• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Site Discussion & Feedback

Yeah as mentioned before, the transparent gold looks a bit naff. But still my hat has never been on my head since this site was started, keep up the good work!

I am not good with technology but am having major issues with the forum on my laptop now. The home menu just drops down and covers everything, meaning I can't click on topics and I can't seem to message or reply to a topic anymore. I can only seem to access stuff via tapatalk on my mobile. Help! I used to spend a lot of time on the forum but now it is just too annoying! What can I do as it doesn't seem like others are having this problem :(

In order to help or technical monkeys look into the issue a screenshot would be of help. Equally, if you could state what browser (and version of it) you are using as well as your operating system it would help to narrow down possible causes too :)

Nah, keep the lower-case only. It's softens the image, making it appear more casual and friendly.

Shame the logo is all shouty and aggressive :p

LiamC said:
Does it follow everyone around? I've never had it follow me up and down the page :/
It doesn't follow me on my PC. I'm quite happy with it staying out of the way when I scroll down, but can't help but wonder if there's anything else I'm missing.

I like the smaller fixed header. :)

If getting it to play nicely with other browsers isn't working out, then I'd suggest the default behaviour should be how it used to be, with the fixed header only enabled for browsers which will support it.

I do think it could be refined a little. The bounce animation of the links when the fixed header becomes active is quite distracting. I'd prefer a minimalist version of the logo on the smaller menu - one which doesn't have any background, just the text.

As an aside, in my opinion live-editing on the site isn't a great idea. Using a dev environment and rolling your own deployment scripts doesn't take a lot of time to set up but means you can experiment a lot easier (and release code only when you're happy with it).

Looks good.....in Chrome, but whereas it used to load of my phone (brand new so not some old thing) running android it no longer loads correctly, and here in work using IE8 it doesnt load correctly either, the bar across the top isnt horizontal..... its vertical which makes trying to use the site very difficult.

For upper and lower case I think The Smiler should be spelt with the two capitals as it is a name but beside that I've got to admit the lower case doesn't bother me and I'm normally a stickler for these types of thing.

GaryH said:
Hmm, its loaded ok now in IE8..... maybe it was a blip my end

No, I put a HTML tag in to stop Internet Explorer using compatibility mode, which nobody seems to understand unfortunately.

Also unfortunately I haven't got round to responding to other bits in here at the moment due to important uni work needing to be done this week, but we'll definitely look at all of the points.

Re: testing environment, we did test the new menu bar on a non-public part of the site (although I believe some people were accidentally lucky enough to see a few of the proposed changes!) for about a week within the team, however it was vital that we pushed it out as soon as possible rather than waiting for fear of a time-related issue that was about to impact us if I hadn't, that I can't discuss in any further detail here, but that said it did appear with the team testing to be working OK.

The biggest issue seems to be IE compatibility mode which I've hopefully fixed, but any other future changes are still tested, and hopefully I'll have some better tools to test IE versions more thoroughly before rolling them out.

You should know by now that saying you can't discuss it here just makes us want to know more, even if it's something utterly trivial! ;)

DiogoJ42 said:
You should know by now that saying you can't discuss it here just makes us want to know more, even if it's something utterly trivial! ;)

Unfortunately its not up to nor right of me to post details of peoples personal lives on a forum, however simply saying nothing at all was just as bad as it looked like there wasn't good enough reason to push the change our hurriedly ;)

Needless to say (or the tl;dr version), we needed to make the change, it was tested for a week but not thoroughly enough, and future testing will be more thorough as it is unlikely to have the same issue attached :p

I think given that the bar was rolled out earlier than planned, you guys have still done a great job. Most the major bugs you sorted out quite quickly.

Obviously it's usually better to test things more beforehand, but still, apart from one or two minor things that need adjusting I'd say it's a great job all round it getting the new bar up on the site. :)

haydn! said:
Shame the logo is all shouty and aggressive :p

WHOOPSY DAISY, MY FAULT :p

Really liking the moving navigation bar, praise to the team for keeping TowersStreet looking fresh.

lgt8634.png

Nice!

Not normally something I'd expect from a site such as this, but when you think about it, these kind of things come into great use. Lovely little thing you've added! ;D