Trip Planning: Information, advice and questions!

Discussion in 'Europa-Park Trip Plans and Reports' started by AstroDan, 23rd Apr 2015.

1. IDB

IDB TowersStreet Member

The 50 bus will take you to Basel SBB. You will then have to cross the city to Basel Badischer Bahnhof for your onward train to Ringsheim. Easiest way I find is by catching the tram opposite Basel SBB.

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

You can get the train from Basel SBB to ringsheim, you don’t need to cross the city to a different station. most trains you have to make 1 change, there are a few direct trains mon-Friday (although takes longer than the taking a train and making a change over) we did it last just over a week ago and was really easy. You can book tickets on various sites like Loco2.com and they tell you which platform etc.

3. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    I think I bought the wrong ticket then as it cost me €6! Most other people seemed to get on the bus without buying a ticket and nobody seemed to care.

While that's true, you do need to use a bus to get between the airport and Basel SBB.

4. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Basel Airport to Basel SBB used to be a two zone ticket which was around £3.50 ish. However the zones have been reclassified this year and its now a three zone ticket which is required, meaning the fare is now 6.10CHF, so just shy of a fiver :)

See below from the journey planner on the TNW tickets app which is on Android and iOS

Last edited: 24th Jun 2019
    RicketyCricket and Alsty like this.
  5. IDB

IDB TowersStreet Member

As with many countries in Europe having a valid ticket on public transport is run on a trust system. I’ve never had a bus/tram/train ticket checked on either of my trips to Europa Park. Whether everyone has a valid ticket or not, who knows.

We’ve only used the local RE train that goes direct to Ringsheim as you can’t use the Baden-Württemberg group ticket on the ICE trains.

6. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

Does anyone have any advice on getting to the resort from Ringsheim station? Having checked when I arrive at Ringsheim next week, the bus service isn’t running (because German schools are still on) so I’m potentially stuck at Ringsheim for another hour.

I’ve enquires with a Freiburg taxi service and waiting to find out whether they can put in a taxi, but would appreciate finding out if anyone else has any experience of this

7. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    There are usually taxis waiting outside the station, I got one recently as I was in a rush and didn't want to wait for the bus, I believe it was around 15 euro. Worst case scenario walk to a nearby hotel and they should be able to call one for you.

The lack of Uber in Germany is very annoying.

EuroSatch likes this.
  8. IDB

IDB TowersStreet Member

I’ve twice used Taxi700 and recommend them.

Email them at [email protected] telling them what time train you’ll be arriving on and there’ll be a taxi waiting for you.

It’s on a meter and usually works out at about €20 if you want to round up and leave a tip.

EuroSatch likes this.
  9. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Thinking about going late November (during the Winter Season), I have heard that some rides such as Blue Fire and Silver Star are open if it is warm enough. How warm would the park need to be for those rides to open and are they likely to open late November?

10. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It's usually around 4 degrees or so for them to open, although Blue Fire was operating in temperatures of 1 degrees at times last winter season! So long as there is no ice on the rails, they should open. I think you'll be fine in November.

Thameslink Rail likes this.
  11. ScottishChris

ScottishChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Legend
    I had a week planned in Paris at the start of September - which my buddy can no longer do, so I am thinking about biting the bullet and doing a solo trip to Europa park (I generally don't like solo trips - so if anyone will be around at the same time - please let me know).

I am fleshing out plans - I'm looking at flying from Manchester on 09/09 - the flight lands in Basel at 9:30pm. So what I plan to do is:
    09/09 - Airport hotel
    10/09 - 08:13 train Basel - Freiburg - Ringsheim (9:31 arrival) and taxi to park. Night in B&B In Rust
    11/09 - Day at park - Night in B&B
    12/09 - 07:23 Ringsheim - Offenburg - Strasburg - Paris (10:38 arrival)
    13/09 - Fly home

Am I missing anything? There is way too much advice out there - I got myself majorly confused in my planning. I thought about a day at DLP - but really don't know if it would be worth the added expense.

12. ScottishChris

Favourite Ride:
    Legend
    Ive booked most of my trip. In terms of the train to Ringsheim... I now land at 17:35 and will be heading straight to my hotel in Rust, II were to book my train, do you think it is worth risking the 19:13? It is e19.90 to book in advance, the flexpreis is e32.90 (an means I can use any train). Or I could just book the 20:13 train.... but I would rather not be arriving in Ringsheim at 10 pm if I could avoid it.

Anyone with any experience or tips?

13. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

For the extra £10 and the peace of mind and flexibility, I’d go for the flex ticket or just buy when you’re there. It means you won’t be stressing, you won’t be hanging around unnecessarily and you aren’t risking missing your train.

14. Matt

Matt TowersStreet Member

Got my first visit planned for mid-September (17th-20th), what are crowd levels like at this time of year?

Also, regarding park tickets, looking at 3-days, is there a 3-day ticket available when you arrive and how much is it? Had a look around but don't see any mention of 3-days unless staying in hotels.

15. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    It'll be post-summer holidays so shouldn't be too busy at all.

There's a 3-day ticket available at the ticket booths by the main entrance. You just have to ask for one. I believe they are around the 130,€ mark.

:)

16. Matt

Matt TowersStreet Member

Thanks for the info @Burbs that's really useful. :) Counting down the days now!

Charlie Newbold and Burbs like this.
  17. ScottishChris

Favourite Ride:
    Legend
    If you have a BPB Platinum Pass you get a free entry @Matt - also, if you have an RCCGB membership you get e10 (aprox) off per ticket.