• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Titan Submersible Incident

The waiver mentioned a clear risk of death three times on the first page apparently.
With the obvious risks involved, and the original wealth of most of the deceased, I'm not sure there will be any claims at all.
Time to leave the Titanic wreck alone.

There is one thing though. The window port hole. Apparently it was rated for 1500m. The company that made the porthole refused to rate it for deeper depths. OceanGate also apparently refused to shell out the real cash needed for a window to reach 4000m.

If it could be proven the window was indeed rated for 1500m and the passengers knew nothing about it, they may have a case to rip up the waiver.

Providing of course it was proven it was the window that first failed and that the dead passengers did not know about the window issues. The latter being almost impossible to prove.

I think they will have a difficult time to sue. What are they suing for anyway? The families left behind are all stinking rich now I would have thought.

I learnt today too. That carbon fiber, you know, the bit that made up the majority of the pressure vessel that the crew sit in, does not cope well under compression......hmmm. Obviously that was not hidden. It was well documented. Seems bizarre to use a material that does not cope well under compression, in an environment that is going to put it under extreme compression.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope that we don't have to hear anything else about this now from the media. They went, they found, they didn't prosper. The search team found evidence that they have perished. We really don't need Sky News and the likes to be squeezing out stories about possible litigation and whatever else they can think of. Personally I find it very boring and the whole episode has now reached its conclusion, as far as I'm concerned. There are far more important or interesting stories for the media to concentrate on.
Apologies if you find this stuff interesting. No offence meant! 😆

Last edited:
Personally, I hope that we don't have to hear anything else about this now from the media. They went, they found, they didn't prosper. The search team found evidence that they have perished. We really don't need Sky News and the likes to be squuezing out stories about possible litigation and whatever else they can think of. Personally I find it very boring and the whole episode has now reached its conclusion, as far as I'm concerned. There are far more important or interesting stories for the media to concentrate on.

I agree with you there. But for me, my interest will dwindle when we find out exactly how the sub failed.

I don’t think this should by any means be the end of deep sea exploration. We’ve been to places much deeper than the titanic such as the Mariana Trench (less people have been down there than walked on the moon). The issue here was the sub itself, it is completely different to other deep sea submersibles! It has a carbon fibre body instead of titanium, the shape is completely different to allow for more than two/three people. There are a lot more safe and certified submersibles that are certified and tested at massive depths on a regular basis. this is a massive learning curve as to how we do things and not to do it in a tourism sense. We need more regulation on these submersibles! Currently there and almost non in international waters, and that has to change.

No point in even going down there when we have 4k cameras etc. Not like you can even touch anything when you get down there. The only benefit I can see to actually physically going down to places like that is to brag about it at fancy dinner parties or whatever.

I don’t think this should by any means be the end of deep sea exploration. We’ve been to places much deeper than the titanic such as the Mariana Trench (less people have been down there than walked on the moon). The issue here was the sub itself, it is completely different to other deep sea submersibles! It has a carbon fibre body instead of titanium, the shape is completely different to allow for more than two/three people. There are a lot more safe and certified submersibles that are certified and tested at massive depths on a regular basis. this is a massive learning curve as to how we do things and not to do it in a tourism sense. We need more regulation on these submersibles! Currently there and almost non in international waters, and that has to change.

Also most deep-sea ones now are remotely operated robots now, with improvements in camera technology there is little need to send actual humans down.

Personally, I hope that we don't have to hear anything else about this now from the media. They went, they found, they didn't prosper. The search team found evidence that they have perished. We really don't need Sky News and the likes to be squuezing out stories about possible litigation and whatever else they can think of. Personally I find it very boring and the whole episode has now reached its conclusion, as far as I'm concerned. There are far more important or interesting stories for the media to concentrate on.
You're not looking forward to the 27 episode long netflix series then? 😂

It has gained so much traction in the UK as the right wing media have been using the story so they can avoid putting domestic political news (Johnson, Inflation etc) on the front pages.

It was obviously a story and would have got coverage anyway but if you ever think a story seems to be getting above normal levels of coverage go look and see what story’s are getting buried.

Personally, I hope that we don't have to hear anything else about this now from the media. They went, they found, they didn't prosper. The search team found evidence that they have perished. We really don't need Sky News and the likes to be squeezing out stories about possible litigation and whatever else they can think of. Personally I find it very boring and the whole episode has now reached its conclusion, as far as I'm concerned. There are far more important or interesting stories for the media to concentrate on.
Funny isn't it?
Just a week or so ago, one hundred times as many people died in another tragic maritime incident off the coast of Greece.
Didn't make a hundredth of the media attention this "expedition for the very rich" did.
Every life is special.
Sometimes some are more special than others though.
The rich five knew exactly what risks they were undertaking.

The commentary around Stockton Rush is quite interesting, a lot of it suggests that he was told by lots of people and organsations that the craft was unsafe and the evidence would suggest that was perhaps correct ... but much of it is presented as if he wasn't in the thing and wasn't dead. Some of it is presented as if he was sat on the surface and had sent five people to their graves and pocketed the cash.

Curious to understand if those involved in the rescue effort were aware that the US had some awareness of a probable implosion from the get go.

The whole thing is crazy.

No, and nor should they have done. As they have said, that noise alone was not conclusive and the search effort would have been distracted and hindered by that information.
I was thinking more from the perspective that the location of said noise might have been a good place to start looking before the banging that probably wasn't banging was heard.

I was thinking more from the perspective that the location of said noise might have been a good place to start looking before the banging that probably wasn't banging was heard.

Ah, I see. As it came from and was found exactly where it was supposed to be I think that site was a given anyway.

Last edited:
They did say, the US navy picked up sounds from sonar in the general area, around the time the sub lost communications, that were consistent with an implosion or explosion. But as @pluk pointed out. They were not conclusive.

Only when they found the debris did they realise that it infact probably was the sub.

So many questions get raised though. Stockton obviously thought his sub was really good, else he would not have been in it himself. Yet the sub would never have got certified by industry bodies in part because of the carbon fiber pressure vessel, a terrible choice of material for a deep dive sub and the window, which was rated for 1500m, not the 3800m that the Titanic lies at. It seems like Stockton was in a delusion himself. Believing things like this could be done easily, cheap and by general skilled people, not experts. This comes across in the design, planning and execution of the sub.

With that in mind, there were some experts onboard, specifically the French pilot, who was very acomplished in the world of deep sea diving. Why was he not alarmed with the carbon fiber material choice and the huge concerns raised by the industry. If anyone on board should have understood and respected these things, it would have been him. But it went missed. The window may not have been known about, the carbon fiber choice most certainly was, as it is stated in many promotional videos, including on OceanGates website.

An interesting fact I saw. The sub would have taken approximately 1ms to implode, at a speed of approximately 1500mph. The human brain takes 25ms to acknowledge a stimulus. 125ms at a minimum to react. So these guys would not have even know what had happened before it was even over. There is a chance that the rapid compression of the gasses inside the pressure vessel would have ignited too. Due to the pressure it would have been a very short and sharp blast furnace on steroids. Incinirating them in a tiny, tiny fraction of time.