• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

Oh wow, a lot’s happened in here since I last tapped in a couple of days ago!

Let me address each thing in turn.
Since the world has moved on in the 7 or so years I've been around these parts, I've decided that it would be best I didn't outstay my welcome on this forum - upsetting people when I should be admitting I'm past my sell by date so I'm going to bid everyone a farewell.

Thanks once again @Matt N for hosting such a brilliant contest. I may lurk around in the back ground from time to time without commenting, and if get the time I may jump back in just for this competition in the future if I get the time and everyone is OK with that? But for now, I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread and the last one as both have genuinely been enjoyable and these threads have a had a great atmosphere that's felt different to the rest of the forum.

For what it's worth now, I did get 90% the way through creating a submission for the last round and uploaded it on Friday. I thought it would be a waste to spend a few hours on it and not post it anyway. So here is what I would have submitted. WD40: Reborn. Of course it has black track, purple benches, fences and bins everywhere (even the monorail!), is within a new themed area called "Dingy Woodland" where there are haunted trees, and involves a "secret sinsiter organisation" discovering cursed WD40 cans that rose from the earth during "routine excavations".

I wish you all well and I hope you all continue the creativity seen so far. It's been a blast and good luck to you all for the rest of challenge. Best wishes to all of you. M

@Matt.GC I obviously can’t speak for anyone else, but I certainly don’t think you’re “past your sell by date”; there’s still a place for you on this forum, in my view. You and I may not always see eye to eye with each other, but you’re a great poster and I think your contributions add a lot to this forum. I’d certainly be very happy if you stayed around on here, and at very least, your contributions and support to my Speed Build Contests are always greatly appreciated.

If you personally feel that you need to step away from TS for whatever reason, then that’s fair enough and I wish you all the best. However, I don’t want you to feel like you’re not welcome here or like you need to exit because we’ve had enough of you or whatever, because you are always welcome here and your contributions are greatly valued, in my opinion.

Your submission is also excellent, and I think it’s a shame that you were unable to submit it; I would happily have granted you a deadline extension had you asked for one. It looks like a great ride; it’s really long, and it has some awesome airtime moments and interesting-looking custom(?) inversions!
Here is my submission for round 16

Gerstlauer Eurofighter
Height - 80ft
Length - 1536ft
Top speed - 49mph
inversions - 5
Airtime moments - 3

From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxr6gJl2fs&ab_channel=ConnorSheridan

Great submission @Connor98! Your ride looks like great fun, with some fun-looking inversions!

I only posted in this thread because the submissions would suddenly disappear and I spent ages doing that last one so thought it would be a shame to not post it.

It's self reflection really. I'm getting cranky and being rude to people on here, at work and within my own family. I have 3 beautiful children I don't spend enough time with, family members passing away around me, I'm drinking too much and it's all getting a bit much. I'm also starting a Degree Apprenticeship in May alongside my job so it's a busy and emotional time. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for all your kind comments though. I've been up since 3:30am because my dear grandmother looks like she won't last the day and I'll spending this afternoon taking various siblings in to Southmead to see her. So your kind comments when I got the thread notification do mean a lot me. Thank you.

I only posted in this thread because the submissions would suddenly disappear and I spent ages doing that last one so thought it would be a shame to not post it.

It's self reflection really. I'm getting cranky and being rude to people on here, at work and within my own family. I have 3 beautiful children I don't spend enough time with, family members passing away around me, I'm drinking too much and it's all getting a bit much. I'm also starting a Degree Apprenticeship in May alongside my job so it's a busy and emotional time. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for all your kind comments though. I've been up since 3:30am because my dear grandmother looks like she won't last the day and I'll spending this afternoon taking various siblings in to Southmead to see her. So your kind comments when I got the thread notification do mean a lot me. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time at the moment. Please know that I'm always here via PM if you ever need someone to chat to, and I'm sure that I speak for everyone on here when I say that I'm right behind you if you ever want to come back. Your contributions on here are valued, and I for one always want you (and everyone else!) to feel welcome around here.

On a side note, I realise that I posted my previous post in this thread too soon and completely missed two other Round 16 submissions from @RicketyCricket and @Poisson... I sincerely apologise for my error. I'm currently using 4G on a train, so I can't watch them right now, but I will watch and leave comments later!

So you only post once in a while, same tripe, less often, you still get distant support from your penpals, and Rob is more than happy to give you free mentor support as a real world working ex mature student with lots of qualifications and academic/work experience.
Edit...cranky and rude just come with age, you can recognise it, which is good, so you just have to learn to twist your goolies in your pocket until it starts to look like a smile.

I'd recommend a stiff drink before watching mine and @RicketyCricket entries this week
Even from the photos, I can already tell that both look like absolutely insane contraptions!

I honestly had concerns that this round would be a bit too hard for people, but it appears that I’ve been proven wrong in epic fashion given that 500ft coasters are on the table… I’m very impressed!

Even from the photos, I can already tell that both look like absolutely insane contraptions!

I honestly had concerns that this round would be a bit too hard for people, but it appears that I’ve been proven wrong in epic fashion given that 500ft coasters are on the table… I’m very impressed!
It's not that it's too hard, but creativity is limited in smaller spaces. I'm fully behind the @Poisson method now with these rounds.

Not gonna win any realism points but Eyesore was great fun to build.

That's my aim, I try for fun lunacy. I get bored of being realistic too easily but all the coasters I build a theoretically possible to do. Flamingo could use the design I did (obviously properly designed in real software) as it's set to not murderise people.

Except the RMC Wacky Worm. That's 100% realistic and I'm open for a job RMC if you're looking.

So a small plot needs a compact coaster. Naturally I have decided to build a wing coaster because I need help.

1676835583484.png

1676835614666.png

It gets 1700pph but being at Flamingo Land it's more like 1.7pph. 4260ft long and goes 62mph.

Great submission @Poisson! Your ride gets a lot out of the area, and it has some fun-looking inversions!
Farewell @Matt.GC . Always enjoyed your submissions mate.

I've created a monster. Based on the mythical Polercoaster planned for Orlando.

Name: Eyesore
Model: Gerstlauer Infinity
World record height - 535ft
World record Inversions- 25
Length - 1072ft
Speed - 75mph

Managed to keep the forces reasonable with a 4.72 intensity rating.

Ride it while you can because it will probably topple over if theres a slight gust of wind.

And it's pink, because why not?

Awesome submission @RicketyCricket! Your ride is absolutely obscene in scale, and it has some rather unique inversions and transitions in there!

Just as a reminder, we’re now over half way through Week 16.

I’ve only had 1 response to the Round 15 Voting Google Form so far, and that is my own. If you’d like to vote for your Round 15 favourites, here’s the form allowing you to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc9eEpsi4iGf5QTb5h-qqFI3vJ7Ehen9tAqgNHdd8KfNQBClw/viewform

There have been 4 submissions for Round 16 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 16, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

Week 17 Weekly Digest (25th February-3rd March 2023)
OK, everybody; Week 17 is now here! As per usual, I have 3 things to get through this week, so let's get straight to it!
Round 15 Results
After a week of voting, Round 15's results are now in! I can confirm that I got 3 responses in the Google Form, and the winners of Round 14 are as follows:
The leaderboard for Round 15 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Poisson1101
2@Connor981020
3@RicketyCricket1001
4@Matt N700
5@Thameslink Rail500
6@Matt.GC000
7@mo237000
8@Archermav000
9@Burbs000
10@immelmanloop000
11@JAperson000
12@MaxPower000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Connor98215223
2@Matt.GC171141
3@Matt N16091
4@RicketyCricket15588
5@Poisson154119
6@Thameslink Rail129319
7@Archermav118101
8@Burbs4808
9@mo2374112
10@immelmanloop910
11@JAperson000
12@MaxPower000
Great round, everybody! Now let's move onto Round 16 voting...
Round 16 Voting
Our Round 16 submissions are ready and built. Therefore, the voting stage must now begin!

Please vote for your Round 16 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWwP3Jpn0dqDyOVSr8wDLx7IUeB8s7epPuV2b9B4q09jBzDA/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder.
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
For this week only, I do have one final request. As there were only 5 submissions for Round 16, please only choose a #5 if you did not compete in this round. If you posted a submission for this round, please only vote to #4 to ensure that you are not voting for yourself. I have made the #5 choice optional within the form for this reason; please only vote for a #5 if you did not post a submission for this round.

Here are the Round 16 submissions so that you know what you're voting for:

The Round 16 voting deadline is Friday 3rd March 2023 at 11:59pm.

Now that I've covered Round 16 voting, I think it's about time I moved onto Round 17...
Round 17 Building
Now that Round 16 is over and done with, it's about time I revealed Round 17, don't you think? The Round 17 brief is... New Coaster for Ferrari Land at PortAventura! The context for this round is as follows:
Ever since it opened in 2017, one key complaint that people have had about Ferrari Land is that the park lacks attractions. With Red Force being its only headline coaster, the park is somewhat of a one-hit wonder, and for many, that limits its all-day appeal. PortAventura have decided that they want to rectify this issue, and to start, they've hired none other than you to design them a second major coaster for the park! You've been allocated a car park behind Red Force, and the park has a few requests. With this being a Ferrari coaster, PortAventura want this to have a launch in there somewhere, and they also want at least 1 inversion seeing as Red Force has none. PortAventura are also keen for this ride not to upstage Red Force as the park's signature attraction, so they've also requested that you don't build an overly tall ride. Other than that, though, the sky's the limit! What coaster will you build for Ferrari Land?
The constraints for this round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 94m*100m/308ft*328ft
  • Maximum Height 131ft/40m
  • Minimum of 1 Launch
  • Minimum of 1 Inversion
For some additional context, this is the area of Ferrari Land that we're building within:
Ferrari-Land-Plot.png

I would recommend using Scenario Editor to apply the footprint constraints if you are on PC. As per usual, I have created a Steam Workshop park with the constraints applied that I would be happy for you to download if you struggle to design a scenario yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2918738834

As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 17 submission deadline is Friday 3rd March 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

So that's everything for Week 17! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 17 and voting for Round 16, folks!

OK, folks; I have a Round 17 submission ready! Say hello to... All-Terrain Racer, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster:
All-Terrain-Racer-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: All-Terrain Racer
  • Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
  • Model: Infinity Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 125ft/38m
  • Speed: 67mph/108kph
  • Length: 3,655ft/1,114m
  • Inversions: 5
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 5.1G (overall), 4.6G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.6G (overall), -1.1G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains with 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,555pph (~97 trains per hour, 1 train every ~37s)
One other thing of interest about All-Terrain Racer is that it has two vertical launches... well, it has one vertical launch and one launch that goes vertical leading into an inversion. That's why I named it All-Terrain Racer... with the launch requirement and the reasonably small area, I wanted to try a vertical launch, and I was struggling to think of a Ferrari theme that would justify one. Through a certain lens, I guess a vertical launch could be like a car racing up a really steep hill!

If you'd like to play with All-Terrain Racer for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link for you to download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2938945173

So that's All-Terrain Racer, my Round 17 submission! I really hope you all like it!

OK, folks; I have a Round 17 submission ready! Say hello to... All-Terrain Racer, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster:
All-Terrain-Racer-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: All-Terrain Racer
  • Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
  • Model: Infinity Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 125ft/38m
  • Speed: 67mph/108kph
  • Length: 3,655ft/1,114m
  • Inversions: 5
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 5.1G (overall), 4.6G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.6G (overall), -1.1G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains with 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,555pph (~97 trains per hour, 1 train every ~37s)
One other thing of interest about All-Terrain Racer is that it has two vertical launches... well, it has one vertical launch and one launch that goes vertical leading into an inversion. That's why I named it All-Terrain Racer... with the launch requirement and the reasonably small area, I wanted to try a vertical launch, and I was struggling to think of a Ferrari theme that would justify one. Through a certain lens, I guess a vertical launch could be like a car racing up a really steep hill!

If you'd like to play with All-Terrain Racer for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link for you to download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2938945173

So that's All-Terrain Racer, my Round 17 submission! I really hope you all like it!

Very impressive! It looks like a very long ride with an honestly amazing layout!

Last edited:
Just as a reminder, we’re now over half way through Week 17.

I’ve only had 1 response to the Round 16 Voting Google Form so far, and that is my own. If you’d like to vote for your Round 16 favourites, here’s the form allowing you to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfWwP3Jpn0dqDyOVSr8wDLx7IUeB8s7epPuV2b9B4q09jBzDA/viewform

There has only been 1 submission for Round 17 so far, and that is my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 17, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

B&M have been limping behind a bit in the past decade, so I decided to do a new-gen launcher for them, with slightly winged, vest restrained trains - this is The Charles Lecoaster.

493340_20230228160713_1.png

493340_20230228160739_1.png

493340_20230228160812_1.png

Length: 996m
Speed: 71mph
Positive G Spike: +5.8g
Negative G Spike: -0.8g
Inversions: 8
Throughput: 2100pph+