• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

NoW iS nOt ThE tImE tO rEsIgN!

Say all the Twitter bots.
In fairness, I don’t think it is the time for him to resign, personally. When we’re dealing with something like the Ukraine crisis, I think we need a stable government to help guide our response to that.

In fairness, I don’t think it is the time for him to resign, personally. When we’re dealing with something like the Ukraine crisis, I think we need a stable government to help guide our response to that.

Wouldn't be the first time the UK have removed an incumbent PM during a crisis.

But people don't care about the lying and corruption currently rife because there's ALWAYS some other reason why we can't talk about things. It's like when the Americans say "now is not the time to talk about gun violence" after a mass shooting.

Then again you get some MPs defending others who have been charged with sexual abuse. So there's no level they won't shrink to.

The problem is there really isn't ever a good time for a PM to resign, there's always something going on, however Boris and Sunak should resign immediately, but we all know they won't. A vote of no confidence also looks unlikely too unfortunately so it would appear we are stuck with the first PM to be convicted of a crime while in office.

Too soon to tell.
The old school mandarins and senior backbenchers will decide if he goes or not.
They know if they keep him them may well lose the next election.
But then again, we all knew he was a lying racist fool before he got elected.

Muslim women looking like letterboxes, african people having watermelon smiles, tank topped bum boys, piccaninnies waiving their flags.
There are lots more Boris nasties out there.
I think the indy did a top ten quite recently after a "Well of course black lives matter" comment.

So a lad at a Uni a few years ago, had a party for his birthday during lockdown. Kicked out if Uni, fined ten grand, whole life ruined.

Turns out Boris was partying at the same time. But Boris is like "let's all just move on from this."

Really angers me that. What a punt. Typo intended.

Oh come on, we are not even at war (currently). Besides, I can't imagine anyone else who could make more of a hash of things than Boris has.

Russia has had a "stable government" for decades. Look how that turned out.

I see where @Matt N was coming from however everyone here is absolutely right, there is no reason why Boris can't leave now, in fact it may actually be helpful. If we got someone who's seen a tough, and comes in imposing more sanctions and also being a lot more friendly to our European allies it would actually help the situation.

Part of where I was coming from is that President Zelenskyy of Ukraine (apologies if I spelt his name wrong) has actually praised Boris/the UK as being one of the country’s strongest allies so far in the crisis; when he ranked all of the NATO countries’ level of helpfulness so far (in terms of military aid etc.), the UK ranked very highly and Zelenskyy had a lot of praise for Boris compared to other NATO leaders, so he’s clearly doing something right with how Britain is dealing with the Ukraine crisis.

With that in mind, perhaps keeping Boris in while the Ukraine crisis is still raging wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Also, I think it’s important for the UK’s government to display a stable, united front on the world stage to make the Kremlin take the West seriously and ensure that we’re not letting our guard down. I know that the UK is only a small part of the West, but even if one leader changed in non-election circumstances, it would distract from the crisis. Putin might see that as “the West in political disarray” and choose to escalate the military action due to the UK (and by extension, “the West”, as Putin seems to view all of the Western countries as a collective) appearing politically weakened and preoccupied with changing their leader.

I might not have phrased that in the best way, but do you get what I mean?

Last edited:
Part of where I was coming from is that President Zelenskyy of Ukraine (apologies if I spelt his name wrong) has actually praised Boris/the UK as being one of the country’s strongest allies so far in the crisis; when he ranked all of the NATO countries’ level of helpfulness so far (in terms of military aid etc.), the UK ranked very highly and Zelenskyy had a lot of praise for Boris compared to other NATO leaders, so he’s clearly doing something right with how Britain is dealing with the Ukraine crisis.

With that in mind, perhaps keeping Boris in while the Ukraine crisis is still raging wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Also, I think it’s important for the UK’s government to display a stable, united front on the world stage to make the Kremlin take the West seriously and ensure that we’re not letting our guard down. I know that the UK is only a small part of the West, but even if one leader changed in non-election circumstances, it would distract from the crisis. Putin might see that as “the West in political disarray” and choose to escalate the military action due to the UK (and by extension, “the West”, as Putin seems to view all of the Western countries as a collective) appearing politically weakened and preoccupied with changing their leader.

Our support of Ukraine and distaste for Russia has nothing to do with Johnson, in fact he allowed Oligarchs to use London as a cash base. The UK foreign policy has always aligned with the US and away from Russia, it has since the 1950’s. Germany and the Eastern European nations have always been a little more wedded to Russian business interests.

Still winds me up that he is so frequently referred to as Boris rather than Johnson. All part of the problem, he’s seen as this fun jovial comedy character by the name of Boris. How many other world leaders do we regularly call by their first name? Certainly not Joe, Emmanuel, Vladimir, Olaf, Scott etc.

Still winds me up that he is so frequently referred to as Boris rather than Johnson. All part of the problem, he’s seen as this fun jovial comedy character by the name of Boris. How many other world leaders do we regularly call by their first name? Certainly not Joe, Emmanuel, Vladimir, Olaf, Scott etc.
Interestingly, people never referred to previous British leaders by their first name either, from memory; it was always “May” instead of “Theresa”, and it was also “Cameron” instead of “David”, from memory. I wonder what makes Boris Johnson different?

Interestingly, people never referred to previous British leaders by their first name either, from memory; it was always “May” instead of “Theresa”, and it was also “Cameron” instead of “David”, from memory. I wonder what makes Boris Johnson different?

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie...

All I know is that as a public servant if I had broken lockdown rules I would have been sacked.

Politics Matt, he's praising him to make sure he gets his way. Anyway as @Dave said our support for Ukraine is basically very little to do with Johnson, the defence secretory probably has far more influence than Boris in that regard.

For me I call him Boris or BoJo as a lack of respect for him. Other leaders, even if I don't politically agree with them at least had some respect for the office they hold unlike Boris who clearly hasn't. Almost all other world leaders, past and present I refer to by there last name. It is interesting though that clearly Boris uses that name as a PR stunt, it's very well organised and people see him as a mate down the pub rather than a politician.

No memory of 'Call me Dave'?

I don't think there's any great mystery or conspiracy tbh, press/people latch on to the most distinctive part of a name which tends to be the surname.