TST Film Review Thread

Discussion in 'Box Office' started by D4n, 13th Jun 2012.

1. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

Honestly princess and the frog has such strong songs- I don't think any are bad. If Disney put the effort into the splash retheme I think it could be excellent. As much as I love the splash mountain suite I think the princess and the frog ones could lead to just as classic a ride

Charlie Newbold and skyscraper like this.
  2. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Been watching Into The Unknown: Making of Frozen 2 today. 6 part series and is really interesting. You don't realise just how much work goes into making an animated film til you watch a behind the scenes doc. :)

3. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Ready Player One....good film

Jurassic Park (for the 100th time) so bloody good for it’s time.

Trooper and skyscraper like this.
  4. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Labyrinth is the best film ever made, and that's a fact. If any of you kids haven't seen it it's about to start on Channel 5.

5. The Cardinal

The Cardinal TowersStreet Member

Creed II (8/10): I really enjoyed this upon a second viewing. It was fantastic to see Rocky and Drago share the screen together again, there was a lot more substance to the story in this one compared to the first as well. My only issue is I just can't get behind Creed as a character; with Rocky you routed for him, he was a likable underdog with everything to lose. Creed comes across as a spoiled brat from a rich environment who initially just started boxing as a hobby. In this movie he's more tolerable with the whole "avenging his father" storyline I suppose. Nonetheless it's an entertaining watch!

Rojo likes this.
  6. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

I enjoyed Creed II for what it was but to be honest I wouldn't be fussed if they didn't do a Creed III. Although I'd be thrilled if Tyson Fury was cast as an opponent (Thunderlips son or is that too far?) :D. Much happier with that, rather than the Deontay Wilder as Clubber Lang's son rumour.

If you want some more Stallone Vs Lundgren then you might be pleased to know that Stallone is currently working on a Rocky 4 Directors Cut. There's some new scenes but Stallone has confirmed Paulie's butler robot has been cut, booo! :(

The Cardinal likes this.
  7. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

I really enjoyed the first Creed but I think I was a little less impressed with the second one. For the kind of films they are though, they're absolutely fine. Just switch off and enjoy a bit of light entertainment type stuff. I'm sure a third Creed would be a passable way to enjoy a couple of hours.

Rojo likes this.
  8. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Knives Out - Amazon Prime.
    One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Like a West End whodunit murder mystery show but with the storytelling freedom film has over stage, it's really witty and cleverly put together. Would recommend.

Last edited: 2nd Sep 2020
    The Cardinal, Rojo and D4n like this.
  9. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

I quite like the idea of the sequel film retaining the cast but in completely different roles, except for Daniel Craig of course. It would certainly keep that West End Stage vibe you mentioned @pluk

10. The Cardinal

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (10/10): Absolute masterpiece of cinema. Can't believe I had never seen this before until today! I had high expectations with a lot of people regarding it so highly but it exceeded them all. Jack Nicholson's performance as Randall is so believable you forget that he's playing a character and Louis Fletcher is menacing as Nurse Ratched. It's still just as powerful even today. If you haven't seen this film I highly recommend it; you won't be disappointed.

11. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    A Life on Our Planet
    I rarely watch films as my attention span is usually quite short and I have never had any reason to discuss films with others but this was quite frankly the greatest film I have ever watched!

Sir David Attenborough described this film as his "Witness Statement" I think it is far more than that, the film starts in Pripyat, the abandoned city of 50,000 by the ill-fated Chernobyl nuclear power plant. This was described as an accident caused by "Human error", we then see how nature has reclaimed the city and how local wildlife including some mammals live there. From there Attenborough shows us his broadcasting career from when he started making documentaries in the 50s to the present day. Every 20 mins there was a screen showing the year, the population, the carbon dioxide concentration and the percentage of land still natural habitat. It was in the 70s on a documentary about the oceans that Attenborough started to see that something was wrong when he encountered whaling and overfishing. In the 90s the first signs that something was wrong with the climate when he saw coral reefs bleaching. He then went on to show what would happen if we continue abusing the earth and he did so in a way only he could. A horror movie even worse than Saw or Blair Witch: our earth even by the 2030s. This was so bad that I had to look away and I wanted to run out of the cinema and then Attenborough gave us hope: some really simple ways that we can avoid this. Eat less meat, don't have too many children, avoid waste: be this food, packaging or even time. Look at what Morocco are doing with their solar array, look at what Costa Rica are doing with their nature reserves, look at what the Netherlands are doing with their sustainable farming, they are the second largest exporter of food!
    The second half of the viewing (at least for those of us watching at cinemas, not sure if Netflix viewers will ever get to see this) was a 50 mins Q&A, this was supposed to be a live event at the Royal Albert Hall. Alas, the pandemic scuppered those plans so instead we had this lovely conversation between Attenborough and Sir Michael Palin. Two of the greatest minds of our time and two of the funniest (I knew Palin was funny because of Monty Python but Attenborough was also very witty despite him now being 94). They answered many of the questions those of us watching had: what was it like to film? Is this your final work? And answered some of the questions we didn't know we had: what was the funniest encounter with a fan you have ever had (David's included a trip to Borneo and a massive tattoo of his face, Michael's included being mistook for Eric Idle). I came in at 6:50 for a 7pm start, I was out at 9pm and it took me a while to gather my emotions and even longer to write this (if you are still reading by this point - well done!) It also made me think about my role in all this, where do I fit in? Myself and my parents have decided to have more vegetarian food, plan meals to ensure less waste and try to go to fast food chains a little less. I hope that when this film comes out on Netflix that those of you who subscribe to it watch this film and are inspired to make some changes to your lives!

skyscraper and D4n like this.
  12. The Cardinal

Hubie Halloween (7/10): Maybe I'm insane but I really enjoyed this, it's just simple Halloween fun. You know what you're getting with Adam Sandler but I thought this was one of his funnier films in all honesty. The plot was, well, barely existent - it just follows Sandler being a goofball for an hour and a half - but I was in stitches through some of it. If you're like me and have an immature sense of humor, I'd recommend giving this a watch for a chuckle.