• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

Princess and the Frog. 8/10

A wonderful Disney tale with some good jokes and a nice soundtrack.

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga 10/10

Good laughs throughout with Will Ferrel giving another classic performance and unlike some comedies it actually has a fairly solid storyline. Well worth the watch.
Honestly princess and the frog has such strong songs- I don't think any are bad. If Disney put the effort into the splash retheme I think it could be excellent. As much as I love the splash mountain suite I think the princess and the frog ones could lead to just as classic a ride

Been watching Into The Unknown: Making of Frozen 2 today. 6 part series and is really interesting. You don't realise just how much work goes into making an animated film til you watch a behind the scenes doc. :)

Labyrinth is the best film ever made, and that's a fact. If any of you kids haven't seen it it's about to start on Channel 5.

Creed II (8/10): I really enjoyed this upon a second viewing. It was fantastic to see Rocky and Drago share the screen together again, there was a lot more substance to the story in this one compared to the first as well. My only issue is I just can't get behind Creed as a character; with Rocky you routed for him, he was a likable underdog with everything to lose. Creed comes across as a spoiled brat from a rich environment who initially just started boxing as a hobby. In this movie he's more tolerable with the whole "avenging his father" storyline I suppose. Nonetheless it's an entertaining watch!

I enjoyed Creed II for what it was but to be honest I wouldn't be fussed if they didn't do a Creed III. Although I'd be thrilled if Tyson Fury was cast as an opponent (Thunderlips son or is that too far?) :D. Much happier with that, rather than the Deontay Wilder as Clubber Lang's son rumour.

If you want some more Stallone Vs Lundgren then you might be pleased to know that Stallone is currently working on a Rocky 4 Directors Cut. There's some new scenes but Stallone has confirmed Paulie's butler robot has been cut, booo! :(

I really enjoyed the first Creed but I think I was a little less impressed with the second one. For the kind of films they are though, they're absolutely fine. Just switch off and enjoy a bit of light entertainment type stuff. I'm sure a third Creed would be a passable way to enjoy a couple of hours.

Knives Out - Amazon Prime.
One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Like a West End whodunit murder mystery show but with the storytelling freedom film has over stage, it's really witty and cleverly put together. Would recommend.

Last edited:
I quite like the idea of the sequel film retaining the cast but in completely different roles, except for Daniel Craig of course. It would certainly keep that West End Stage vibe you mentioned @pluk

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (10/10): Absolute masterpiece of cinema. Can't believe I had never seen this before until today! I had high expectations with a lot of people regarding it so highly but it exceeded them all. Jack Nicholson's performance as Randall is so believable you forget that he's playing a character and Louis Fletcher is menacing as Nurse Ratched. It's still just as powerful even today. If you haven't seen this film I highly recommend it; you won't be disappointed.

A Life on Our Planet
I rarely watch films as my attention span is usually quite short and I have never had any reason to discuss films with others but this was quite frankly the greatest film I have ever watched!

Sir David Attenborough described this film as his "Witness Statement" I think it is far more than that, the film starts in Pripyat, the abandoned city of 50,000 by the ill-fated Chernobyl nuclear power plant. This was described as an accident caused by "Human error", we then see how nature has reclaimed the city and how local wildlife including some mammals live there. From there Attenborough shows us his broadcasting career from when he started making documentaries in the 50s to the present day. Every 20 mins there was a screen showing the year, the population, the carbon dioxide concentration and the percentage of land still natural habitat. It was in the 70s on a documentary about the oceans that Attenborough started to see that something was wrong when he encountered whaling and overfishing. In the 90s the first signs that something was wrong with the climate when he saw coral reefs bleaching. He then went on to show what would happen if we continue abusing the earth and he did so in a way only he could. A horror movie even worse than Saw or Blair Witch: our earth even by the 2030s. This was so bad that I had to look away and I wanted to run out of the cinema and then Attenborough gave us hope: some really simple ways that we can avoid this. Eat less meat, don't have too many children, avoid waste: be this food, packaging or even time. Look at what Morocco are doing with their solar array, look at what Costa Rica are doing with their nature reserves, look at what the Netherlands are doing with their sustainable farming, they are the second largest exporter of food!
The second half of the viewing (at least for those of us watching at cinemas, not sure if Netflix viewers will ever get to see this) was a 50 mins Q&A, this was supposed to be a live event at the Royal Albert Hall. Alas, the pandemic scuppered those plans so instead we had this lovely conversation between Attenborough and Sir Michael Palin. Two of the greatest minds of our time and two of the funniest (I knew Palin was funny because of Monty Python but Attenborough was also very witty despite him now being 94). They answered many of the questions those of us watching had: what was it like to film? Is this your final work? And answered some of the questions we didn't know we had: what was the funniest encounter with a fan you have ever had (David's included a trip to Borneo and a massive tattoo of his face, Michael's included being mistook for Eric Idle). I came in at 6:50 for a 7pm start, I was out at 9pm and it took me a while to gather my emotions and even longer to write this (if you are still reading by this point - well done!) It also made me think about my role in all this, where do I fit in? Myself and my parents have decided to have more vegetarian food, plan meals to ensure less waste and try to go to fast food chains a little less. I hope that when this film comes out on Netflix that those of you who subscribe to it watch this film and are inspired to make some changes to your lives!

Hubie Halloween (7/10): Maybe I'm insane but I really enjoyed this, it's just simple Halloween fun. You know what you're getting with Adam Sandler but I thought this was one of his funnier films in all honesty. The plot was, well, barely existent - it just follows Sandler being a goofball for an hour and a half - but I was in stitches through some of it. If you're like me and have an immature sense of humor, I'd recommend giving this a watch for a chuckle.

I’ve just finished Shutter Island for the first time and it did not disappoint, extreme plot twist’s throughout and full of mind games to leave you guessing, another absolutely fantastic piece of cinematography by Scorsese, lead fantastically Di Caprio.

Just to give a little context... Shutter Island is a remote island home to what is referred to as a “Mental Asylum”. Teddy Daniels (Di Caprio) is sent to investigate a mysterious disappearance of a patient, when things take many unexpected turns throughout. A solid 8/10 for me, brilliant if you love psychological thrillers like myself.

Watched Soul tonight. Should've been a cinema release but was shifted to Disney+ a few months back.

Joe (voiced by Jamie Foxx) a school band teacher finally gets his big break only to fall down an open manhole. Dodging the great beyond he winds up in the great before and attempts to get back to his body before it's too late...

To start with its another stunning looking film with the different planes of existence all with their own colour palette. Earth has never looked so good. The character design is amazing, especially the Gerrys and Tony.

The plot and general message of the film is excellent and builds brilliantly throughout as Pixar who've previously given life to toys, created a society of monsters powered by human screams (then laughter), and made a trash compactor the most important being in the galaxy, tackle the question of what it means to be human.

Whilst in theme you'd be thinking it's of a similar tone to Inside Out (I'm still upset about Bing Bong) but this really isn't. Focusing on the human experience, why are we here, what are we all doing?

Would've loved to sit in the meetings around this film being pitched initially. It's possibly the most obscure and difficult to explain (and sell) Pixar have made.

For me the true Pixar Golden age was the run of Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up, and Toy Story 3. Soul comfortably sits up in the company of those.

Tenet (6/10): In all honesty, I had high expectations being a fan on Nolan but I was left with mixed emotions here. My main issue was the writing. It was far too over-complicated for a plot that at the core is very simplistic. Throughout the majority of the film you're left feeling lost but there's just nothing to really keep you invested besides the occasional interval of visually impressive action scenes. This is mainly due to forgettable characters that are quite wooden and undeveloped. There was no real attachment to anyone. It was the same with Dunkirk too so I think this is becoming a trend for modern Nolan films unfortunately. Also, without saying too much, though it succeeds at being intelligent at some points, there are some glaring plot holes that just make no sense whatsoever. That being said there are some cool unique elements as well as good performances from Rob Patterson and Elizabeth Debicki. Just feels like a wasted potential for what is actually a good concept.

Review for Mulan (2020) - Honestly when i first heard about this that there'd be no Eddie Murphy as Mushu or no mushu in general i was disappointed and couldn't be bothered to watch it when it first came out. However, i decided to watch it on Saturday and it was actually really good (don't judge anything until you've done it)! Final Score 8.5/10

Wonder Woman 1984: This had potential but ultimately it was a major disappointment. It was heavily forgettable; the plot was lazy, there was too much unnecessary talking, the CGI at points was laughable and there was just no excitement. The most enjoyable element was definitely Gal Gadot and Chris Pine's chemistry and some of the action sequences. Other than that it was a cringe induced bore with nothing to offer, which is a shame as I enjoyed some of DC's latest releases (5/10).

Godzilla vs Kong announcement....*sigh*

Where have all the good movies gone? you've got crap from DC atm, crap from Marvel.

Wandavision?........What the hell!

So I've been binging the original Star Trek films with my Dad. Here's a brief summary of them:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The magic is there with the original cast reuniting and some interesting character arcs but the plot is severely lacking. It's an awkward bridge of the show into movie and it's blatantly obvious (6.5/10)

Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan: The most memorable in the franchise and a true masterpiece in Sci-Fi. Brilliant suspense and excitement as well as "KHAAAANNNN!!!!" (10/10)

Star Trek III: Search For Spock: Massively underrated. Christopher Lloyd does a great job as a Clingon and probably Shatner's best performance. Some brilliant action here too (9/10)

Star Trek IV: Voyage From Home: It's a little goofy here and there but it's extremely entertaining throughout. There's an interesting dynamic with the return of Spock too. Far from the most exciting but it's good fun. (7/10)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: There's some laughably cringe inducing moments here. Some make you question the sanity of the writers. There's some enjoyable elements though. It completely nails the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic. Still, it's a total mess. (5/10)

Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country: That's better. The perfect conclusion to the original crew and a love letter to the series. It tries to please every fan and it definitely succeeds (10/10)

Saw the news they'd started working on Paddington 3, I'd not seen the first two so decided to right that wrong this evening.

Two absolutely marvellous films, in fact the sequel is better than the original. Featuring a fantastic turn from Hugh Grant.
Such a polite and kind bear.

Last edited: