• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

Here is my submission for Round 6

Intamin mega coaster
Height - 164ft
Length - 4305ft
Top speed - 67ft
Duration - 116s
Airtime moments - 12
Inversion - 1
Max Vertical G - 4.7g
Min Vertical G - 1.88g

Great submission @Connor98! Your ride is well paced and looks to have lots of really fun airtime moments!

In terms of the rest of you; I absolutely appreciate that Christmas is a busy time of year, and I never expect everyone to submit a submission for every round. Don’t worry if you do need to miss a few for whatever reason. I was only reiterating that the option for a deadline extension is there if you would ever like it.

Mack are in the mud. Disney have just found out about Europa Park's cut and paste Epcot ball and despite the Moulin Rouge retheme, they have taken legal action and Mack have filed for bankruptcy.

Fellow Germans Gerstlaurer have purchased the park and have built a bigger and badder version of Karnan.

Name: Baden Karnan
Type: Gerst Infinity
Speed: 93mph
Drop: 302ft
Inversions: 12

Starts with an indoor drop, second half features a 90 mph launch into a top hat.

Mack are in the mud. Disney have just found out about Europa Park's cut and paste Epcot ball and despite the Moulin Rouge retheme, they have taken legal action and Mack have filed for bankruptcy.

Fellow Germans Gerstlaurer have purchased the park and have built a bigger and badder version of Karnan.

Name: Baden Karnan
Type: Gerst Infinity
Speed: 93mph
Drop: 302ft
Inversions: 12

Starts with an indoor drop, second half features a 90 mph launch into a top hat.

Very nice submission @RicketyCricket! You've got some cracking custom inversions in there, and there is some surprising airtime also!

Europa Park's answer to the English, Brexit: Die Fahrt! Featuring the twists, turns and craziness of UK politics. Queue line Animatronics would include a Boris Johnson hanging from a zip wire and Nigel Farage having a pint with chants of "country's full, go back to where you came from!"playing throughout alongside a sinister and distorted rendition of Rule Britannia.

Still some ironing out to do but I did this at the 11th hour. All the inversions are custom though, 2 of them I'm rather proud of actually.

Runs 4 trains of 20 riders (because it's Europa Park). Despatches a train every 40 seconds.

Name: Brexit: Die Fahrt!
Max G: 4.99g
Min G: -2.39g
Inversions: 5
Airtime count: 7

Europa Park's answer to the English, Brexit: Die Fahrt! Featuring the twists, turns and craziness of UK politics. Queue line Animatronics would include a Boris Johnson hanging from a zip wire and Nigel Farage having a pint with chants of "country's full, go back to where you came from!"playing throughout alongside a sinister and distorted rendition of Rule Britannia.

Still some ironing out to do but I did this at the 11th hour. All the inversions are custom though, 2 of them I'm rather proud of actually.

Runs 4 trains of 20 riders (because it's Europa Park). Despatches a train every 40 seconds.

Name: Brexit: Die Fahrt!
Max G: 4.99g
Min G: -2.39g
Inversions: 5
Airtime count: 7

Excellent submission @Matt.GC; your ride is incredibly smooth, and has some excellent custom inversions and airtime pops!

Now....things may have gotten out of hand even for me. For example...here's a view from the station of my attempt this week

1671226722882.png

This is a bit unpolished as I am absolutely knackered but enjoy whatever the war crimes I have committed.

12177ft of 132mph, 554 ft drop, 18 inversion insanity. Should also get nearly 2000pph. The men in white coats have arrived for me I fear.

1671226799928.png

1671226830458.png

Now....things may have gotten out of hand even for me. For example...here's a view from the station of my attempt this week

1671226722882.png

This is a bit unpolished as I am absolutely knackered but enjoy whatever the war crimes I have committed.

12177ft of 132mph, 554 ft drop, 18 inversion insanity. Should also get nearly 2000pph. The men in white coats have arrived for me I fear.

1671226799928.png

1671226830458.png

Wow @Poisson... that submission is quite something! The scale is nothing short of obscene, but you've still managed to keep your ride very smooth, for the most part!

Weekly Digest for Week 7 (17th-23rd December 2022)
OK, everybody; we now begin Week 7 of the competition! There are three key points to cover this week, so let's get straight to it!
Round 5 Results
After a week of voting, Round 5's results are now in! I can confirm that I got 4 responses in the Google Form, and the winners of Round 5 are as follows:
The leaderboard for Round 5 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Matt.GC1320
2@Connor981310
3@Poisson903
4@Archermav900
5@RicketyCricket700
6@Matt N500
7@Thameslink Rail411
8@Burbs000
9@immelmanloop000
10@JAperson000
11@MaxPower000
12@mo237000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Archermav7990
2@Matt.GC7750
3@Connor987060
4@Poisson6705
5@Matt N5530
6@RicketyCricket5323
7@Burbs4808
8@Thameslink Rail4229
9@immelmanloop910
10@JAperson000
11@MaxPower000
12@mo237000
Great round, everybody! Now let's move onto Round 6 voting...
Round 6 Voting
We have finished the building stage for Round 6, therefore the voting stage must now begin!

Please vote for your Round 6 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScgDvOye_jhvV98bjXB9kVETHDYr9pyJL6iekbjPgMvqG6B8g/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder.
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here are the submissions from Round 6 so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Excalibur, a Mack Rides XTREME Spinning Coaster by @Matt N:
  • Unnamed Intamin Mega Coaster by @Connor98:
  • Baden Karnan, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • Brexit: Die Fahrt!, a Mack Rides Mega Coaster by @Matt.GC:
  • Unnamed B&M Inverted Coaster by @Poisson:
  • Brexit: The Ride, a B&M Dive Coaster by @Thameslink Rail:

Voting for Round 6 will close on Friday 23rd December 2022 at 11:59pm.

Now let's move onto Round 7, shall we?
Round 7 Building Stage
Now that Round 6 is finished, I think we need a new round! With that in mind, it's time for me to reveal Round 7! The Round 7 brief is... Seuss Landing Family Coaster at Islands of Adventure! The context for this round is as follows:
Islands of Adventure may recently have received two huge coaster heavyweights in the form of VelociCoaster and Hagrid's, but Universal still feels that there is one coaster void conspicuously unfilled within the park... a family coaster for Seuss Landing! The park's family area has never contained its own family coaster, but Universal finally wants to change this, and they've picked you to spearhead the project! The area on offer is compact, and the ride obviously can't be too thrilling seeing as it's destined for Seuss Landing, but other than that, the sky's the limit! What family coaster will you concoct for Seuss Landing?

The round constraints are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 262ft*167ft/80m*51m
  • Maximum Height 66ft/20m
  • Maximum Speed 50mph/80kph
For some idea, this is the area of Islands of Adventure we're working within (it's circled in black and marked "IOA Family Coaster"):
IOA-Seuss-Landing-Family-Coaster-Plot.png

I would recommend using Scenario Editor to apply the footprint constraints if you are on PC. As per usual, I have created a Steam Workshop park with the constraints applied that I would be happy for you to download if you struggle to design a scenario yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2899984764

As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 7 submission deadline is Friday 23rd December 2022 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

So, that's everything for Week 7! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 7 and voting for Round 6, folks!

I also have a Round 7 submission ready... and it appears that @Connor98 and I may have had very similar ideas! Say hello to The Lorax, a GCI family wooden coaster:
The-Lorax-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: The Lorax
  • Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
  • Model: Wooden Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 54ft/16m
  • Speed: 38mph/61kph
  • Length: 1,620ft/494m
  • Inversions: 0
  • Airtime Moments: 5
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 2.9G (overall and heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.6G (overall), N/A (heatmap)
  • Trains: 2 trains with 8 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,024pph (64 trains per hour, 1 train every ~56s)
The ride is named after the Dr Seuss book of the same name, and it is painted orange to replicate the Lorax's colour.

If you'd like to play with The Lorax for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link for you to download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2902977663

So, that's The Lorax, my Round 7 submission! I hope you guys like it!