• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

OK then, folks; now you've all signed up and had a little time to settle in, it's time for the first round of the competition! Your brief for this round is... Project Amazon Reloaded at Chessington World of Adventures! Your context is as follows:
When Project Amazon was announced at Chessington last year, many were unhappy about the concept. "It's so short!" they said. "The capacity is going to be terrible!" they said. "A shuttle coaster? How uninspiring!" they said. Enthusiasts have criticised the project a lot, and many have inferred that they could build something way better. But if you think you could better Chessington's own efforts; why not show us? Why don't you show us what better Project Amazon you could have concocted within a similar brief? The park has expressed a desire to provide a more thrilling ride experience than their current rides, so you probably need that all-important thrilling edge that the current Amazon proposal has, but you can't go too tall either... the current ride is probably about as tall as they could go, what with their tree line height limits. What ride will you concoct for Chessington?
Your constraints are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint of 108m*96m (354ft*315ft)
  • Maximum Height of 82ft (25m)
  • Minimum Speed of 40mph (64kph)
  • Must Contain At Least 1 Inversion.
For some idea, the area highlighted in black and labelled "Amazon" is the area of Chessington you are working with, in case that wasn't clear. It's the site that the World of Jumanji is currently being built upon:
Project-Amazon-Plot.png

To apply the footprint and height constraints, I would recommend using Scenario Editor to make yourself a map that follows the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have also made a Steam Workshop park template with the constraints pre-imposed: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884015424

As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline is Friday 11th November 2022 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

That's about all I need to cover, really. Good luck with the first round! If you have any questions or concerns about the round, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building, everybody!

Is the result judged on supports? because some of the supports are turning out.... Interestingly.

Is the result judged on supports? because some of the supports are turning out.... Interestingly.
What do you mean, out of interest? Would you mind explaining a little further, as I’ll admit I’m not 100% sure on what you’re asking?

Sorry to double post, folks, but I have a submission ready! Say hello to Explorer, a Mack launch coaster:
Explorer-Entrance.png

Explorer-Layout-Overview.png

Here's a POV and some cinematic shots as well:

In terms of the stats, they are as follows:
  • Name: Explorer
  • Manufacturer: Mack Rides
  • Model: Launch Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 80ft/24m
  • Speed: 55mph/89kph
  • Length: 3,076ft/938m
  • Inversions: 2 (Inline Twist, Cutback)
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.6G
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.6G
  • Trains: 3 trains with 6 cars/24 riders
  • Throughput: 1,731pph (a train every ~50s... although for this to be accurate in real life, you'll need to use your imagination and pretend there's a Blue Fire-style separate offload)
If any of you would like to play with Explorer yourselves, here's a Steam Workshop link to it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884819509

So, I hope you all like Explorer! I don't know about any of you, but I personally found this round harder than expected... it's not a huge area, and you forget how short 82ft actually is when you're trying to build a thrill coaster.

I'm working from tomorrow for the rest of the week so I thought I'd get mine done tonight.

Presenting The Rock Vs RAP. Fed up with Chessingtons appalling queues, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson went in to Merlin HQ and threatened to tombstone the Merlin board unless they abandoned their plans for a woefully inadequately low throughput shuttle coaster. That night, the Merlin board where visited by 3 ghosts; Kirsten Dunst when she was 12 (the ghost of RAP queues past), a 1990's CGI monkey (the ghost of RAP queues present) and Robin Williams himself (the ghost of RAP queues yet to come). Seeing the error of their ways, they decided to build a thrilling wing coaster instead, full circuit and running 2 trains of 32 riders.

I tried to make it thrilling whilst still retaining the launch, the inversion above the entrance plaza and the helix around the tiger theming structure (you'll just have to imagine it's there, sorry). I even put a boring plain tarmac path outside the area to mimic Chessingtons real life new dull entrance plaza. Not that any of that matters but I got carried away.....

It actually doesn't use all of the area allowed. Such a small area does lend itself to some nice and intense helixes and turns. I tried to get the shape of the area as close to the plans as possible.

Max speed - 53mph
Height - 21 mtrs
Inversions - 3
Airtime count - 4

Last edited:
I'm working from tomorrow for the rest of the week so I thought I'd get mine done tonight.

Presenting The Rock Vs RAP. Fed up with Chessingtons appalling queues, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson went in to Merlin HQ and threatened to tombstone the Merlin board unless they abandoned their plans for a woefully inadequately low throughput shuttle coaster. That night, the Merlin board where visited by 3 ghosts; Kirsten Dunst when she was 12 (the ghost of RAP queues past), a 1990's CGI monkey (the ghost of RAP queues present) and Robin Williams himself (the ghost of RAP queues yet to come). Seeing the error of their ways, they decided to build a thrilling wing coaster instead, full circuit and running 2 trains of 32 riders.

I tried to make it thrilling whilst still retaining the launch, the inversion above the entrance plaza and the helix around the tiger theming structure (you'll just have to imagine it's there, sorry). I even put a boring plain tarmac path outside the area the mimic Chessingtons real life new dull entrance plaza. Not that any of that matters but I got carried away.....

It actually doesn't use all of the area allowed. Such a small area does lend itself to some nice and intense helixes and turns. I tried to get the shape of the area as close to the plans as possible.

Max speed - 53mph
Height - 21 mtrs
Inversions - 3
Airtime count - 4

Great submission @Matt.GC! It has some nice intense helixes, and it also has surprising airtime for a Wing Coaster!

Did you mention somewhere @Matt N that we were to send you our submissions in a PM rather than posting here, so as not to be swayed by other players' ideas, or am I making that up?

Did you mention somewhere @Matt N that we were to send you our submissions in a PM rather than posting here, so as not to be swayed by other players' ideas, or am I making that up?
I never once mentioned that; I assure you that the submission process is exactly the same as it was last year. Just post in this thread like you did last year, and all will be fine and dandy!

I did mention that you can PM me if you have trouble uploading videos to YouTube and need or want me to do it for you, so I can admittedly see where the confusion may have come from, but for clarity, please post your submission in this thread, if you wouldn't mind.

Sorry to double post, folks, but I have a submission ready! Say hello to Explorer, a Mack launch coaster:
Explorer-Entrance.png

Explorer-Layout-Overview.png

Here's a POV and some cinematic shots as well:

In terms of the stats, they are as follows:
  • Name: Explorer
  • Manufacturer: Mack Rides
  • Model: Launch Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 80ft/24m
  • Speed: 55mph/89kph
  • Length: 3,076ft/938m
  • Inversions: 2 (Inline Twist, Cutback)
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.6G
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.6G
  • Trains: 3 trains with 6 cars/24 riders
  • Throughput: 1,731pph (a train every ~50s... although for this to be accurate in real life, you'll need to use your imagination and pretend there's a Blue Fire-style separate offload)
If any of you would like to play with Explorer yourselves, here's a Steam Workshop link to it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884819509

So, I hope you all like Explorer! I don't know about any of you, but I personally found this round harder than expected... it's not a huge area, and you forget how short 82ft actually is when you're trying to build a thrill coaster.
How many airtime moments Matt? It looks packed with them. I like the low to the ground section in particular. It certainly makes the area look quite big when you put a Mack in there.

How many airtime moments Matt? It looks packed with them. I like the low to the ground section in particular. It certainly makes the area look quite big when you put a Mack in there.
The game says only 3, but it seems to have more moments of negative g than that, so I’m not 100% sure.

Thank you for your kind comments; I’m glad you like it!

Here's mine!

Amazon.png

Type: B&M Launched Wing Coaster (with S&S Free Fly trains)
Length: 2653ft
Height: 84ft
Top speed: 50mph
Inversions: 3
Airtime moments: 2 (according to PlanCo)
Theoretical Throughput: 631pph (seems about right for Chessington!)

Nice work @Burbs! A Wing Coaster with Free Fly trains is certainly a novel response to the brief, and I think you've pulled it off really well, on the whole!

OK, everybody; I just thought I’d remind you that we are now over halfway through the building stage of round 1. You have about 2.5 days remaining until the deadline.

I have seen 4 submissions so far out of a potential 12 participants, so 1/3 of competitors have submitted so far. There’s still plenty of time (the deadline is 11:59pm on Friday 11th November), but if you think you will need more time, please inform me prior to the deadline so that I can extend the deadline accordingly. If you do not get into contact with me either in this thread or via PM to request a deadline extension, I will assume that you’re OK forfeiting this round and move on.

I apologise, as I know that’s a little stricter than last year, but I know that some have indicated they may not be able to do every round this contest, and I also think that the way in which I have scheduled things this time leaves me less room to be going around badgering people to ask them if they’re submitting once a deadline has passed. Therefore, I thought it might make things run a little more smoothly if you requested deadline extensions yourselves if needed.