• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

Ready Player One.

I went into this determined to bemoan it and explain why the book was better and how all the trailers seemed to give some key plots away. However I was hoodwinked by Spielberg. Without giving too much away, there are a lot of surprising departures from the book and looking back its probably a good thing.(Most of the time)

The fun in the film is all of the "Easter eggs" and cameos of which there are plenty. Most repeat viewing will probably made up you trying to spot secondary characters and catching references/jokes you missed first time around.

There are some bits missing from the book that I felt would have enhanced the film and I can't quite work out why there missing. Probably a personal thing but I felt they could have spent a little more time introducing the high-5. The book makes you care about all of them. Daito and sho are a bit meh in this.

It's not a movie without it's flaws buts definitely worth watching. If only for the soundtrack alone :)

TLDR large chunks different to the book. Works surprisingly well! Nerdgams aplenty.

Hitmans Bodyguard 8/10

Quite enjoyed this, the storyline kept me going and of course Samuel L. Jackson has a stand out performance in it!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail 10/10

A good laugh from beginning to end, plus I heard that if you don't give it a 10/10 they will come to your house and say "nee" until you decide it's worthy of a 10/10...

The Angry Birds film 7/10

Went into this film expecting it to be absolutely pants, however I was pleasantly surprised, I'm not quite sure what the point of the Rick Roll was but a good film, one to watch with the family.

5/10 for Infinity Wars.

I won't spoil it other than to say don't watch it if you've had a bad week, there were people crying as they left the cinema where I watched.

Anyone bothered with Solo?
By the sound of it, the only people who have actually seen it are the youtube "critics" who slag off crap films. Don't think a single person I know has seen it.
I've read / watched some right stories about it though. They've made Lando a "droidsexual"‽ For example?

With any luck this will be the final nail in the coffin for these "SJW Wars" films. I never thought I'd see the day when the prequel trillogy suddenly didn't seem so bad!

I'll be watching Solo when it comes out on DVD, for me there is only one Hans Solo and that's Harrison Ford, it's going to be weird watching another actor play the part. Something that I won't get used to, but will have to accept

No, you don't have to accept it at all. Vote with your wallet and preserve your good memories untarnished!

Went in with low expectations and enjoyed it for what it was. A popcorn heist film with some interesting Star Wars call backs. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a decent enough job and I hope Disney cast him as Indiana Jones just to tool with the fan boys :D

If you want to pick it apart I'm sure you can, especially Enfys Nest and her crew which feels a bit forced to connect it to A New Hope.

It has made me want to watch Rebels to get all the cameos and references. (although £75 for all 4 seasons is steep, I might have to free trial Disney life and binge watch them).

The real star with the most character growth is of course the Falcon :cool:

Quote of the film: Arrrggghhnnn. Grrrhn. Gahr. - Chewbacca

Yeah it was an enjoyable romp, some interesting references (Black Spire was mentioned AKA the settlement you are in when you enter Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge) and some that felt a little forced...

However, although it is something I would watch again, I'm not entirely sure I need to... so probably won't pick it up on DVD / Blu-Ray. It's definitely no Rogue One.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
If you have seen the trailer you have seen the film unfortunately. At times the film felt like the best bits of original 2 films mashed together. So if you are not a fan of the others don't expect anything new to draw you in.The visual effects are amazing and the actions scenes were fun. The humour is very hit and miss throughout.

The last scene of Isla Nublar with the Brachiosaurus is a very hard hitting and is a scene that stuck with everyone the we talked to at the end of the film. Bloody ninjas cutting onions :cry:

Been out for a while now but John Wick/John Wick Chapter 2.

I love these "one man army" films and Keanu Reeves does not disappoint. Best films I've seen in a while.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
If you have seen the trailer you have seen the film unfortunately. At times the film felt like the best bits of original 2 films mashed together. So if you are not a fan of the others don't expect anything new to draw you in.The visual effects are amazing and the actions scenes were fun. The humour is very hit and miss throughout.

The last scene of Isla Nublar with the Brachiosaurus is a very hard hitting and is a scene that stuck with everyone the we talked to at the end of the film. Bloody ninjas cutting onions :cry:

Must say... I really enjoyed JW: FK. It was beautiful in IMAX with Laser and felt as nearly as terrifying as the original. I really enjoy the underlying principle of Dino rights, as would most likely be a discussion that would happen should the premise of the film be a reality. Do Dinos deserve what Cats and Dogs deserve.

We ended up watching JW - I enjoyed it. Was pretty much what I was expecting. Here's a video about how they built a coaster to film the key Gyrosphere scene.

Suspect a coaster company was involved, but haven't bothered to research who.

Saw Hereditary last night, which is easy one of the most suspenseful and traumatic films I've ever seen, anchored by an amazing performance from Toni Colette, who really sells some of the hokier or more cliched moments in the second hour. Loved it, despite my sweaty palms throughout, and probably one of the greatest blends of psychological drama and classic, visceral horror in some time. There's a sequence about 45 minutes in that hits both these notes and really, truly shocked the Friday night audience. Not for the faint of heart or those after a slap-bang haunted house movie, but one of the year's highlights, for sure.

Last edited:
We ended up watching JW - I enjoyed it. Was pretty much what I was expecting. Here's a video about how they built a coaster to film the key Gyrosphere scene.

Suspect a coaster company was involved, but haven't bothered to research who.

Did a bit of research, but I cannot find any info about if they used an actual coaster manufacturer. I even looked on the films' company list on IMDb.

EDIT: another video:

Last edited: