• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Progress Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
thanks mrbrightside, I could not for the life of me remember what that meant.
So what do you think about the lexicon idea?

I know everything is still a work in progress, but at the moment, we have two buttons labled "home" at the top of the forum. One for the site home page, and one for the forum home page. Obviously we all know which is which, ;) but for the sake of visitors and new members, maybe one of them could be renamed?

Keep up the good work guys, it's looking great :D

EDIT to add:

I may have found a minor glitch that's been introduced overnight. One of the things that bugged me about that other site was that when surfing on my iPad, after thanking a post, the page refreshed and went back to the top.
Since moving to the new site, I was overjoyed to find that after the post-thank-refresh, the page would jump to the post I had just thanked... like it does on a normal computer. :D But now it seems to be back to it's old ways of resetting to the top of the page :(
Is there anyway of sorting that out, or is it an unavoidable side effect of one of the mods to the forum?

If you need to know the details, I'm using Dolphin browser on a steam powered old first gen iPad.

Didn't I fix that thanks refresh bug on said other site? :?

I'm sure I did. And I can't remember how I did it either :p

The site is looking better everyday! Good work!

In the future, are you planning on changing the buttons at the top of the forum for more 'themed' versions, similar to those found above?

I think it would make the forum look even better!

There's one thing that's been irking me and that's the size of the photos on here which take up an entire post or end up using a scroller. Is it possible for photos to be automatically resized so they fit within the post?

:)

DiogoJ42 said:
If you need to know the details, I'm using Dolphin browser on a steam powered old first gen iPad.

I read that and instead of taking it as a joke, I was going to enquire how you got steam to power an ipad... and by steam I mean the game distribution service created by VALVe

Nope, Joel, you never did fix that bug on the old forum. Whatever causes it, it must be something that's changed in the last 24hours.

Fredward, you mean to say you never got the exclusive Valve app that overwrites your iOS?

RE: photos, that wold be wonderful if they could auto re-size. Just look at my Blithering Lodge topic to see how awkward it is to read without this.
One feature I like on Eurobricks (a Lego forum, which is naturally going to be picture heavy), is that pictures auto re-size to fit, but clicking them will pop up a full resolution version. Don't know how easy that is to make happen though.

Yes I have also noticed that when you thank a post it now goes to the top and stays there, where as when Towers Street launched it went back to the post you thanked.

Right, I've tested this lots and lots and it is definitely a bug in WebKit/Safari for iOS by the looks of it.

It seems Mobile Safari or whatever you want to call it drops any anchors carried in a URL when redirecting by headers.

Other browsers will carry them still and thus why it works.

The only thing I can perhaps do to try and remedy the situation is detect if you are using iOS and give you a splash screen that shows for a few seconds and a manual link to click, otherwise it redirects to the top post by default?

Its up to you to be honest, I can make it so you click and jump back to the right post, or we can leave it as it is :(

It's not just Safari, I use Dolphin and it still happens.
If you added the splash screen, would that be for everyone on all browsers, or just iOS users?

Dolphin still uses WebKit, which is what powers Safari (and Dolphin... and many other 'browser replacements' on iPad/iOS rather ironically).

I'm seeing if theres another solution I can come up with now involving a bit of dirty javascript.

Yeah its the Pretty URLs that has caused the change, it somehow screws up in conjunction with Safari/WebKit when rewriting the URL for the topic again.

I'm not going to remove Pretty URLs to fix this situation (its value outweighs the small inconvenience of not jumping back to the right post for iOS/IE users), however I'm hoping this Javascript fix might work I'm just knocking up now.

Right, the very hacky Javascript fix is in place... can you all test it on your iDevices and IE etc and confirm it works?

I hate bodge hacking things, but meh :(

On odd occasions I get this screen come up when I click the TS link on my bookmark bar, just wondering if its happening to anyone else or just me.

After a couple more clicks it takes me to the site. I am using Google Chrome.

http://prntscr.com/b59d8

That does happen to me too when I'm either clicking through link on TST or refreshing a page. It's really frustrating out of the "Oh no! TST's down!" stigma, when of course it isn't, so I don't know if it's the site refusing to work with Chrome or just my internet being rubbish per usual.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.