• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

The worst thing about Despicable Me 4 was when I realised it's definitely just setting up the next Minions film with Gru attending that school in the 80s.

But yeah it definitely felt the most stretched out of the series so far as they struggled to think of things for half the cast to do.

But yeah it definitely felt the most stretched out of the series so far as they struggled to think of things for half the cast to do.
Yeah I think that's fair and pretty much how I felt. It felt pumped out to keep the franchise alive (by setting up the next minions film) and grab cash. Nothing interesting about the plot really. The main villain was forgettable, so was the girl from next door, the baby is just there to add an additional character because you'd assume by now they would have had one together, and it lacks the warmness of previous movies. Especially the first movie, which I thought was an excellent, heartfelt, warm movie packed with jokes (classics such as "I sit on the toilet" and the hilarious Three Little Kittens book read).

It just pumps out formulaic Minion slapstick as a side plot due to the main plot being so weak, that sometimes hits, sometimes doesn't. Gru and Lucy don't really do anything. Neither do the girls. You think something interesting is going to happen with the couple next door, but it never does. It feels like the Despicable Me franchise equivalent of a post season 9 Simpsons episode. Just kind of there for the hell of it to keep merchandise sales going.

Coraline 3D anniversary re-release. I saw it in 3D the cinema when it came out, it's my 5 year olds favourite film so I've seen it in 2D hundreds of times since.

Aside from it bring an incredible film in its own right, and surely one of the most terrifying PGs ever released, it might just about be the pinnacle of 3D films. While sometimes its a silly gimmick, here it brings so much to the depth and emersion. It is done so cleverly though that when you watch in 2D it doesn't make you think it should be in 3D, which a lot of films of the time did by having odd things in prominence that would be specical in 3D but a distraction in 2D. When it can be this good it's a shame 3D film has fallen out of favour.

It also has a wonderful little making of documentary at the end. Strong reccomend.

Cracking film that, think when the 3D fad reared it's head back in the late 2000s Coraline was the first film I saw in that format.

I forgot to say. I watched 'Wonka' a few weeks ago. I fully went into it trying to suspend my disbelief and appreciate that I'm not the target audience. Unfortunately it was pretty tragic. Just followed the same old formulaic storylines and characters and got a bit boring. Not worth recommending to the niece and nephew. I was really willing it to be good too.

Saw Alien Romulus last night.

Very much more of the same, it felt more of a greatest hits of the alien franchise. It’s not top tier but it’s not one of the shit ones.

It’s well made, has one very jarring creative decision.

The soul sucking unoriginal Hollywood film franchises continue…