Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Good chance that this could open before F.L.Y. then...!

Alsty, DiogoJ42 and Mattmash like this.
  2. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    At this rate, so will Orphan Rocker.

3. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Everyone loves a good leak, right? Well some photos of a couple of models for the Universal Nintendo themed lands have leaked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is worth noting that these photos/models are from 2016 and appear to represent the cancelled KidZone replacement at Universal Studios Orlando. This has now all moved to Universal's yet to be built third park in Orlando.

It sounds like all Universal resorts are getting this land one way or another. Japan is likely getting all of the Mario stuff including the Yoshi dark ride. Hollywood is getting the Mario Kart dark ride and some of the Mushroom Kingdom. I suspect Orlando will get all of the above including the Donkey Kong area/coaster. And it turns out that Singapore is getting Nintendo as well now!

Matt N, Ted, Mi-Nigle and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I see why they are going all in on Nintendo, it's a great IP. But, I'm not convinced it's going to cross over well into the real world. I can see it looking very plastic* and tacky.

*and this is in comparison to Legoland whose whole thing is plastic.

DiogoJ42 and Ian like this.
  5. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster
    I think you’ve probably hit the nail on the head there for me. I’ve been trying to put my finger on it for a while what it is that makes me uneasy about this project, and I think you’ve summed it up.

Agree 100% that the brands are strong, and I don’t doubt that the hardware will be solid. But I think I'm with you that it might not translate into reality well in the area itself.

No doubt the rides will, in true Universal style, utilise screens throughout which will certainly play to the strengths of this theme.

I’d almost say the same about the Springfield area in Studios. I love the concept, and the headline attraction is great, but the area on the whole just feels a bit... Cheap?

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  6. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

How many screens does Hagrid’s use? I’ve watched a number of POVs and I can’t see any apart from the pre show.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  7. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

None, and I understand that their use on Mario Kart will be very limited, too.

8. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Indeed. The Nintendo themed rides are not screen-centric at all. Universal have realised that they got a bit carried away when it came to screens in rides and are taking a new approach going forward.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  9. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Surely the only way they could do justice to a "computer graphics" theme would be to not bother building anything, and just hand out VR goggles to every guest?
    ... In about ten years time, once the technology has finally caught up with the fad that will have long since passed. ;)

10. Austin Towers

Austin Towers TowersStreet Member

Plastic Person and Tim like this.
  11. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Thanks for the link.

On the subject of screens I completely agree that Universal have become too reliant on them, but in Nintendo's case I think you have to go screen (by which I mean projection) heavy. I'd like to see rides similar to Spiderman, where the game characters are projections so they keep the game like feel but the set pieces are real.

I hope the anti-screen backlash doesn't force them to fill the world with plastic figurines like Lego have done with their life size minifigures.

12. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I'd like to think the Hagrid coaster has given a glimmer of hope that proper animatronics are starting to make a comeback.

I'd like to think that. Only time will tell.

Doublethink likes this.
  13. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Orlando Park Stop seem to have got hold of some details regarding the Yoshi themed dark ride in Super Nintendo World. The article gives an idea of what to expect in some of the scenes as well as character/object lists for the ride. And here is the layout:

[​IMG]

On first viewing it does look quite short but I am sure it will be a great family ride.

Matt N likes this.
  14. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    It might well be made so that the ride stops in certain sections or moves at a slow speed, especially as it is an omnimover; I wouldn't imagine the layout for something like Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion would look particularly long on an overhead plan, yet those are fine in terms of duration. Interesting to see Universal use an omnimover system, though; I'm not sure if they've ever used an omnimover system before!

Also, the short length could be beneficial if it's an attraction intended for really young children, as they may not necessarily like it.

I'm presuming this ride will go in the 3rd park, though? Not Kidzone as was originally planned? I agree that it looks like a good family attraction!

15. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    You are right, overhead plans often make rides such as this appear shorter than they really are.

We will be seeing this Yoshi ride in the third park though yes, along with Universal Japan and Singapore.

Matt N likes this.