• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

I'd disagree with that also. The Nintendo Switch has performed very well so far and something like Mario is always going to be popular!

:)

Performing well compared to what? The wii u or cube? They are having nowhere near the success they had with the SNES for instance. Improved performance yes. Success no.
It’s safe to say that Microsoft and Sony are not one but concerned about Nintendo currently.

It's not doing too badly compared to the PS4; Nintendo are targetting to ship over 25 million units of the Switch in its second year which would be more than the PS4 (17.7 million units). And it out performed the PS4 in Japan in terms of sales over the first 30 weeks each console was available:

800px-Switch%2C_Wii_U%2C_and_PS4_first-year_sales_in_Japan.png

Link for if image not displaying.

Sony and Microsoft may not be concerned, but I'm sure that Nintendo are pretty pleased!

And to drag this back on topic, Mario is a perfect fit for a theme park and has such a wide appeal. It may not be as popular as Harry Potter but Universal are on to a winner.

Mario is a very well-known character, he's been around for over 30 years so easily makes sense for a family area of a theme park. Zelda is maybe a bit more niche but again the games have been around for about 30 years so there is long-term appeal.

Reactions: Rob
I agree that Zelda has more of a niche appeal. I'd imagine that is why they are planning on utilising the Zelda IP in a brand new park, that way they would not be reliant on just Zelda in a marketing campaign.

It's not doing too badly compared to the PS4; Nintendo are targetting to ship over 25 million units of the Switch in its second year which would be more than the PS4 (17.7 million units). And it out performed the PS4 in Japan in terms of sales over the first 30 weeks each console was available:

800px-Switch%2C_Wii_U%2C_and_PS4_first-year_sales_in_Japan.png

Link for if image not displaying.

Sony and Microsoft may not be concerned, but I'm sure that Nintendo are pretty pleased!

And to drag this back on topic, Mario is a perfect fit for a theme park and has such a wide appeal. It may not be as popular as Harry Potter but Universal are on to a winner.

Question is what did PS4 ship at its peak? :)

Ageee on the mario thing though a very strong brand with plenty of iconic characters. A mario kart ride would be awesome

Performing well compared to what? The wii u or cube? They are having nowhere near the success they had with the SNES for instance. Improved performance yes. Success no.
It’s safe to say that Microsoft and Sony are not one but concerned about Nintendo currently.

In a world where consumers have more choice than ever. They are doing very well.

The console has sold and is selling really well. It may not have sold as many as previous consoles, yet. But the rate they are selling at is huge.
The Nintendo first party games have been extremely well recieved and have won multiple awards. Some of Nintendos first party IP games released for the switch have been rated some of the best games of the year, from acoss all platforms.
Huge third party publishers are supporting the console with games, such as Bethesda softworks, Rockstar Games and even Sony! Securing 3rd party developers is something Nintendo have struggled with previously as developers wont release games on a console if there is not a big enough market.
Nintentos
Their share price has also skyrocketed, so they are certainly doing something right.

Great time for Universal to put Nintendo IP's in their parks. Nintendo IP's are huge, back in a big way and very popular.

Apparently Universal could finally be updating the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit soundtrack options in 2019, as according to Screamscape, they are currently doing a survey on riders about music options and what they thought of the experience. Here's the Screamscape link:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_florida.htm
Good thing if they are, some of the current soundtrack options are a tad dated in 2017.

Yes you do, but only with certain hotels. I know the hard rock hotel do but can’t remember the other ones.
Hard rock
Loews Portofino Bay
Loews Royal Pacific Resort
Hope this helps

Last edited:
You only get the express pass (excludes volcano Bay) if staying at the following 3 hotels- Hard Rock, royal Pacific & Portofino Bay.

If you stop in Sapphire Falls, Cabana bay or the new Aventura hotel you don’t get express pass but due to get 1 hr early entry to Harry Potter and Volcano Bay.

There have been some constrction photos of the new Harry Potter area in IOA posted on Twitter by bioreconstruct:

DWB-YSDXUAAeTE-.jpg

DWB9qRHXcAQvdNi.jpg

Things have moved on fairly quickly, and it looks like Dueling Dragon's station building will be staying as part of the new area. Got to admit I do find that rather strange, it will be interesting to see how Universal make it fit in.

A launched terrain coaster is thought to be the most likely main ride for this project.

I'd really like a Hippogriff-themed launched B&M Wing. But I don't see JK Rowling approving that. So with my realistic hat on, I reckon an Intamin motocoaster would be a good fit. If we're lucky, it might be a Taron-esque ride with tons of theming round it.