• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

The worrying thing about these updates is that having not been for a few years the main takeaway I get from the pictures is just how bad a state the park had got into before action was taken. I know I’ve made this point before but with every new photo the feeling comes back. I now can’t help but think that if the standards had never been allowed to slip the people that had to work hard to restore the old could have instead been finding ways to improve it.
And the money being used to refurbish them could have been used for other things.

The worrying thing about these updates is that having not been for a few years the main takeaway I get from the pictures is just how bad a state the park had got into before action was taken. I know I’ve made this point before but with every new photo the feeling comes back. I now can’t help but think that if the standards had never been allowed to slip the people that had to work hard to restore the old could have instead been finding ways to improve it.

I’m in the same boat as you for various reasons I haven’t made it to the park since June 16 - it was shocking then so much be filthy now - it’s only when you see it in Picture you realise how bad things are

And the money being used to refurbish them could have been used for other things.

Exactly, the management allowed all this to happen because the money was rolling in and the enjoyment of the park hid what a state the place was in but then the Smiler incident happened and the place was under the spotlight. People noticed amongst all the things closed that actually the park was extremely neglected and wasn’t such a great place that it once was.

Then of course the TLC campaign started up to show we’ve listened and are making things right, Wayne has been great giving us a glimpse into what’s happening but in all honesty the place should never have got to the state it was in.

Forgive me if I have got it wrong, but had they not allowed things to get into that state in the first place. It still would have cost money to keep them maintained every year. Just smaller amounts more frequently, where as now it arguably costs a bigger but less frequent lump sum to refurbish them.

The stuff still needs maintaining regardless, in order to not get into a state. This still costs money, money that could not have been used else where, because had it not got into that state, they would have spent money to ensure it doesn't get into that state.

either way they have put a plan of action in place and the park is looking more up to date. The Nemesis repaint looks great and they are putting in the work that was needed on duel.

They could have very easily left it and just powerwash it every year.

Reactions: pj
either way they have put a plan of action in place and the park is looking more up to date. The Nemesis repaint looks great and they are putting in the work that was needed on duel.

They could have very easily left it and just powerwash it every year.

Arguably this should be the absolute minimum thing they should be doing anyway...

Surely it would of been cheaper if they'd have done it on a low but frequent level- i.e fixing electric motors, galvanizing metal structures, replacing wires ... so and and so forth. What they've done here is let things get in such a state that complete overhauls and retrofits are required. I think the board knew that more inaction in the future would of spiked average costs at some point or another/harmed their dividends, hence the size of the budget given to TLC. Of course, if they cared more about the park there wouldn't be a "three year experience improvement scheme" tagline attached... *sigh* Nothing against the TLC guys themselves though, they are enthusiasts who want the best for the park just like us and what they've done with the Nemesis creature has been awesome

I do think Towers could do more than they do now, but equally this is a step in the right direction. Keeping stuff looking new in our climate is hard. BPB have it hardest it's probably fair to say.

This programme of work isn't massively different to what they have done previously, it's just a more formal way of reporting it and bringing attention to it.

I wouldn’t say plain, that sign is just sorta classy understated. Turn the corner and there is a corkscrew in the plaza and once through the turnstiles you get the bright colours of Towers Street.
I quite like the idea of not seeing the fantastical™️ bright themed parts until after you are through the turnstiles.

It sticks with me that at Disney’s Magic Kingdom there is a plaque above the tunnel entrance as you walk under the railway tracks and out into Town square / Main Street. It reads “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy”.
AT doesn’t have quite the same themed lands but the escape should still happen once you enter those gates. Who cares if the look before the turnstiles is more understated as long as it is clean, well presented and in good condition.

I know there's a ton of debate about whether TLC are refurbing in the "correct" way or not... but I'm just one of those who's delighted something's being done. Definitely wasn't expecting the ride cars to be done. Excellent effort.

Did you see Tomb Blaster after its 2016 redo though?

Whole new lighting, whole new audio system, new paintwork, it was still 'an improvement' on what it was like before, but it was atrocious – guests react accordingly.

I'm also very happy that after so long Duel is having a project to improve it, it's a fantastic opportunity.
But this is one of the biggest and most complicated dark rides in the country for this kind of thing. It's still the most reliant dark ride in the UK for audio, animation & lighting, and could be amazing if done well.

It sounds frivolous and finnicky to some on here (I dont know why, this theatrical stuff is enormous fun when it's done creatively!). But there is a whole field of real expertise that goes behind this kind of thing. It would make every guest's ride far more fun & memorable, without them even noticing the lighting or audio in particular (you're not meant to). I'm sure Alton Towers understand this.

Duel is in such a state for the very reason that all previous projects to relight & maintain the ride have been so DIY. Also, UV could be excellent if used in the right way, but those pictures still don't fill me with confidence with the horrible 'purple glow' look.

Just a case of waiting and seeing their final result, here's hoping!

I really hope the UV is only that bright because they are painting it. If it stays at those levels it’ll look horrendous.

As I think I’ve said before I’ve swapped out an old UV Tube with an LED fitting, but I had to drastically dim it before it looked good.

Can you get standalone woods glass filters? Or do they not work with LEDs? Maybe they're using the bright purple to see better but then they're going to dim it with filters later

They are very hard to come by these days. Expect to see Lee Congo Blue at best.

I really hope the UV is only that bright because they are painting it. If it stays at those levels it’ll look horrendous.

As I think I’ve said before I’ve swapped out an old UV Tube with an LED fitting, but I had to drastically dim it before it looked good.

It's likely a lot brighter in real life than these photos. Camera's don't see so well in the dark. Unless those people are doing a mannequin challenge for the long exposure lol.

The problem with those LED's is not brightness, it's the wavelength. A proper black light tube will emit UV at around 350nm - 365nm wavelength - which is zero visibile light. That's what makes things glow and any surface painted black will simply be invisible.

LED's can't go down this low in wavelength, at least without considerable high cost. The standard LED UV units on the market generally emit at a wavelength of around 400nm to 420nm, which does include visible light - a very deep shade of blue, and that will ruin any optical illusion which relies on UV effects.

This is why everything in the photos is so brightly lit. They are using LED's. :)

Would look good in an amusement park, but doesn't suit Alton Towers at all. Far too plain. The whole entrance needs to be bulldozed and started from scratch.

I actually quite like it! It's simple but effective! And I love the blue that they've repainted the building! Keep it up Alton!