• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST+ and One Day Meets

I have been waiting for someone to suggest calling it TST+1 as it an TST meet day with an optional 1 day extra. :)

If you'd prefer a name change then all you have to do is suggest something! We've always said we're open to input from you guys - that name was literally thrown together to help Dan plan the calendar.

It just needed to be something short, snappy and easy to distinguish. It's not meant to be exclusive, cliquey or remotely dodgy! :)

Isn't this how it's always been? I fail to see how this is different except making less people attend Sunday because it's not an 'official' day.

"We are at towers Saturday and Sunday, feel free to attend one or both days." Simple.

No need to over complicate things by giving the Sunday a special name that sounds like a premium membership.

As I'm not attending FHT, I've not been paying attention to the topic till this all kicked off. I fail to see what the problem is? Nothing is different to what it has always been.

I'm going to reiterate this point because I think it's important, if all these opinions had been provided in the closed season we could have avoided all of this. People are saying they go on meets but don't post on forums but here you are posting on the forums when suddenly there is something you don't like.

The one day meet idea was not the teams it was the overwhelming request of those who got involved.

The moral of the story.... Get involved or what's the point in doing this? Joel and Craig can save the money they spend on this place and the rest of us can go back to just having full-time jobs. As much as people have regularly tried to suggest the team are out of touch here, it's the act of trying to listen to people (not please everyone) that lead to this decision.

I don't really see the point to the whole TST+ stuff. No one forces you to go on a meet, so if you can only make one day of that meet, then that's fine. Likewise, if on the second day you would rather go around slowly with a small group of people instead of staying with the main group, that too is fine.

The meets might as well stay as two day meets, but just make it clearer that its entirely up to you if you want to go off and do your own thing at any point of the meet or if you can only make one day then your still welcome to come just for that day.

I just don't get why they need to be one day meets that have this addition + day on the end. Why not make it a two day meet? If a small number of people can only do one day, why change the whole lot to a one day meet?

Also, I know the team are going on what people have probably said in Q&As (I cannot remember much about it), but I think that the sheer number of people saying that they don't like this idea shows, that maybe there is a better and maybe simpler solution out there.

TST Extra sounds like a rip off of Tesco Extra. ;)

Next it'll be TST Express, for those who want to visit meets for only a part of one day.

The principle of TST+ is a good idea, although it's not really been executed as well as it could've been. Having a 'recommended' option for evening meal and accommodation for TST+ meets is a start to improving things. One way in which I feel things could be changed is that meets should still be two days (apart from Fireworks, as that suits a one-day meet better), but it should be made clearer that there is no obligation at all to attend the entire meet - people should feel free to come to as much or as little of a meet as they can. A prime example of this is happening right now - the Most Wanted Junket. Several people are only doing some parts of the trip, and that's been accepted, so maybe it's worth considering implementing this policy for the other meets.

Jonathan said:
The principle of TST+ is a good idea, although it's not really been executed as well as it could've been. Having a 'recommended' option for evening meal and accommodation for TST+ meets is a start to improving things. One way in which I feel things could be changed is that meets should still be two days (apart from Fireworks, as that suits a one-day meet better), but it should be made clearer that there is no obligation at all to attend the entire meet - people should feel free to come to as much or as little of a meet as they can. A prime example of this is happening right now - the Most Wanted Junket. Several people are only doing some parts of the trip, and that's been accepted, so maybe it's worth considering implementing this policy for the other meets.

I know I spoke to you earlier about this Jon but thought I'd mention it on here for the benefit of everyone else too. Most of this has been said by others, but I thought I'd try and round things up to explain.

I'd like to use a two day February Half Term meet as an example of the reasoning behind the decision. People came along on Saturday, had a great time and powered round the rides which were opened. Now, the issue is that since there's only part of the park open, the rides which are open are done really quickly (and often repeatedly!). There was then the usual overnight stay before heading on park on Sunday.

As well as those hitting the park for two days, we then have some people coming along just for the Sunday. They head down to the park bright and early, but there's very few people on park. After a few too many drinks as per usual, lots of people have decided to have a bit of a lie in and head down a little later on. As they've also done the park the day before, they're not too fussed about hitting the rides as much either, so they decide on a nice chilled day perhaps popping to the hotels after a couple of hours. Others decide not to bother heading on park and go home. Naturally, this is quite disappointing for those who have travelled down just for the Sunday, and they're frustrated that they're not able to enjoy their day with everyone else as much as they hoped.

So following some feedback from people after last year's meets the team have tried to strike a balance. We have some meets where (lets be honest) the rides and attractions can be done in a day. On one hand, the difficulty of obtaining holidays from work, along with paying for transport etc can soon mount up over the course of a season, and so we understand how some may only want to attend for one day. On the other, many people are travelling from far away so we can understand they may wish to spend a bit extra on accommodation and make a proper weekend of it.

And that's where the idea of TST+ came from. We may call them "one day meets", but in reality all that we're doing is placing an emphasis on a main meetup day. This means that those who are coming along for one day know when the majority of people will be around, and the group is much more likely to go around as a group instead of fragmenting. For those who enjoy shelling out for a weekend, then the option is still there as it always has been. As a team, we simply felt that using the terms 'one day meet' and 'TST+' would be a way to clearly state when the main meetup day would be occurring.

As Joel already mentioned at the start of the topic, there is one thing which we have immediately amended following feedback - and that is accommodation and where possible evening meal recommendations. These will now be included in all future meet posts following your feedback.

I can understand both sides of the fence's argument here, and appreciate everyone's feedback so far. Again as Joel has said, we're not trying to annoy, merely trying to amend and adjust how we do things off the back of feedback from our members.

There are a couple of things which I'd like to suggest in terms of meets:

Talk to each other!
We make a topic for each and every meet, and I'd encourage anyone attending or planning to attend to actively read and participate in the topics before (and of course after!) the meets. We've seen a real reduction in how much these are used in recent years, and although chatting individually to each other on Facebook etc is great, discussing your plans in the topic too might help others who may be struggling with their own plans.

Confirm your attendance
Our meets site on TowersStreet has an individual page for each event where you can confirm your attendance. I can't stress enough how handy this could be if everyone confirmed their attendance and used it in conjunction with the forum. For example, if people are struggling for transport or accommodation, it's possible for them to see exactly who's got what available at a glance. You can also see who's attending in order to perhaps PM someone for a contact number as you're arriving late on park for example. As with anything, if you've got any suggestions for how to improve the pages then please let us know.

Anyway, this post turned out slightly longer than I intended it to be, but I hoped it's helped to clear things up a little bit more :).

James said:
TST Extra sounds like a rip off of Tesco Extra. ;)

Next it'll be TST Express, for those who want to visit meets for only a part of one day.

Don't forget TST Metro, for those meets taking place in busy city centres! ;)