• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Uk theme parks future generations?

Theme Parks need to offer unique immersive experiences. Legoland is the only one of Merlin's parks that understands that to some degree. It shrinks you to the size of a Lego figure, especially if you are under 10. Madame Tussaudsand the London Eye offer that too. Those attractions are the better parts of Merlins estate.

Expecting the general public to retain an interest in something that has nothing unique to offer, in this age of shortening attention spans, is stupid. Offer unique experiences, and people will pay for those.

Theme parks like the WB Studios tour show you can make theme parks work, if you can provide that unique experience. The Secret Cinema showings, concerts, sports events etc.. all offer something you have to see on THAT occasion, or you miss out.
If you don"t go to Alton Towers this year; the same experience will be there next year... so why bother at all?
Disney are much better at that, offering limited seasons and festivals to get the locals in, so they don't miss out on that event.

Personally, I think theme parks are simply going out of fashion.
Alton got good attendance by cutting the cost of entry drastically through their "Six Flags" season pass offer.
Blackpol spends sixteen million pounds on a new coaster, and attendance drops.
Thorpe seems rudderless.

Looks like Gullivers Rotherham is our only hope.

Alton towers season pass creates that "do it this year or miss out" thing.
If you don't buy the pass today, that offer has gone.... once you have the pass, you HAVE to use it a few times, or you are missing out...

That worked for them, at least short term whilst they also had something new to offer in 2018....
They need something better than a generic dungeon to pull it off again.

A season of shows, a new 4D cinema show, meet and greets with Shrek / KungFu Panda etc... that would look like something interesting on TV to get that first visit to happen... then follow up with that cheap season pass to keep them hooked for the year.
The coaster enthusiasts would see through that, but families are more easily influenced by advertisements and typically come in groups of 4.

I think people are also just getting sick of being completely ripped off in this country and getting less for it though, culturally. Go back 15-20 years and there was a bit of a stigma about going into charity shops and £1 stores whereas nowadays people wear getting a bargain as a badge of pride. We're less willing to be ripped off and are always looking for the best value, now aided by the growth of the internet which has co-incided with that. People are being asked to pay a premium price to enter theme parks and then pay extortionate prices for food and drink etc when inside the parks. People don't like that, especially when you're spending most of your time waiting in queues which is poor value for your money and your time.

Firms like Merlin need to stop this 'Capex' cycle rubbish or whatever it is also, where one park gets some money one year, then another park gets the cash the next year and so forth. They need to look at each individual park and look at the problems on an individual basis and spend the money required when necessary. Not sure if Towers is still their flagship venue but if it is they need to treat it accordingly with regards to budget. They need someone to look at the glaringly obvious shortcomings such as a lack of proper flat rides to help soak up the queues and just allow a budget to install and run a few extra. Not gonna hold my breath though for common sense to prevail.

They must be destroyed.
Well they must be broken up at least to allow the parks to run themselves better, destroy the monopoly.

It's the Merlin deals and Merlin annual pass that has increased visitors to Chessington, not the appeal of the park. But it's interesting how the European parks are a lot more individual, developing and managing their parks the way they know best, while for years they have joined up with each other with visitor deals to support one another while staying competitive.

The Plopsa annual pass gets you discounts on near enough every other major park in the Benelux, plus Phantasialand and Europa!

Though Plopsa as a brand aren't the best example of individuality on an overall scale (granted, the parks do get some differences in their additions, but the C&P static models are more what I mean on that side), I would love to see them get their mitts on Chessie... Though I'm not sure on the current state of Holiday Park a few years into their reign...

I think people are also just getting sick of being completely ripped off in this country and getting less for it though, culturally. ... We're less willing to be ripped off and are always looking for the best value...

WB Studios tour, £43 no discounts, and often booked up 3 months ahead....
Secret Cinema, £40-79 and they sell out at those prices
Big name concert tickets are over £50 each
Walt Disney World is c. $120 each for a day ticket!
Cirque de Soleil wants £47+ for UK shows...

People want bargains for generic stuff, but they will also splash out for unique experiences.

I want to walk through Aardman Land in Blackpool, get taken on a boat through the Medieval streets of Alton Towers, meet Darth Vader in Disney [which I can do] or fly with the Dragons Riders of Berk at Chessington.... but I get a rattly old coaster that was there when I was a kid.

The fact I am on this forum shows I am going to go to theme parks regularly anyway.... but I think the offering (particularly or the Merlin parks) comes across as stale to the general public. Its essentially trying to sell the same experience it was 20 years ago, and they did that back then. Offer something unique, they haven't seen before... and the price point becomes less important.

You really can’t add the Disney Tickets or Universal as uk guests get them cheaper than buying over there. Also the big different is with Disney vs Merlin.
You enter the parks:
At Disney your greeted with smiling faces and asked how can I help you.
At Alton buy a unlimited food plan or refillable drink.
Walking down towards the main hub:
At Disney they ask if you like to have your picture taken which is added to on your app for free with the memory maker
At Alton lots of staff want to take your picture but you have to pay for your picture.
Queue lines
Disney you have more than likely already selected 3 fast passes for rides and can add more once you been on your 3rd choice and again included in your Park tickets.
At Alton you see the queue times and your only option is queue up all day and maybe you get to go on all the big coasters or you pay more by buying fast track tickets.
Food:
At Disney we always stay on site and taken the free food offer which is 2 counter service meals and 2 snacks with unlimited hot or cold drinks on resort with your refillable mug.
Epcot has the best theme park food in the world.
At Alton there a good choice of food and is ok priced.
Entertainment:
At Disney it’s everywhere you turn from meet and greets,parades,nightly fireworks the list is endless
At Alton unless you go during scarefest the only entertainment is in CBeebies land.
Themeing and rides
At Disney for a park that is 50 years old in 2021 it still looks as good as it did in 1971. The rides are for all ages from 0 to 100+ they make you feel like a kid again.
At Alton under Tussaud’s they really did work well building great rides In a well themed area but last year Merlin really surprised me how well themed a area can be done with the Wickerman it’s should a shame to look round the park now and seeing rides/attractions SBNO and rides removed and not replaced.