• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Versus - which is the better coaster?

Scott.Smith

TS Member
Oblivion one of Alton Towers headline rides which boasts the worlds first vertical drop, and constant warning video's about the dangers Oblivion could have on you.

Saw, One of Thorpe Parks many rides however uses a world wide franchise and the theming of the coaster allows the riders feel involved in the film also hosts a more than vertical drop with many inversions and tight twists that Oblivion does not have and will never have.
Get posting below WHY!!!

oblivionofficial02.jpg

saw-the-ride.jpg

Oblivion vs Saw

In my opinion, they aren't comparable. I guess it's because Oblivion, for me, is very much the experience of the drop, rather than a fully fledged coaster layout.

I have ridden Saw once an hated every second of it.

Re: Oblivion vs Saw

I agree Saw is rather Rough, however Oblivion is very very very Smooth and provides a experience that is unique worldwide

It's very hard to compare these two very distinguishable and different rides, the most they share is the steep drop but beyond that it's tricky. A better example would be comparing SAW's intensity to Nemesis' (*awaits boos from Nemesites*) or Oblivion's one shot exhilaration to Stealth's as both sets are equally intimidating and would create more rounded discussion :)

In my opinion I don't think you can really compare the two as they're both different in design, intensity etc... I would reiterate what Rowe has said if you want a well rounded discussion in terms of comparisons with both SAW and Oblivion. :)

I agree, they are two different rides that happen to share a vaguely similar element. I think Oblivion trumps SAW for the intimidation, Oblivion's trick is to postpone the time before the drop as much as possible too build suspense, SAW on the other hand is just an of the peg eurofighter with a fantastic dark ride section. That and I';m not a huge fan of IP's, especially when they are used as sloppily as Thorpe does. If a ride relies on only the IP to make it a unique ride then the ride its self isn't that great.

Well again it has to be oblivion, SAW is just a bit to generic when you get past the indoor section. And Oblivion is just superior suspense wise.

Blivvy.

But you can't really compare as apart from the vertical & beyond vertical drop they are nothing alike. One is a B&M Dive Machine, designed to build anticipation to its single, thrilling feature and the other is a Gerstlauer Eurofighter, built to thrill with multiple inversions.

A much more comparable poll would be SW7 vs Saw (next season) but for the sake of this thread... Blivvy. Hands down. Although I do like Saw...

Oblivion is one of Alton Towers' headline coasters, it stands intimidatingly over the hole in the ground as plumes of smoke bellow out. SAW: The Ride is one of The Nation's Thrill Capital's most intimidating experiences. To compare the two, I've decided to break the review up into the following:

• Theme
  • Coaster: Meat and Potatoes
  • Overall Experience

Theme

Oblivion is themed around, just that, a sinister place in which you are not to enter. The main pieces of theming for Oblivion are dotted around its spiral queue line which include a piece of space debris, a man stood in the dark shouting at you, and Ben and Jerry's machines. Oblivion's theme is fairly strong, and I know this may be controversial, but I think it's fairly dated. Oblivion reaks of early 2000s millennium bug: everything from the fonts used to the graphics is very late nineties. Is this a problem? Not necessarily. It's just one of my bugbears with the ride, it is very dated.

As far as queue line theming for Oblivion, there is some, but it isn't as in you face, or obvious as that found on SAW.

SAW the ride, is based on the movie franchise which shares its name. It's fairly well themed, with a good variety of theming from; a man shouting at you in the dark, a collection of mannequins which make Jigsaw's hideout seem fairly similar to the back of a large clothing retailer and a police car. As far as queuelines go, there's no massive hill to climb in a circle, instead you're treated to what must be described as being a cow before the slaughter. As SAW is newer, it is nowhere near as dated as Oblivion, but it is well themed from the outside.

Inside theming

Oblivion, as it's not a dark coaster hybrid like SAW has very little theming other than a continuation of 90s Milena. SAW has some really good inside pieces, I really like both the queue and the inside bathroom scene. As far as shouting men in the dark go, both Jigsaw and the Lord of Darkness seem to be on a loop, suggesting they'll both have very sore throats by 3pm close (Or whatever Merlin have decided this week)

Coaster: Meat and Potatoes

This may sound an odd topic for review, but the bare bones of the rides are completely different. Oblivion is a one shock drop, one trick pony, SAW is a painful rough bounce upside down left right and centre. In terms of drops, Oblivion has far more force, but SAW has no time to consider what will happen when you make it down the drop. I don't think I can make a comparison of anything other than the drop, of which I prefer Oblivion.

Fear factor

I hate SAW because the inside dark ride section always manages to make me jump, when you're outside I have no real fear.It is after all just a series of bounces and loops. Oblivion however scares me sheetless even to this day because of that drop. Oblivion scares the pants off you, SAW does, but SAW's scare tactics are more, what's that in the dark... BOO! Harpoons! (Or whatever they're meant to be)

Shouting men in the dark

The Lord of Darkness looks like a smart price John Simms, whilst Billy the Doll put a suit on for the occasion. For that reason alone, I prefer Billy. Although Alton Towers being where it is, it's probably very hard to but anything other than farming equipment, manure and diggers.

So overall, what do I prefer? SAW, makes me laugh, but bangs my girlfriend's piercings so much I don;t get to ride very much, and Oblivion scares me shitless. Probably Oblivion, because I've never queued for it ever.

One thing is for sure - the Oblivion theme and ride system allows for more suspense prior to the ride. Whereas SAW has the mini-drop and barrel roll almost straight away on the indoor section - the slow lift hill and turnaround on Oblivion build up the anticipation much more effectively. And that is without mentioning the queueline videos which in my opinion are more clever than simply adapting a film franchise to a ride.

What is the point of this? of course most people will say Oblivion because this is an Alton site! Seriously though, it's like going on to a Microsoft forum and asking "Who's better, Microsoft or Sony" It's pointless ::)

Eddie said:
What is the point of this? of course most people will say Oblivion because this is an Alton site! Seriously though, it's like going on to a Microsoft forum and asking "Who's better, Microsoft or Sony" It's pointless ::)

Some people on this Forum have never been to Alton Towers

Scott.Smith said:
Eddie said:

I don't think there's a lot of people on this forum who have not been to Alton. It is an Alton fansite!

Eddie said:

I think people on here are quite objective, certainly more so than those on other park forums. For example, if you polled people on what was the better coaster Air or Tatsu - people are not going to say Air just because it's an Alton ride.

You can't compare saw and oblivion they are to total different rides it would be better to compare the two nemesis rides

Eddie said:
Scott.Smith said:
Eddie said:

I don't think there's a lot of people on this forum who have not been to Alton. It is an Alton fansite!

Seems like one person needs to "GET. A. LIFE." according to the poll. Although only riding one, both are decent looking coasters and create the fear that they intended to in their respective areas but I believe that Oblivion has had a long lasting effect on the park and is memeroble. Saw you wouldn't list as Thorpe's most recognizable ride for fear factor.

josht said:
You can't compare saw and oblivion they are to total different rides it would be better to compare the two nemesis rides

The two Nemesis's are sooooo obviouse to choose from though i predict that Nemesis is going to win. End Off