlimited funds, the bucket list would be ticked off pretty quickly. Submarine deathtrap expedition the last resort for that adrenaline rush.

I'd take up wingsuit flying if I were a billionaire.

Far more wingsuit deaths than sub deaths though in recent years though.
Only covid slowed the death rate there.
One in 500 wingsuit flights results in death, so never do more than 499.
I’m surprised Matt Le Tissier isn’t on about this

This case also shows the danger of wild speculation. I was quite late to reading about it and there were already so many theories about the sub losing contact due to faulting gaming gear, or access panels that couldn't be opened.
When the simple truth was the obvious answer. They lost contact with the sub because something failed and it ceased to exist. The story was already over before anyone knew of it. for all the hope (and horror) that a crew could be stuck running out of oxygen under the sea it never was the case.

Poor fuckers.

What a crazy story. Curious to understand if the implosion was what instigated the whole thing or if that happened much later after being trapped for a while. Sounds like the banging may have been a red herring if the former.

Fairly good summary on the incompetence and arrogance of the company for even running this thing in the first place. Saw another old interview with the CEO who laughs off safety concerns and called it 'invulnerable'. Really was just to make money they had zero comprehension of the morals of the Titanic story. History has surreally repeated itself twice in the same spot.

From: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1671965549381689533?s=20