• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Trip Planning Questions and Discussion

If you have a Decathlon or Go Outdoors store near you pick up a cheap basic pair of waterproof overtrousers (and if you need it a packable rain jacket as well) to take with you. Something like a pair of Regatta Pack-It trousers or the Decathlon Quechua ones will cost you about £10-15. Not the most fashionable items but will keep you dry if the rain comes down heavily and you can slip them on over what you are wearing. Brings pair of spare socks with you as well. No fun in walking around all day in wet trousers or socks.

The Regatta trousers can be had from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regatta-W...1680005674&sprefix=regatta+pack,aps,89&sr=8-1

Last edited:
And maybe wait for the rain to ease off a bit before attempting The Smiler. Pretty miserable in driving rain. Rita's not that much fun either, I'm reliably informed

It's not good. Really, really not good.

Honestly in the rain, just put a coat on. I don't bother with waterproof trousers and just go with the least leaky pair of shoes I have, maybe take a spare pair if driving?

Cheers all, was probably a bit vague were seasoned campers so have all the waterproof gear and stuff. Both kids under 1.4 so it will be wickerman and 13. Hoping to get in for park opening and get 13 / wickerman done early. Went over Xmas and youngest was finally over 1.2 had 3 spins on the wizzer.Taking picnic as per. Debating hotdogs or a soup to take and drink. If anybody sees someone with a very bright harry potter bag and unicorn coat come say hi

Anecdotally, I know of people that only visit with the free tickets and it's almost a challenge on the basis of "How little money can we spend today?". Once people have decided that your product is worth £0, you don't have anywhere to go on pricing.
My only annual visit to Alton Towers is through the free The Sun tickets and it has been for the past however many years they're been running the promotion. And we take a packed lunch! Also try to do Thorpe Park every couple of seasons on the same basis.

How do you walk to the Chained Oak from the park? Looking at Google, it seems like a walk down Farley Lane and running the risk of getting run over is the only way? I've seen on the B&B website that they're saying the park entrance is a short walk away but as far as I can see, Farley Lane is the only route?

Can you access the old railway path from Enchanted Village? Can you access the Chained Oak from the Railway path?

How do you walk to the Chained Oak from the park? Looking at Google, it seems like a walk down Farley Lane and running the risk of getting run over is the only way? I've seen on the B&B website that they're saying the park entrance is a short walk away but as far as I can see, Farley Lane is the only route?

Can you access the old railway path from Enchanted Village? Can you access the Chained Oak from the Railway path?
Only way is down the main road if you are walking. It’s not the best road to be walking down as well, as there is no where to walk along except the road. To save a bit of walking on the road You could possibly walk down the security lane from the main towers entrance and out that entrance but not sure they will let you do that as it is staff areas.

IT is a much longer route, but yes, you can get to the chained oak from the enchanted village. You can actually go past Ina's rock on the way down through the woods from the EV down to the railway line. Then, turn right when you eventually get down to the railway line. Follow it until you get to the Mill/Railway Station Bridge in Alton. Then go over the big road bridge to your left in Alton (Lord's Bridge, I think) and take the right down to where the pubs and stuff are. Basically follow the road for quite a fair distance in a pretty much straight line staying near to the watercourse on your right and eventually you'll come to the Ramblers Retreat. Just past the RR you will see a gated path to your right. Take that path and over the bridge and just keep going upwards on the MAIN path. After around 5-10 mins you'll come to the chained oak on your left. Potentially this could be shortened by carrying on down the railway line past Alton Station for some distance before turning off but I've not personally done that so I'm not 100% sure. In bed at the moment or I'd check on Google Maps for you :)

Last edited:
Sorry, double post. After reviewing Google Maps, yes, you can just follow the railway line (instead of going off into the lower village past the pubs etc). Go past Alton Station and continue on the old railway line for about another 3 quarters of a mile or something like that until you come to an old stone bridge. This is where you want to get off and turn right and get onto the track as if you'd taken the Ramblers Retreat route mentioned earlier. The Chained Oak is actually marked on Google Maps too so you'll know when you're going in the right direction :)

Various trip advisor reviews for Chained Oak suggest you can walk through the fields along side the road to get to the park, if you search the reviews for ‘walk’ you can find them.

When I stayed last year this was the walking route the owner advised I use. Walk through the field, over the fence opposite the staff entrance then along the service road into the VIP car park. It did feel naughty walking through the staff car park but no one challenged me.

1481f736648ef5f07e2a728deea72e52.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very helpful guys, thanks. My son wants to see it, the park is only open for 6 hours these days and eating on resort is a no no now so we have time to venture out and explore for food and a walk after park close. I might park in J, take the service road/field route on the way out and the railway walk route back. I don't mind risking rolling up a car bonnet on Farley Lane myself but would rather not walk into traffic with the boy in toe.

I suppose you can only take the route across the field if it's not muddy oder wet. Or you have good footgear.
I can't imagine myself walking over a fence and on the car park I'm not allowed to be? I'm usually not that kind of person to break the law. But thanks for mentioning the other routes. I'll also stay at the Chained Oak.

I suppose you can only take the route across the field if it's not muddy oder wet. Or you have good footgear.
I can't imagine myself walking over a fence and on the car park I'm not allowed to be? I'm usually not that kind of person to break the law. But thanks for mentioning the other routes. I'll also stay at the Chained Oak.

The fence referred to is between the field and the road, not the Alton Towers side.

There is no issue with walking across the car park towards the entrance plaza.

IT is a much longer route, but yes, you can get to the chained oak from the enchanted village. You can actually go past Ina's rock on the way down through the woods from the EV down to the railway line. Then, turn right when you eventually get down to the railway line. Follow it until you get to the Mill/Railway Station Bridge in Alton. Then go over the big road bridge to your left in Alton (Lord's Bridge, I think) and take the right down to where the pubs and stuff are. Basically follow the road for quite a fair distance in a pretty much straight line staying near to the watercourse on your right and eventually you'll come to the Ramblers Retreat. Just past the RR you will see a gated path to your right. Take that path and over the bridge and just keep going upwards on the MAIN path. After around 5-10 mins you'll come to the chained oak on your left. Potentially this could be shortened by carrying on down the railway line past Alton Station for some distance before turning off but I've not personally done that so I'm not 100% sure. In bed at the moment or I'd check on Google Maps for you :)
Beat me to it Mr Zola.
The footpath I used comes out at the side of the beebies hotel, but I should add that the steep banking would be fun in the dark, even with a torch.
Would not want to be doing that walk at the end of the day after a full day walking the towers.
Not with these knees, a long way round that isn't a brief ramble!

When staying at the Chained Oak, Liz advises walking along the fields and then into the service entrance and along the road there and into premium parking.
Of course if it is wet weather the fields might be muddy and there is the risk of cowpats.
When I stayed last year this was the walking route the owner advised I use. Walk through the field, over the fence opposite the staff entrance then along the service road into the VIP car park. It did feel naughty walking through the staff car park but no one challenged me.

1481f736648ef5f07e2a728deea72e52.jpg
This is the route we took when we stayed at the Chained Oak. Probably just as quick as walking from the main car parks.

The fence referred to is between the field and the road, not the Alton Towers side.

There is no issue with walking across the car park towards the entrance plaza.
Thank god Towersstreet won't make me a criminal.

Let's see how it will go. Maybe there will be other guests to join walking.