• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Travellers Day Scarefest

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’ll admit I am surprised that we discuss travellers in such depth each year… as said, we wouldn’t do the same with any other minority group, and don’t travellers deserve the same respect as everyone else in society?

Ahh it's time for my yearly post on the subject then... The fact is (and it is a fact, not a slur - there was once a documentary that featured this as an occasion ) that there are dates during the year where the travelling community actively organise visits to Alton Towers. It's also a fact that there is an increase in issues across the resort on these dates. Yes, it's a minority and the park have got better at handling it, but it's still often noticeable and the 'no alcohol' rule can affect the enjoyment of people's day.

As a result, it's a valid discussion point for an Alton Towers community. What isn't right is branding the whole travelling community as an issue when that's clearly not the case. As you'll see within the topic, where such posts have been made other members have quite rightly called those posts out with their response. If as a team we were simply to remove every post like that, where would be the opportunity to educate those posters that their views are inappropriate?

As we do every time this subject crops up, we keep an eye out this topic and do moderate where appropriate. But, at the same time you can't deny that operations are different on these days and the resort implements different plans when they do occur.

Change the word 'traveller' to any other minority, and tell me if the topic would stay open.

I don’t see this thread as being racist, it’s just people talking about a particular day in which they might wish to avoid the park because the atmosphere can unfortunately not be such a pleasant one.

I live in Newcastle and there’s a thing here called “Black Eye Friday” (aka Mad Friday or Fighting Friday) which is a particular night just before Christmas where it can be mayhem in the pubs and clubs so you might wish to avoid going in to town that night. I just see this thread as being similar in that people are discussing a day that they may wish to avoid visiting the park.

And that’s the thing, it is a fact that there are days that large numbers of the traveller community chose to visit and you’ll see a number of changes around the park on those days with regards to security and alcohol sales for example. It’s also unfortunate fact that a somewhat significant amount of anti-social behaviour can take place on the days. That’s certainly not to say that all travellers partake in those kind of activities however I don’t see anything wrong with people wishing to avoid visiting the park on those days and saving their visit for another time that they will feel more comfortable going.

Lol it's avoiding somewhere because of a ethnic minority it is 100% racist.

"I dont like going to Alton Towers when there is a high number of Jews/Muslims/Roman Catholics/Ukrainians".

Racist. It's all racist. Your busy pub analogy is BS.

"I dont like going to Alton Towers when there is a high number of Jews/Muslims/Roman Catholics/Ukrainians".

No, it’s about potentially avoiding somewhere because of an increase in anti-social behaviour that can take place on that day, that’s what it is about.

No, it’s about potentially avoiding somewhere because of an increase in anti-social behaviour that can take place on that day, that’s what it is about.
This topic isn't about antisocial behaviour it is literally about travellers it is in the title.

That’s a complete simplification of the issue and you know it.
Yes, but it's absurd that it has to be explained that this topic is *racist*

This topic of discussion definitely is just borderline racist, no matter what your perspective of the issue is. 2022 people, unless TS is actually Tory Street =D.

EDIT - removed borderline, it just is.

Nope, that's not how racism works.

It's a discussion about what day the park will be different, because it is absolutely 100% a different park on that day. You can't pretend it isn't, partly because of the behaviour of some (this is the important bit, not all of a group, and not only that group) of guests and partly because of some of the measures the park put in place.

I will, and have, vehemently stand up against actual racism in this thread, but the discussion overall is a perfectly valid one.

It is in the title lol it's literally a topic about an ethnic minority

As @Craig and others have quite rightly stated, there is a change to the experience on these days, and some people may find this uncomfortable.

Are those people racist? Most certainly not. But if your spending £200 of your hard earned money on a day out only to have the experience curtailed - I'd certainly look at avoiding going on these days

Go when you want, don't need a topic about it.

Can we make a 'racists' day so I can avoid anyone falling into that category too? =D.

So, simply mentioning? Again, no. It's not really up for debate, you are just wrong from both a legal and moral viewpoint.
It's genuinely no wonder the theme park fan community is full of such questionable characters when you have gaslighting of this nature.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.